Should Carnival rotate ships?

skyeman27

Although CCL does periodically rotate ships, would love to see some changes for Jacksonville. Only Fantasy class and Spirit class can go under the St. Johns River Bridge. The Miracle was the 1st ship to sail there, but since she left, only Fascination. If they just changed out Fantasy class ships, would seem like a different cruise.

I agree that Port Canaveral is a bad port. I've seen Key West reviews that look nice. Why don't they go to Key West instead of Port Canaveral?

Key West limits the number of ships there as well as size of the ships. They get congested very easily and are currently voting on this issue to keep limits reasonable for the size of the port.

Canaveral is indeed a fairly boring port, but it's a providing ship supply port. The docks are spaced out making deliveries easier.

Should Carnival rotate some ships giving some cruisers who sail from only one port the opportunity to sail different ships. Such as, swap the Dream with the Freedom or the Breeze, or Fascination with the Fantasy. Might be too costly to do this though...

I thought Carnival is already doing this. Look at all the repositioning going on now and in the near future. I think there are a lot of factors that go into the decision to move a ship, and not just to give customers a different ship at a particular port. The decision to reposition ships is usually more about profit.

I think your question is an important one that Carnival should consider though. Giving customers what they want goes a long way toward increasing profits if it is something that is doable. It also affects another aspect of Carnival's business model: Is Carnival more interested in catering to new cruisers or are they more interested in catering to their loyal customers? That question gets kicked around a lot on this board. In the past, it certainly has seemed that Carnival caters more to new customers than it does to repeat customers.

I thought Carnival is already doing this. Look at all the repositioning going on now and in the near future. I think there are a lot of factors that go into the decision to move a ship, and not just to give customers a different ship at a particular port. The decision to reposition ships is usually more about profit.

I think your question is an important one that Carnival should consider though. Giving customers what they want goes a long way toward increasing profits if it is something that is doable. It also affects another aspect of Carnival's business model: Is Carnival more interested in catering to new cruisers or are they more interested in catering to their loyal customers? That question gets kicked around a lot on this board. In the past, it certainly has seemed that Carnival caters more to new customers than it does to repeat customers.

Carnival's (current) business model is built around new cruisers. They could care less about the loyal customers. As a stock holder, this makes me happy. As a loyal CCL cruiser, not so much.

However, your statement, "Giving customers what they want..." is not so easily done when you're talking about repositioning ships. It's not like Carnival can just call up the port of Baltimore and say, "Yeah look, the folks in Baltimore are sick of the Pride so we're just gonna bring in another ship or 2 to suit them. Oh, and we'll be there in 7 minutes." What would then happen to the folks on the 2 ships sailing out of whatever port they left from? I cannot fathom the logistics that goes into moving ships around so while they may be able to make smaller changes to dining (etc) to "give customers what they want", moving ships, I'd think, is WAY down the list. And btw, you haven't seen them making the dining changes yet either, circling around to my original statement.

I agree 100% with folks who have pointed out that Carnival DOES move ships around. To me, it seems like a LOT! I also agree with others that have pointed out that if you're sick of a certain ship, switch lines :D There will be dozens of others at your disposal ;)

Carnival's (current) business model is built around new cruisers. They could care less about the loyal customers. As a stock holder, this makes me happy. As a loyal CCL cruiser, not so much.

However, your statement, "Giving customers what they want..." is not so easily done when you're talking about repositioning ships. It's not like Carnival can just call up the port of Baltimore and say, "Yeah look, the folks in Baltimore are sick of the Pride so we're just gonna bring in another ship or 2 to suit them. Oh, and we'll be there in 7 minutes." What would then happen to the folks on the 2 ships sailing out of whatever port they left from? I cannot fathom the logistics that goes into moving ships around so while they may be able to make smaller changes to dining (etc) to "give customers what they want", moving ships, I'd think, is WAY down the list. And btw, you haven't seen them making the dining changes yet either, circling around to my original statement.

I agree 100% with folks who have pointed out that Carnival DOES move ships around. To me, it seems like a LOT! I also agree with others that have pointed out that if you're sick of a certain ship, switch lines :D There will be dozens of others at your disposal ;)

Agree about the different lines. You don't have to abandon a certain line, just switch them up some. We only have 4 RCCL cruises, but these came about on 1. Good deals at the time. 2. Wanting a change from CCL routine. :D

No kidding! No one who lives in Florida or any neighbouring states should be complaining! Most of us have to fly, paying $500 plus per plane ticket, to get to a cruise ship. I would be thrilled to be able to drive even 8 hours to get to a cruise port. ESPECIALLY in Florida where there are so many options.

I am not complaining. We live in Jax..so we have the Fascination. We like it. And Port Canaveral is 31/2 hours. We sailed the Glory three times. Now we will be sailing the Dream for the Fourth Time next March.

Next year..............The Liberty and the Sunshine. Woo Hoo.

I wish they would rotate something else into Jacksonville! We've been cruising since 2009, and it's only been the Fascination. We've been on her 4 times, and I do enjoy the ship, but wouldn't mind a new experience. It's just such a convenient port.

