Ft. Lauderdale Warning

Lobez

I wanted to share a bad experience in the hopes that I can prevent this from happening to someone else. My wife and I rented a van and stayed 1 night pre-cruise in Dania Beach. After checking out of our hotel, we headed for the rental return. On the way we stopped at the Walgreens on Rt 1 to pick up sun screen. This is where the problem happened. While in the store, thieves popped the door handle with a screw driver and stole 3 of our carry on bags. We lost important paperwork, clothes, medications and other items. This all happened at 10:00 in the morning and the store and parking lot were busy. The store let me watch the surveillance video, and the theft took no more than 20 seconds. It seemed that the thieves were waiting in the car parked next to me, and have done this many times before.

I know that this type of thing can happen anywhere, and I don't need a lecture, but I did learn a few lessons I wanted to pass along. While the rental cars don't necessarily advertise they are rentals, they do have "no smoking" stickers on the windows and bar codes on the front left windshield. Thieves know this, and rentals stick out. When traveling, always make copies of the face page of your passport and Birth Certificate and keep them with you. Have phone numbers for your cruise line, travel insurance and other important contacts saved in your phone. This saves time and energy. Never, Never, Never leave anything in your car without someone there with it. Once you load the car, go straight to the rental return or cruise terminal.

The positive that I can say is that the Police who responded were great. They couldn't have done anything more than they did to help me. They were understanding of my situation and went out of their way to be nice. Also, the Hotel I stayed at (Hilton Garden Inn) helped me by allowing me to use their fax machines and computers and offered me any assistance they could. The staff there are great and the hotel itself is a nice comfortable place to stay.

In the end, things worked out and we had a good trip. I just wanted to pass along what happened and the lessons learned in the hopes I can help prevent it from happening to someone else.

I am so sorry that this happened. Glad to hear you made the best of it and still were able to enjoy your cruise. Thank you for the reminder that we all need to be on alert when traveling and always make sure we can retrieve important documents.

I am so sorry this happened to you guys! It's always a good reminder to always beware of our surroundings. I'm always leary of people just sitting in their vehicle for more than just a few minutes, but we just never know.

On the positive side, at least they waited until you left the vehicle and you guys were not hurt. Paper documents, clothes, medications, etc., can always be replaced.:)

I'm assuming that this happened at the Walgreens in Dania, not in Fort Lauderdale. Why is this important? Because although crime happens everywhere, some neighborhoods are worse than others.

Some additional advice for travelers...never leave anything on the seats or floor of your car. Always make sure that it is hidden in the trunk. Even if you have a jacket in the car, thieves will assume that there could be something good under it. Once they are tempted to break into your car, they will pop the trunk and take everything. So do not temp.

I wanted to share a bad experience in the hopes that I can prevent this from happening to someone else. My wife and I rented a van and stayed 1 night pre-cruise in Dania Beach. After checking out of our hotel, we headed for the rental return. On the way we stopped at the Walgreens on Rt 1 to pick up sun screen. This is where the problem happened. While in the store, thieves popped the door handle with a screw driver and stole 3 of our carry on bags. We lost important paperwork, clothes, medications and other items. This all happened at 10:00 in the morning and the store and parking lot were busy. The store let me watch the surveillance video, and the theft took no more than 20 seconds. It seemed that the thieves were waiting in the car parked next to me, and have done this many times before.

I know that this type of thing can happen anywhere, and I don't need a lecture, but I did learn a few lessons I wanted to pass along. While the rental cars don't necessarily advertise they are rentals, they do have "no smoking" stickers on the windows and bar codes on the front left windshield. Thieves know this, and rentals stick out. When traveling, always make copies of the face page of your passport and Birth Certificate and keep them with you. Have phone numbers for your cruise line, travel insurance and other important contacts saved in your phone. This saves time and energy. Never, Never, Never leave anything in your car without someone there with it. Once you load the car, go straight to the rental return or cruise terminal.

The positive that I can say is that the Police who responded were great. They couldn't have done anything more than they did to help me. They were understanding of my situation and went out of their way to be nice. Also, the Hotel I stayed at (Hilton Garden Inn) helped me by allowing me to use their fax machines and computers and offered me any assistance they could. The staff there are great and the hotel itself is a nice comfortable place to stay.

