Quick Question about Deposits

kruzerci

Hi!

First off, I'm not familiar with Princess so please bear with me! I'm looking at Princess for a Mexican Riviera cruise because they have nice itineraries and Royal Caribbean doesn't sail to the region. I just have a couple of quick questions about deposits.

Is there a standard deposit ($100, $250, etc) for 7 day cruises?

Is the deposit refundable up until final payment date? I know it is on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but I'm not sure about Princess? If it is not, can I change the date of the cruise outside of final payment for free?

Thank you!

Hi!

First off, I'm not familiar with Princess so please bear with me! I'm looking at Princess for a Mexican Riviera cruise because they have nice itineraries and Royal Caribbean doesn't sail to the region. I just have a couple of quick questions about deposits.

Is there a standard deposit ($100, $250, etc) for 7 day cruises?

Is the deposit refundable up until final payment date? I know it is on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, but I'm not sure about Princess? If it is not, can I change the date of the cruise outside of final payment for free?

Thank you!

I don't believe there's a specific dollar amount but rather a percentage and it's based upon the length of the cruise - this was info I'd gotten from my TA. For my upcoming 7-day cruise my deposit was 15% of the cost.

The deposit is normally fully refundable until final payment day.

However, Princess sometimes has sales with "nonrefundable deposit". In these cases, the deposit is not refundable. However, this happens only for specific sales, and the nonrefundable deposit is clearly stated for these specific sales.

I believe the deposit is a percentage of the cruise fare, but I'm not sure because I haven't paid a normal deposit for several years. When onboard your first cruise, you may purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCC) for $100 per person (these can only be purchased onboard). The FCC is good as the deposit for any Princess cruise (except a World Cruise segment) - it is lower than the normal deposit and it provides extra on-board credit.

Also Princess provides onboard credits if you are a military veteran (US or Canada or some specific other countries) or if you own 100 shares stock in Carnival Corporation.

Welcome to Princess.

The deposit is normally fully refundable until final payment day.

However, Princess sometimes has sales with "nonrefundable deposit". In these cases, the deposit is not refundable. However, this happens only for specific sales, and the nonrefundable deposit is clearly stated for these specific sales.

I believe the deposit is a percentage of the cruise fare, but I'm not sure because I haven't paid a normal deposit for several years. When onboard your first cruise, you may purchase a Future Cruise Deposit (FCC) for $100 per person (these can only be purchased onboard). The FCC is good as the deposit for any Princess cruise (except a World Cruise segment) - it is lower than the normal deposit and it provides extra on-board credit.

Also Princess provides onboard credits if you are a military veteran (US or Canada or some specific other countries) or if you own 100 shares stock in Carnival Corporation.

Welcome to Princess.

I think the normal percentage is in the 20% range, but I could be wrong.

We've used FCCs for every cruise since our first, since its such a great deal, but on the last cruise we noticed the time period to use the credit has dropped from 4 years to 2.

I think the normal percentage is in the 20% range, but I could be wrong.

We've used FCCs for every cruise since our first, since its such a great deal, but on the last cruise we noticed the time period to use the credit has dropped from 4 years to 2.

I also haven't had to pay a normal deposit in many years. The last time I did the deposit was 30%.

I was on the Crown in March. When I purchased my FCCs I was told they expire in 2 years, but can be extended. Just call when they are about to expire if you haven't used them. They are also refundable.

I paid 19% of total price as deposit for my January cruise on Caribbean Princess.

Don't know if that's standard, though. I usually use the aforementioned FCCs.

Future Cruise Credits are used as a deposit on any cruise booked within the next two years. If unused, it's refundable for the total amount, $100.

FCCs can only be purchased on board. Application forms are available at the Cruise Sales representative's office, usually on Plaza Deck. Return the completed form to that office. You'll receive a confirmation letter, usually the next day.

The credit while on a cruise booked with a future cruise deposit depends on length. The following is per person:

Future Cruise Length Per Person Shipboard Credit

17 + Days $125 inside, $125 outside, $150 balcony, $150 suite

11-16 Days $75, inside, $75 outside, $100 balcony, $100 suite

7-10 Days $25 inside, $25 outside, $50 balcony, $50 suite

3-6 Days $15 inside, $15 outside, $25 balcony, $25 suite

There are rules about deposits, and some portion of them (and the price of the cruise) become nonrefundable the closer one gets to the sailing date. The entire price is held if you try to cancel within two weeks, e.g. (that's what travel insurance is for).

Archived