Still snowing in Norway?

When we get our UK daily weather forecast on BBC1 television, the picture also shows the south-west of Norway and we've noticed that the prevailing westerly winds blowing rain (sometimes turning to snow) across Scotland then appears to be travelling across the North Sea to Norway where it looks as if its falling as snow. Certainly the Norwegian port temperatures are showing as averaging around 6C so is it still snowing we wonder.

Can any of our Norwegian friends tell us how the weather is shaping up there for our cruise in less than 3 weeks time please? Should we pack all our winter thermals in readiness or just stick to the layers? We'll be cruising right up to the North Cape.

The weather so far in May has been HORRIBLE!!....Its been frost, snowing, raining and sleet. Its been stormy and right now its pouring down heavily and its very windy. The temps in the morning has been around 3-4 C... Only 12 hours ago I woke to perfect blue skies and sunny weather.

The forcast calls for better weather (Well, cant get much worse than this being May :D)

In 3 weeks time I am sure the weather will be fine. Probably still cold in the evening and night. My suggestion is to dress in layers. Bring some lightweight windbreakers.

I am sure you will be fine.

I've never seen an accurate weather forecast three weeks in advance in Norway! People are surprised when they get it right three DAYS in advance.

However, in the past 6 years, the latest I've seen it snow in this part of the country was flurries on May 17, so I doubt you'll have snow falling unless you're headed up north.

We did have a few days in Oslo last week that were sunny and aound 8-10 C so everyone was headed out to the parks in short sleeves for picnics and sunbathing, so there is definitely hope that spring is coming!

We will traveling all the way up to Spitzenberg (Svalbard) on June 7th. I assume that we will need a lot more than a light jacket. I've got long silk underware, a turtleneck, fleece and a waterproof shell planned for my layers. I'm assuming I'm not over packing, right?

Lets hope or a change in weather in June.

We will traveling all the way up to Spitzenberg (Svalbard) on June 7th. I assume that we will need a lot more than a light jacket. I've got long silk underware, a turtleneck, fleece and a waterproof shell planned for my layers. I'm assuming I'm not over packing, right?

Sounds about right, depending on your comfort level. When I was in Svalbard in early June, the temperature was around 0°C, and the tender ride in was quite windy. I assume you have gloves and a hat to go with that.

Sounds good and like kaisatsu posted also gloves and a hat...

Thanks for all your replies folks. Reading them sounds much the same as watching our own weather forecasts here in UK!

"We did have a few days in Oslo last week that were sunny and around 8-10 C so everyone was headed out to the parks in short sleeves for picnics and sunbathing"

Short sleeves, picnics and sunbathing in 10C?!?! They must be mighty tough in Oslo, Kaisatsu!! Its only getting warm for me when its 27C and we don't often get that here in UK.

We are going right up to the North Cape so we shall pack lots of layers and include those gloves and hats too :D My theory is that if there's lots of snow it will be very pretty and the waterfalls will be stunning. Having done the Highlands of Scotland the first week of February when we experienced similar conditions, a little blue sky will complete a beautiful picture.

Thanks again! We are really looking forward to seeing your beautiful country, not long now :)

Sounds about right, depending on your comfort level. When I was in Svalbard in early June, the temperature was around 0°C, and the tender ride in was quite windy. I assume you have gloves and a hat to go with that.

Definitely have the gloves and hat...and scarf as well! Thanks!

When we get our UK daily weather forecast on BBC1 television, the picture also shows the south-west of Norway and we've noticed that the prevailing westerly winds blowing rain (sometimes turning to snow) across Scotland then appears to be travelling across the North Sea to Norway where it looks as if its falling as snow. Certainly the Norwegian port temperatures are showing as averaging around 6C so is it still snowing we wonder.
Bergen happens to come up at the top of the page as one of my past searches on weather.com, and over the past few days has had a flag for weather warnings. I clicked through one day to find that it was a warning of snow and ice. So I think the answer is yes!

We are heading out to Fjords next week on Marco Polo from Tilbury. I expect you would also advise us to pack layers. I was planning on bringing a 'down' filled waterproof jacket, plus a fleece for warmer days. Will the 'down' jacket be necessary do you think. Shall I pack it just in case?

I have been corresponding this week with my private tour guide in the Shetland Islands... She said they have had sleet , rain and snow this week with heavy gusts of wind ( this is not Norway , but they are close to Bergen! )

Hope it improves soon for you .. And sure hope it improves by July! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the Fjords end of April, beginning of May and it was very cold! HOWEVER we had a brillaint time and the scenery was stunning. The snow topped mountains looked gorgeous as we did have quite a few blue skies. We didn't have snow at sea level but every time we went up into the mountains there was fresh snow! most of the waterfalls were frozen!

I want to go back in the summer now :D I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

It was 23 decrees C in Eidfjord last Sunday!!! It certainly isn't cold at the moment we got back this morning only bad weather we encountered was on the Flam railway at the top of the mountain it was snowing. (Wednesday 21st).

Archived