Concierge Class question

warmwinds

What are the hors d'oeuvres like that they serve you in the late afternoon? Are they different every day? If you are on early seating, is it too much food too close together? Do they just knock on your door and bring them in, or do they call first? Do you tip for this (as you would room service)?

They are brought by your cabin steward. It is included in the cost of CC class so no you do not tip for their delivery.

Honestly, we had them one day and never asked for them again. I don't think there was enough food to ruin even an early seating. Next time we will ask for fruit or cheese and crackers instead.

What are the hors d'oeuvres like that they serve you in the late afternoon? Are they different every day? If you are on early seating, is it too much food too close together? Do they just knock on your door and bring them in, or do they call first? Do you tip for this (as you would room service)?

To answer your questions in order:

The hors d'oeuvres are six little snackie-things on a plate, such as a melon ball with prosciutto on a tiny round of toast, or caviar on a little toast point. My DH and I quite like them, but I think we may be in the minority.:)

They rotate a few different hors d'oeuvres so that you don't get the same things every day.

It's not a particularly substantial snack, so it's unlikely to ruin your appetite for dinner - your mileage may vary!

They just knock on the door and bring them in. They don't call first.

You don't need to tip directly for this, but this is one of the reasons that they recommend a slightly higher tip for CC stewards.

If I took Flagger's advice and had cheese and crackers or fruit brought to me every day instead, then I would directly tip the person delivering it, or tip the steward even more if it was always them doing the delivery.

I think the hors d'oeuvres are one of the nice extras that make Concierge Class worth doing.

Lisa

So many people seem to hate the canapes but mom and I enjoyed them when we were on Horizon. Our Steward would leave them in our room if we weren't there, and we'd either eat them when we came in in the afternoons or we'd save them for a late-night snack.

Interestingly enough, for some reason when we were in CC on Century last year we never got any canapes. I would see the steward go by with them and figured they were just for the suites, and then later I found out that we were supposed to get them too. So, if you don't see yours -- ask.

I was happier with the canapes when I asked that the fishy ones be left out as I wasn't keen on those. If you have your favourites, don't be afraid to ask.

The first couple of years they were on crispy biscuit type things and the last time were served on a small piece of bread, which I preferred. They were nice with a glass of wine before dinner and thankfully didn't ruin my appetite (heaven forbid):) BTW I hated the piped blue cheese!

Phil

I am allergic to shrimp, and others we know said the bread they were on tasted stale. The first night we asked for cheese and crackers and the cheese was wonderful, but I don't like water crackers. They are too bland for me. After the first night we just got fruit and cheese and it was great. Usually there were three small pieces of cheese and slices of melon and maybe a few grapes. We loved that. Not too much before dinner. Our cabin steward delivered them every night and he's the one we asked to change from the standard ones.

Katie

but they tasted stale to us. They had everything from caviar to shrimp to proscutto, ham salad, everyone was different every night for 2 weeks. But we are desciding to have shrimp cocktail or something else delivered if the first batch are still stale tasting...........

but they tasted stale to us. They had everything from caviar to shrimp to proscutto, ham salad, everyone was different every night for 2 weeks. But we are desciding to have shrimp cocktail or something else delivered if the first batch are still stale tasting...........

I had the same experience. I never had a topping I didn't like, but the toasted bread ones always tasted stale to us. We also asked for more fruit, crackers and cheese and were very happy.

Terri

Archived