~~~ To All the Chair HOGS !!!

George8211

Will someone please tell me whats going on with all the people hogging the deck chairs all day long.

The ship rules state... that a chair is yours while your using it. This is incrediably RUDE and DISRESPECFUL to other passengers that have also spent thousands of $$$$ to enjoy their trip. When you leave your chair... take your towel and books with you.

I've seen many people get up at 6 or 7am, go to the deck and start placing towels and books on chairs... then go to breakfast. This was a royal pain!!!! We wanted to sit by the pool where our friends where swimming, many many chairs with no people for hours... so we sat 20 yards away staring at empty chairs. Very frustrating.

At one pointe I noticed some other people that must have been frustrated by this also. They had 6 people in their group, and found 4 chair side by side... 2 chairs short. They watched these chairs being unused for about 1 hour... then finally took matters into their own hands. They took the belonging off the chairs and piled them up on the deck. About an hour later the people showed up... upset that their stuff was moved, insisting they get the chairs back. I don't think so.

People.... You are paying for a cabin, and it is yours ! The deck chairs do not have your name on it... be polite and let others enjoy the amendities of the ship.

Humm maybe I should leave a raft in the pool or in the hot tub to reserve my spot. :rolleyes:

This is a universal problem on cruise ships. Unfortunately, until the cruise lines start enforcing their rule of not saving chairs . . . the problem will go on. I hate to say it but . . . this along with non formal attire on formal nights are two very hot topics on these boards. Get ready for a lot of replies . . . .

The problem is that this is one of those self propelling problems, same as the 'no chairs in the buffet' problem.

Some one shows up on the deck one day and can't find a chair due to all the chair hogs saving chairs. The next day they decide that if they want to be sure of having a chair when they need one they better get out there at 6 AM and put their stuff on a chair to save it so... the next day their two chairs sit unoccupied for half the day and some one else can't find a chair when they need it so they decide to get up at 6AM the next morning and put their stuff on a chair so they will have it when they need it . Then some one comes along and can't find a chair so...

It's time to end the madness. If you see a chair unoccuppied for 30 minutes, perform a community service and remove the stuff. Don't sit in it, just leave it open so some innocent unsuspecting person can claim it. Then, if the original hog comes along, the new occupant can claim with all honesty and sincerity that they never moved anything, they just sat on this unoccupied chair.

If you are in a neighbouring chair you can just sit back and watch the fun!:D

I love this idea!!!!

The problem is that this is one of those self propelling problems, same as the 'no chairs in the buffet' problem.

Some one shows up on the deck one day and can't find a chair due to all the chair hogs saving chairs. The next day they decide that if they want to be sure of having a chair when they need one they better get out there at 6 AM and put their stuff on a chair to save it so... the next day their two chairs sit unoccupied for half the day and some one else can't find a chair when they need it so they decide to get up at 6AM the next morning and put their stuff on a chair so they will have it when they need it . Then some one comes along and can't find a chair so...

It's time to end the madness. If you see a chair unoccuppied for 30 minutes, perform a community service and remove the stuff. Don't sit in it, just leave it open so some innocent unsuspecting person can claim it. Then, if the original hog comes along, the new occupant can claim with all honesty and sincerity that they never moved anything, they just sat on this unoccupied chair.

If you are in a neighbouring chair you can just sit back and watch the fun!:D

Thank God I cruise off season. I've not had a chair problem. I can guarantee you that if I encounter this problem I will be the first to bring my own lounge chair WITH ME and it will leave the deck when I do.

I hate inconsiderate people.

I have posted this on another thread.

However if you want some fun with the chair hogs simply take the right shoe that they leave on the chair and swap it with the right shoe off of another chair hog's chair which is far away from the original chair.

Than sit back and watch the fun when the chair hogs finally return to their chairs and discover that they have two shoes of different sizes and different styles on their chairs.

...until the cruise lines start enforcing their rule of not saving chairs . . . the problem will go on. I hate to say it but . . . this along with non formal attire on formal nights . . . .

It would be nice if grown adults would have enough respect of other travellers to not need the ship to enforce the rules. It amazes me that these adults act like 6 year old kids... not willing to share their toys with a sibbling. And here's the catch... these aren't even their toys!!

I'm liking the 30 minute rule, I think 20 would be apropriate... time to get something to drink and find a restroom. I'm for picking up all their stuff and dropping it in the lost and found box. "Hey, purser... these things were left sitting on a chair for nearly an hour, I thought I would turn them in". :eek:

Here's the new rule... If you leave your stuff on a chair for too long, don't expect it to be there when you get back. It will be gone. I bet in 15 minutes I could collect books, tanning oil, towels, sandles, sun glasses from at least 30 chairs.

