Carnival Skyride to Paradise Point Excursion Cancelled

Received an email from Carnival saying due to construction our passes would be cancelled and refunded for our 5/12 Valor cruise. My wife and I are planning on just doing a shopping/walk around/pool day for St. Thomas so were curious if there's any way you can get to the lookout area without doing the skyride. I tend to remember reading you can take a cab up there also. Thanks for any insight more experienced cruisers can give, we've never been to any of these islands before!

We're sailing on Valor this weekend, May 5, and will be in St. Thomas on May 6. We haven't booked the Skyride to Paradise Point through Carnival but were planning on doing that once on the ship because we are planning (or were planning) to do that this time, so we haven't heard anything about this. I'm wondering if it's going to be closed when we are there too. Does anyone know?

We're sailing on Valor this weekend, May 5, and will be in St. Thomas on May 6. We haven't booked the Skyride to Paradise Point through Carnival but were planning on doing that once on the ship because we are planning (or were planning) to do that this time, so we haven't heard anything about this. I'm wondering if it's going to be closed when we are there too. Does anyone know?

I posted something about this on the Valor roll call for the May 5 sailing but the only info I have is that Carnival sent us an email cancelling our 'excursion' on St. Thomas due to construction. The only thing we booked through Carnival in St. Thomas was passes to the Skyride. I searched on the internet to see if there were news articles about construction on the Skyride but I couldn't find anything. So I'm now wondering if there's really construction or if Carnival discovered that they were charging less than the ride operator. I guess we'll find out when we get there Monday.

Hi there rsc81gal, just saw your post on our roll call - thanks for letting us know. Today was the first I've seen anything about this, and like you I searched the internet and found nothing. But yeah, guess we'll find out Monday.

In the meantime does anyone else who has just been to St. Thomas know anything about this Skyride construction, what it's for, how long and if there is another way to get up to Paradise Point?

I was there in March + the whole area from the dock to the sidewalk is under construction.

Thank you for your reply. I noticed there is a road that goes to the top, do you happen to know if the lookouts/restaurant/bar up there was still open? Keeping my fingers crossed that it is. :)

Yes you can taxi/drive up to Paradise Point, the road up is a little further east from the actual Skyride.

When we were staying on the island in January there was road construction just outside the Havensight dock that had nothing to do with the Skyride at that time. They wanted to widen the road there so the Skyride may be down if they're at that point.

Paradise Point has new owners and is being remodeled as well, but they should be open. Their hours of operation are in the local papers or ask the taxi coordinator at the dock if they're open before heading up. Don't know taxi price but figure $5pp each way. And don't try to walk - it's very steep in spots and there are curves where a car coming down may not see you.

Yes you can taxi/drive up to Paradise Point, the road up is a little further east from the actual Skyride.

When we were staying on the island in January there was road construction just outside the Havensight dock that had nothing to do with the Skyride at that time. They wanted to widen the road there so the Skyride may be down if they're at that point.

Paradise Point has new owners and is being remodeled as well, but they should be open. Their hours of operation are in the local papers or ask the taxi coordinator at the dock if they're open before heading up. Don't know taxi price but figure $5pp each way. And don't try to walk - it's very steep in spots and there are curves where a car coming down may not see you.

Thank you for your response. We will definitely see if they are open and if so, so happy to know we can get there by cab. You just made my night. :)

I would point out that for very little more than what the tram costs you can get an open air taxi tour of the island which lasts about 2.5 to three hours that will bring you to Mountain Top. For almost the same price you get to see much more of the island and get some amazing views of not only the harbor at Phillipsburg but also of the British Virgin Islands and Megan's Bay. There is no need to pre-arrange anything. When you get off of the ship just go to the taxi departure area and the coordinator will get you on the right taxi.

I would point out that for very little more than what the tram costs you can get an open air taxi tour of the island which lasts about 2.5 to three hours that will bring you to Mountain Top. For almost the same price you get to see much more of the island and get some amazing views of not only the harbor at Phillipsburg but also of the British Virgin Islands and Megan's Bay. There is no need to pre-arrange anything. When you get off of the ship just go to the taxi departure area and the coordinator will get you on the right taxi.

Actually Paradise Point is a unique experience, whereas although Mountaintop offers a nice view of Magens it lacks the character of the original that burned down. I would agree that an island tour is an excellent way to see the island, but I would recommend a stop at Drake's Seat for the view. And of course the OP is interested in seeing PP which is also a great spot to end your day after a tour or other excursion.

And you must have meant to refer to Charlotte Amalie, Philipsburg (1 "l") is in St Maarten of course...

Actually Paradise Point is a unique experience, whereas although Mountaintop offers a nice view of Magens it lacks the character of the original that burned down. I would agree that an island tour is an excellent way to see the island, but I would recommend a stop at Drake's Seat for the view. And of course the OP is interested in seeing PP which is also a great spot to end your day after a tour or other excursion.

And you must have meant to refer to Charlotte Amalie, Philipsburg (1 "l") is in St Maarten of course...

Thanks for picking that up. Stupid lack of concentration on my part. I agree that the new structure at Mountain Top has less character than the old building but I still think it is quite worth the trip. I certainly am not knocking Paradise Point in any way. It is a beautiful place that takes very little effort to get to. I do, however, think that the tram is way over priced.

Didn't mean to imply that, I assumed you were looking at different forums and that is easy to do, I know from experience.:p

Yes Mountaintop is still a place to hit and it's on most tours as a shopping/view stop. Just not the destination that it is made out to be in the cruise ship port talks in my opinion.

We drive up to PP but we enjoyed the tram the first time, just something different and the views from the car are a bonus.

Thanks!

Archived