Vancouver Check-In - Slow??

We checked in at the main port in Vancouver in 2007. I just remember standing in a loooooong line that snaked around in order to get through security. Is that the norm or did we just hit it on a bad day or hour?

We checked in at the main port in Vancouver in 2007. I just remember standing in a loooooong line that snaked around in order to get through security. Is that the norm or did we just hit it on a bad day or hour?

Could depend on a few factors but probably you came when it was most crowded. At Canada Place, I've found the longest wait to be checking in and boarding where I've had to wait in line twice...annoying. Especially when they have you sit down at several of the rows of chairs and then call your row later. For your 9/16 sail date the Island Princess will be boarding as well. That ship isnt as large as others so I doubt the waits will be too long. It may be heading on a repositioning cruise too and not sail full. Canada Place struggles when ships over 2000pax show up; it just wasn't designed to handle that, particularly in the west berth.

The difference with Canada Place and other cruise terminals is that if your cruise is going to Alaska or repositioning to the lower 48 or even Hawaii then in addition to the normal security you must clear US customs at the pier....so you have double the checks then at a US port. The other factor that will influence lines is the number of CBP officers the service deigns to turn out that day.

• 3 weeks later...

I went through Canada Place last Tuesday. One ship. No clearance to USA and at 2 PM no wait at Security and 10 mins at ships Ticket check in.

Got off on BLACK Friday. Three ships in. Masses of folks getting off and being met by tours etc. I can only conjure up bad thoughts what getting on to leave that day would be like.

If there are two ships or more and depending on if clearance to USA requirements there still will be some lengthy delays. Be early or be late(ish).

I left out of Vancouver on May 17 for an Alaskan cruise. Their were 2 ships that day - the Radiance of the Seas and the Millineum. It was a bit of a madhouse but I got there at 11 and was on the ship in 45 minutes. The lines were much longer for those arriving in the afternoon. There were 3 lines if I remember correctly -- security, customs and cruiseline. I made the mistake of getting back off the ship in the afternoon (an officer told me "no problem" and said I would not have to go through customs again -- he was wrong). I had to wait about 1 hour in the customs line that time. -- Anyway- the cruise was great. I loved Vancouver and Alaska.

Archived