:mad: Chair Hogs :mad:

We sailed on Celebrity in January and were thrilled that they actually enforce the guidelines. If someone left their stuff on a chaise (or two or three...) and disappeared for an extended time, the attendant would remove it and put a fresh towel for the next guest. It was awesome and every line should follow suit. (Although I would enjoy tossing the chair hogs' sh** overboard!)

I would wait what I considered to be a respectful period of time and then place all the items on the deck. Honestly, if it happened to me I'd be embarrassed with my thoughtlessness.:)

Well I can't see why anyone would want to sit by the pool all day in the baking sun. Sometimes I like to sit there for a while and I usually ask the people sitting adjacent to the vacant seats if they belong to anyone. Usually they will say that the people left a couple of hours ago, in which case I sit down. If the person should come back I tell them that they can get (MY) chair in a little while when I decide to get up. I would not argue with anyone about it. If the person became testy I would call over an attendant.

And these people know who they are, I hate them! I have no problem moving someones things from unoccupied chairs and I have done it before and will do it again! Why in anyones mind would you think that this type of behavior is acceptable? It gets real fun when you see the people come back hours later and they are so lost cause they can't find "their" chairs! I have had couples approach us and ask if we moved there stuff and to that I say yes, these chairs were left with things on them for hours and we thought they were left behind or forgotten so we turned them in! Do you know how many ship's towels are lost this way? Hundreds!!! I sail in Sept. and can't wait to see these rude people again, "Bring on the chair hogs!" We love you! NOT>>>>>>>>>>>>:mad:

Really like the 30 minute rule.......... But, must be a full 30 minutes.....

This gives A person time to go to the restroom or cabin for something, Get some food And drink and get back to the chair...... Ample time I think.......

Done..... 30 Minutes is now the rule:D

Why aren't we are hearing from the hogs themselves? They can't even defend their actions; or can they? Come on guilty people...SPEAK UP![/quote

I remember on one of my cruises we had a woman who was very focal on the roll call board. She cruised with a bunch of friends and every morning on the cruise she would take over large sections for her group and they would come and go all day long with a few always guarding the empty seats. This was not only at the pool, she played the same stunts in the theater and at the captain's cocktail party, etc. She never got in my way but I did look her in the eye a few times an she knew what I was thinking. After the cruise I mentioned the incident (without names) on the board but I don't know if she read it or not. All I can tell you other cc'ers gave her the cold shoulder too because of her antics. So I guess it is dont do as I do, do as I say.

We've been on NCL, Princess, RCCL, and X and have to say that Celebrity does the best job of keeping lounges open. Pool Butlers patrol and apparently keep an eye on the empty chairs.

We don't hang out by the pool but, with a 30 minute rule, what if you're in the pool for that long or longer?

Charlie

If there are a lot of chairs being saved by shoes and books being left out just move some of them to another chair with the same and let them fight it out. Seriously though, why can't you ask the attendant to remove the articles (or hand the articles to them) and then direct the angry owners of the shoes/books to discuss the matter with them? My thought is that is their job to take the heat not yours.

Throwing things overboard would be fun but cause a problem for our ocean, I like the idea of tossing in the lost and found better. I stick my scooter by the pool but even this is not a qty that someone will not sit in it. This happened on Navigator in the Adult pool area. I came out of the water and someone was sitting in my scooter. They said no one was using it and it was near the pool. An attendent told them to leave. I had my cane handy but just asked if they had trouble walking too (very sweetly). I never seen them by the pool again.

I have a question. I do NOT want to be rude on my next cruise, so I will abide by what the majority say.

I love to hang out by the pool while my DH likes to come and go. He'll sit with me for a half hour or so, go get a massage (or something), come back and hang out for a while, go off again, etc. Is it ok for me to save his chair?

If you use the upper deck lounge chairs you won't be so pressured and I can't imagine anyone having a problem with hubby coming or going as long as the time intervals are resonable. It's one thing to go grab a drink at the bar or whatever and come back in a half hour or less but quite another to spend 2 hours in the spa being pampered. Then I think people will be aggrevated whether you're there or not because it becomes no different than any other chair saver situation.

I don't think I was a chair hog!!!! Small table up on deck, 2 chairs, my husband was in one I in the other, I got up to go get a glass of tea, only gone 2min, when I returned there was a woman sitting in my chair, at the same table as my husband, I looked at him and he said she just plopped her a$$ in the chair, well she just looked at me with this dirty look like I dare you to say something. Now was I being a CHAIR HOGG expecting that my chair at my table with my husband would be there when I returned??? I did not say anything and he did'nt either, because there were other chairs available, not with tables, but we made due!!!!

I will never sit an item in my chair to hold it but I am also not rude enough to sit at a table with someone that I did not ask first if it was taken!!!! Sometimes I think folks just loose their ability to be curteous!!!!:)

Archived