Boston to NYC - Train or Rental?

Stace894

I will be traveling with Husband and Son to NYC next April for 8 day cruise. I was planning to take Amtrak to and from, seemed easiest and cheapest way there, but discover that I can't take any more than small suitcases on Train per their baggage requirements. I will admit to being an overpacker but even if I trim down.. don't think I want to have each of us lugging two small suitcase with carryon around. I was thinking about just doing a 24 hr car rental each way,, which wouldnt cost too much but would allow us full sized luggage. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, anyone know of any car rental agencies near Times Square and/or Port. Thanks!

Have you looked at using a Bus?

From Mega Bus, Bolt Bus to the luxury Limo Liner (fare is equal or less than Amtrak). Again one bag checked and one carry on.

Amtrak also has checked baggage service on some trains, have you looked at that?

Rethink what you are packing, most people over pack for a cruise.

Each passenger is allowed two suitcases 28x22x14 to carry on the trains. The coach cars have baggage sections at the end of each car as well as overhead storage. Are your bags larger than that?

Thank you for the information on the luggage size. It has been awhile since we went to NYC on the train. If I remember correctly is it the left side that gets the sun all AM? The left being when you sit facing forward your on the left side of the train. If anybody know that would be great though I believe it will be raining when we go next Sat. May 11th.

Thanks in advance, have a great day.

Thank you for the information on the luggage size. It has been awhile since we went to NYC on the train. If I remember correctly is it the left side that gets the sun all AM? The left being when you sit facing forward your on the left side of the train. If anybody know that would be great though I believe it will be raining when we go next Sat. May 11th.

Thanks in advance, have a great day.

You'll be traveling south, so in the morning the sun will indeed be on your left.

You'll be traveling south, so in the morning the sun will indeed be on your left.

Thought so thanks for confirming it. Suppose to be raining but you never know :). We go Sat. the 4th. fingers crossed only getting in with 3 hours to spare.

Archived