In the end, things worked out and we had a good trip. I just wanted to pass along what happened and the lessons learned in the hopes I can help prevent it from happening to someone else.

So sorry this happened to you. Thank goodness you guys are safe and wound up having a good time. Thanks for the warning.

Some additional advice for travelers...never leave anything on the seats or floor of your car. Always make sure that it is hidden in the trunk. Even if you have a jacket in the car, thieves will assume that there could be something good under it. Once they are tempted to break into your car, they will pop the trunk and take everything. So do not temp.

This is good advice. I am wondering if the OP's bags were visible through the windows? I have stopped at this Walgreens in Dania Beach often with never a problem, though I never leave anything on the seats or floor of the car (not saying that the OP did). And, clearly many Snowbirds shop at this location(judging from all the Quebec license plates I've seen in the parking lot). It is sad that the OP had a problem at this location.

I'm assuming that this happened at the Walgreens in Dania, not in Fort Lauderdale. Why is this important? Because although crime happens everywhere, some neighborhoods are worse than others.

I'm not sure that there is a difference between the Walgreens at Route 1 and Stirling Road in Dania and the Walgreens, say, at Route 1 and Davie Blvd in Fort Lauderdale or the Walgreens at SE 17th Street and Eisenhower Blvd in Fort Lauderdale at 10:00 in the morning. I would feel the same level of comfort at any of these locations at 10:00 in the morning. However, at all of these locations, I would not feel safe leaving suitcases (or any bags whatsoever) visible through vehicle windows. It would just invite trouble in my opinion, as all the areas I named are tourist areas.

Sorry this happened and yes thank you for sharing. My husband and I will be going on the Carnival Victory in October and looking at staying in Fort Lauderdale or Hollywood (motels are much cheaper there than Miami) instead of trying to drive down from Jacksonville that day.

Just to clarify, it was the Walgreens in Dania Beach, Rt 1 and Stirling road. The staff at the store were very nice, and this is not an indictment of the store or the area. Things like this happen all over, and those that commit these crimes often frequent areas where they know tourist will go. In fact, I met several area residents while waiting to report the incident who couldn't have been nicer.

As far as visible property in a vehicle, I couldn't agree more. We had a mini-van, and all of our bags were in the back, where the windows are dark. The thieves popped the drivers side door lock, opened the drivers side sliding door, folded up the rear passengers seat and removed the bags from the the very back of the van. I know this because is I saw the surveillance tape.

The issue out of our control is that the rental cars stick out. Who has "no smoking" stickers and bar codes on their own vehicles? Thieves know this and target those cars. I don't know how to prevent this, other than not renting a car. Get the insurance for any damage from the rental company (which I had) and never leave anything in the car.

Just to clarify, it was the Walgreens in Dania Beach, Rt 1 and Stirling road. The staff at the store were very nice, and this is not an indictment of the store or the area. Things like this happen all over, and those that commit these crimes often frequent areas where they know tourist will go. In fact, I met several area residents while waiting to report the incident who couldn't have been nicer.

As far as visible property in a vehicle, I couldn't agree more. We had a mini-van, and all of our bags were in the back, where the windows are dark. The thieves popped the drivers side door lock, opened the drivers side sliding door, folded up the rear passengers seat and removed the bags from the the very back of the van. I know this because is I saw the surveillance tape.

The issue out of our control is that the rental cars stick out. Who has "no smoking" stickers and bar codes on their own vehicles? Thieves know this and target those cars. I don't know how to prevent this, other than not renting a car. Get the insurance for any damage from the rental company (which I had) and never leave anything in the car.

Didn't anyone in the parking lot notice this? Walgreens' are so busy!

Didn't anyone in the parking lot notice this? Walgreens' are so busy!

He said the store video revealed that the entire incident took less than 20 seconds. Also, they were parked right next to the crooks that broke into the car. It may have been difficult for any onlookers to notice with the combination of the close proximity and the quickness of the act.

OP, so sorry this happened to you. :( What goes around - comes around....

Thanks for the additional details. Thieves targeting tourists (who likely are carrying valuables with them) is an old strategy that is unlikely to disappear anytime soon. Sorry this happened to you.

Archived