Price Reduction Policy

Hi All,

I'm thinking about booking a Med cruise for the summer of 2014, but am concerned that the price will go down or that promotions will come up that I will miss out on. What is Celebrity's policy on price drops if I decide to book now? I am in Canada, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Celebrity honors price drops before the final payment however, if you have a promotion booked, I think you will lose it. I'm sure others will chime in.

We booked Alaska last year and the price finally dropped a month before final payment along with the 123Go Promotion. Celebrity was generous in giving us the price drop AND the promo.

I think the bottom line is to book when you are happy with the price and/or promotion. We were happy with our price and consider ourselves super lucky to have it drop and get an added promotion. Now - if the price had gone up higher, than we would have had to of gone with the higher price to get the promotion. I don't bank on getting extra promotions or price drops - I just book when I'm ready and I feel that the price is fair.

They will honor price drops until final payment, but if your price is part of some kind of sale or you get a special promotion with the original booking, you could lose your promotion. Also, if the new price is for new bookings only, you do not qualify for the new prices.

Just a note from my experience on this, being my final payment just came this week. They did not automatically apply any price drops. I had to contact them. I will say they were very good at explaining what I would / would not get as far a price and promos.

I had booked directly with Celebrity (online) and not with a TA. If you book with a TA you will have to get them to contact Celebrity to get any price drops applied.

Just a note from my experience on this, being my final payment just came this week. They did not automatically apply any price drops. I had to contact them. I will say they were very good at explaining what I would / would not get as far a price and promos.

I had booked directly with Celebrity (online) and not with a TA. If you book with a TA you will have to get them to contact Celebrity to get any price drops applied.

Correct.

It is up to you to keep an eye on the pricing and contact Celebrity (or your TA) if you see a better deal. Depending on what the better deal is you may simply be able to get a price reduction in your current booking, or you may need to cancel your current booking and rebook using the new rate (for those that are new bookings only). The biggest risk you run into is losing a cabin that you might really like.

When I book a cruise I make it a habit to check the pricing every week or so just in case.

Lately it seems the promotions that go along with the pricing will play a big part. I booked an Australia/New Zealand cruise for March 2014 that includes the 123Go alcohol package. Now that the 123Go program is over I suspect I'd lose the alcohol package to take advantage of a price drop.

In the USA and Canada all deposits are refundable up until 75 days before the cruise (60 days for 5 night or shorter sailings and 90 days for holiday cruises).

Because of this Celebrity allows USA and Canada residents to modify to change their booking to current terms, including price drops, in most cases before these dates rather than requiring one to cancel and rebook. But the change will be just like one cancelled and rebooked so any related changes in promotions or discounts will usually be adjusted to the revised terms.

After the dates mentioned above, Celebrity will usually not allow any price adjustments. In most cases they will allow you to upgrade to a different cabin if you'd like by applying all actual payments to date against the new booking terms (again any promotions or OBC are reset to current terms) but no refunds or net reductions are allowed.

Some TA's have their own fees and terms for changes so your experience might differ depending on your TA if you are booked with one. So ask about this with a TA before your first booking with them. I've also read some reports here on Cruise Critic from posters with TA's who have not cooperated in obtaining price reductions for them despite the prices being lowered on Celebrity's web site.

Experiences on price changes or promotions for "new bookings" have varied. There have been some where people had no problem getting changes and some where Celebrity made notations to prevent one from rebooking at the lower rate after cancelling a prior booking. So your experience on "new booking only" specials can vary.

In other areas of the world the terms might be very different due to local rules and regulations and/or differences in Celebrity's policy in other countries.

Hi All,

I'm thinking about booking a Med cruise for the summer of 2014, but am concerned that the price will go down or that promotions will come up that I will miss out on. What is Celebrity's policy on price drops if I decide to book now? I am in Canada, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Unless you have ONE particular date/itinerary in mind that you absolutely must have, I would suggest waiting three to six months before you book. Do some more research on these boards concerning pricing, cabins, ports, tours, and check out the roll call thread for your targeted cruise. :)

I would never even consider booking any cruise this far in advance. (but that's just me) The number of things that can change in that period of time approaches infinity. :cool:

On the other hand, if you are the type who enjoys the anticipation, or needs to plan far in advance, then take the plunge and enjoy. Just know that a LOT of things will change between now and then. ;)

I hope you have as much fun, and learn as much as I have, here on CC! :D

What happens if you cancel your original booking and book a new one. Does that count towards "Only new bookings"?

Have asked this question three times for different offers. Asked Celebrity twice and TA once - answer from all was this is not allowed.

Many different rules in Europe I believe

In the USA and Canada all deposits are refundable up until 75 days before the cruise (60 days for 5 night or shorter sailings and 90 days for holiday cruises).

Because of this Celebrity allows USA and Canada residents to modify to change their booking to current terms, including price drops, in most cases before these dates rather than requiring one to cancel and rebook. But the change will be just like one cancelled and rebooked so any related changes in promotions or discounts will usually be adjusted to the revised terms.

After the dates mentioned above, Celebrity will usually not allow any price adjustments. In most cases they will allow you to upgrade to a different cabin if you'd like by applying all actual payments to date against the new booking terms (again any promotions or OBC are reset to current terms) but no refunds or net reductions are allowed.

Some TA's have their own fees and terms for changes so your experience might differ depending on your TA if you are booked with one. So ask about this with a TA before your first booking with them. I've also read some reports here on Cruise Critic from posters with TA's who have not cooperated in obtaining price reductions for them despite the prices being lowered on Celebrity's web site.

Experiences on price changes or promotions for "new bookings" have varied. There have been some where people had no problem getting changes and some where Celebrity made notations to prevent one from rebooking at the lower rate after cancelling a prior booking. So your experience on "new booking only" specials can vary.

In other areas of the world the terms might be very different due to local rules and regulations and/or differences in Celebrity's policy in other countries.

Lucky you. In Australia it is 151 days out. That's right a ridiculous 151 DAYS - same cruise but as I had it explained to me by Celebrity's Operations Manager in Australia, our conditions are based around Australian passenger needs!!!! Our final payment date is the same but penalties kick in at 151 days. What the .....

Beryl

Thanks for your very thorough explanation. After the final payment due date, would Celebrity and RCL offer OBC in lieu of price drop?

Dan

What happens if you cancel your original booking and book a new one. Does that count towards "Only new bookings"?

I don't see how any CL could prevent pax doing that? Of course, you would lose your original deposit. That's why some call the last 75 days, the penalty period.

Thanks for your very thorough explanation. After the final payment due date, would Celebrity and RCL offer OBC in lieu of price drop?

Dan

No, they haven't done that in years. All you can do after final payment is upgrade.

Celebrity knows who cancels a cruise and rebooks just to get a lower fare and it's been reported that they don't allow it. The other big thing with canceling and rebooking is that you run the very big risk of losing the cabin you originally booked. When someone cancels a cruise, their cabin immediately goes back into inventory where thousands of travel agents and passengers have access to that cabin and they get grabbed up very quickly. You might also not find a cabin that you liked as much as your original cabin. So there are issues if you try and cancel and rebook to get a lower fare.

Archived