I wish they would rotate something else into Jacksonville! We've been cruising since 2009, and it's only been the Fascination. We've been on her 4 times, and I do enjoy the ship, but wouldn't mind a new experience. It's just such a convenient port.

The post right above your's is also someone from Jacksonville who says she is 3 1/2 hours from Canaveral. I never want to assume anything, so is Canaveral out for you? Just curious.

The post right above your's is also someone from Jacksonville who says she is 3 1/2 hours from Canaveral. I never want to assume anything, so is Canaveral out for you? Just curious.

We're 5 hours from Jacksonville, so it's still a haul to get to Canaveral. We're closer to Charleston, but the dates out of Jacksonville have always worked out best. In April, however, we're venturing to Tampa. It is going to be a LONG drive!!!

We're 5 hours from Jacksonville, so it's still a haul to get to Canaveral. We're closer to Charleston, but the dates out of Jacksonville have always worked out best. In April, however, we're venturing to Tampa. It is going to be a LONG drive!!!

Gotcha. The other person must live on the south side of Jacksonville and/or drives way faster :D And yes, that will be a drive to Tampa!

I prefer to cruise out of NYC or Baltimore so I don't have to fly, but I am not gonna do it again if the itin is Grand Turk, HMC, Nassau or Port Canaveral, Nassau, Freeport. I love all those ports (except Port Canaveral which is a joke as a port), but it is getting tired. I'm cruising the Breeze in Oct and where is she going? Grand Turk, Ocho Rios, and Nassau. Grand Turk from 7 - 2!!! What's the point of that? I only picked that cruise cause that's the week I am on vacation and I want to check out the ship.

Living in Florida we do have an advantage of choices of ships year round. Fewer in the summer but 13 ships (in the summer) to choose from is not a bad thing. I too have limited times I can take vacation and it revolves around my DW's school schedule (teacher). Even those ship's itineraries are getting old. In the defense of the cruise lines you do have only a set amount of islands to go to or that the ships themselves can access. Grand Turk, yea agree, ugh! I would like to defend Port Canaveral if I may. The port itself is just that, a port for ships. Not a tourist based economy driven port. Now if you consider the area within a 1 hrs. shuttle ride, well you have some pretty amazing things IMHO. And an hour ride is not that bad, I've been on longer rides in Jamaca, Puerto Rico and any Mexican port to the ruins. Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Resort, Sea World and about 5 world class golf courses. Also some very nice outlet malls for shopping. You even have International Drive for Senior Frogs and as many T-shirts as you can buy. You still have the better duty free and jewelery shopping in the Caribbean ports but don't sell Port Canaveral short. It's not a joke... Did I just sound like a Chamber of Commerce add :eek:, sorry. ;)

PS...Rumor has it Port Canaveral is going to be the home port for Carnival Vista.

I bet most would like this?

Makes no difference to us, we have about 4-5 ports we can leave from ( have friends in those towns to visit and stay with). Plus we factor in dates we can cruise and what ports are possible to visit. All in all what ship, how big a ship,, how old a ship means nothing to our family. Cannot think why we would ever cruise based on the ship, only 3 cruises and all the ships to me seemed pretty close to one another. Then again, sitting around with a good book is about 80% what I do on a cruise.

No the Port of Baltimore is being left behind and for good reason financially it wouldnt make sense. The Chesapeake Bay is a protected wildlife area and the Pride and any other CCL ship doesnt have the proper filters for this area now.

I would like to defend Port Canaveral if I may. The port itself is just that, a port for ships. Not a tourist based economy driven port. Now if you consider the area within a 1 hrs. shuttle ride, well you have some pretty amazing things IMHO. And an hour ride is not that bad, I've been on longer rides in Jamaca, Puerto Rico and any Mexican port to the ruins. Cocoa Beach, Kennedy Space Center, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Resort, Sea World and about 5 world class golf courses. Also some very nice outlet malls for shopping. You even have International Drive for Senior Frogs and as many T-shirts as you can buy. You still have the better duty free and jewelery shopping in the Caribbean ports but don't sell Port Canaveral short. It's not a joke... Did I just sound like a Chamber of Commerce add :eek:, sorry. ;)

PS...Rumor has it Port Canaveral is going to be the home port for Carnival Vista.

I have no problem with Port Canaveral as a port for ships. In fact, I'm sailing out of there on my next cruise. I don't like it as a port in a cruise. I know Disney, Universal, etc are only an hour away, but I'm on a cruise. I don't want to go there for a few hours. Last time we stopped there we went to Kennedy Space Center. It was cool. I love the Orlando area and vacation there often, but in my opinion it's a waste of a cruise day. Would much rather spend the extra day at sea or stay on one of the other islands longer.

I thought I read somewhere that Pride was leaving Baltimore. Is that true? If so, it is being replaced?

Sent from my iPad

Yes the Pride is leaving Baltimore to replace the Legend in Tampa. There is no immediate plan to replace the Pride in Baltimore. Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas will be the only option in Baltimore for a little while.

Edited by Eng23