How's the drinking water on the ship

I'm wondering if the ships water is ok to drink or do I need bottled water? I really don't drink soda so a soda card for me is useless, my son will get one.... What else is available ?I read on this board that iced tea/lemonade is available at no cost, is that true .. going on the explorer of the seas...

I drink the water on the ship, and have never had a problem. There are those who say it is purer than most urban water systems.

On the other hand, my wife, who has a much more sensitive tummy, drinks only bottled water onboard, and was told by two different doctors on two different ships to stay away from the ship's water!

Water on ships is either distilled on board or bought from certified sources. The CDC tests the water on every ship that sails from the US and requires a log kept on tests the crew is supposed to do at least daily. It generally is better quality than most US water. Ice tea is available 24 hours either from the buffet or from room service for free. Bring somnething big to put your drinks into...and enjoy it.

I know that the lemonade is available at the buffet and I am fairly sure you can also get it through room service.

Sodium? there is no sodium in distilled water...

not all the water on the ship is distilled on board. Some of it is bunkered...how do I know this, its in the CDC report for the Explorer and I have seen it done in other cities...but it doesn't contain any sodium(except trace amounts). Many of the bottled water you drink do in fact contain sodium and trace amounts of minerals.

so you can see for your self here is the link.

http://www2a.cdc.gov/nceh/VSPIRS/ReportPreview.asp?chrViolationItemNum=03

pw=potable water

We drank the water - with ice and lemon- it was just fine. There was also iced tea available and coffee and various hot teas to make. That was my only criticism of RCI - the lack of drinks stations and the limited free drinks choice compared to Celebrity.

On the first evening we were offered bottled water at dinner (to buy) but everyone on the table asked for plain water so we were served iced water every evening after that - it just gets topped up all the time.

I was just on the Grandeur and I don't know if they have put a new filtration process into place since my last cruise almost 5 years ago, but I thought the water tasted great! I am very picky and usually only drink bottled water but when I tried it, I was pleasantly suprised! 5 years ago and prior, I thought it tasted icky. This time it tasted better than deer park water, which is OK but to me tastes a little funky. It tasted as good as the better bottled waters.

That is great to know. I too am picky and usually only drink poland spring, dasani or aquafina.... I'll give it a try I guess.

I was just on the Grandeur and I don't know if they have put a new filtration process into place since my last cruise almost 5 years ago, but I thought the water tasted great! I am very picky and usually only drink bottled water but when I tried it, I was pleasantly suprised! 5 years ago and prior, I thought it tasted icky. This time it tasted better than deer park water, which is OK but to me tastes a little funky. It tasted as good as the better bottled waters.

Since I own a water treatment and purification business, I found it interesting when I looked in to the quality of water on most ships. From what they say, the filtration system on board (specifically Voyager class ships), far surpasses the quality of most bottled water, especially the name brands most consumers seem to be comfortable with (Poland Springs, Great Bear, Deer Park, etc.). Bottled water is an unregulated industry and usually you're getting something very close to tap water with the chlorine removed (that is the most objectionable taste issue). I won't compare the ship's water to Aquafina or Dasani because both of those brands are purified by reverse osmosis and will most likely not be matched on any ship. Dasani adds back calcium and magnesium for flavor purposes because people are accustomed to that taste in their water, but Aquafina remains purified with nothing added to it for flavor.

I think some people might be refering to sodium in the water because advanced softening and filtration systems do indeed use sodium (sometimes potassium instead) to recharge the filtration media, but the sodium is wasted out after the recharge and only the clean water becomes your potable water source. Any trace amounts left in the water are so neglible, they don't warrant discussion.:o

I won't compare the ship's water to Aquafina or Dasani because both of those brands are purified by reverse osmosis and will most likely not be matched on any ship. Dasani adds back calcium and magnesium for flavor purposes because people are accustomed to that taste in their water, but Aquafina remains purified with nothing added to it for flavor.

And that is why nobody in my family likes Dasani.

Seriously, I drink tons of water at home and on the ship (I don't drink caffeine or regular sodas which basically leaves me with alcohol and water to drink). I have never noticed a difference in taste with the ships water. I usually bring some bottled water with me and then refill with the ship's water.

I think most agree that ship water is as good as, or better than most USA urban water supplies. So, if you "need" bottled water on land, the same goes for the ship. It seems bottled water has become an expensive fad these days. Far more expensive than gasoline. If carrying water bottle is a status symbol for you or you are convinced it really is better, so be it. However, don't be shocked at the price RCI charges!

I usually like Evian. Try it out...worst that can happen, if you don't like it, you can buy the bottled.

P.S. I did not get brave enough to drink it from the tap in our bathroom.

:D

Does anyone know why the cold water from the bathroom is always warm? I had to put ice in it and let it set before I could brush my teeth. I didn't drink it either.

I only drink water and thought the water on the Radiance was very good. I would get my drink bottle filled with ice and water and took it on the excursions. It stayed colder than the bottled water they sell you to take. I usually get lemon w/my water when I go out, never know how water tastes and the lemon hides the off taste (most of the time). :p

Since I own a water treatment and purification business, I found it interesting when I looked in to the quality of water on most ships. From what they say, the filtration system on board (specifically Voyager class ships), far surpasses the quality of most bottled water, especially the name brands most consumers seem to be comfortable with (Poland Springs, Great Bear, Deer Park, etc.). Bottled water is an unregulated industry and usually you're getting something very close to tap water with the chlorine removed (that is the most objectionable taste issue). I won't compare the ship's water to Aquafina or Dasani because both of those brands are purified by reverse osmosis and will most likely not be matched on any ship. Dasani adds back calcium and magnesium for flavor purposes because people are accustomed to that taste in their water, but Aquafina remains purified with nothing added to it for flavor.

I think some people might be refering to sodium in the water because advanced softening and filtration systems do indeed use sodium (sometimes potassium instead) to recharge the filtration media, but the sodium is wasted out after the recharge and only the clean water becomes your potable water source. Any trace amounts left in the water are so neglible, they don't warrant discussion.:o

Not to change the subject, but, since you own a water purification business you may know how I can get Canadian Spring Water. I used to buy Amberfoyl but it has changed to purified water ( not the same thing ) I am trying to find another source for my CSW. I know this is a stab in the heart but.....help a girl out, huh?:p

I suspect the cold water is not really "cold" since the supply lines are probably not insulated. I would expect it to be room temperature. Nowhere that I know of refrigerates the cold water except at a water fountain with a refrigeration compresser inside. Cold water in your house is "cold" since the pipes are underground.

As to not drinking "bathroom" water what's the difference? It all comes from the same distribution system as where they make the ice cubes, coffee and ice tea.

Most if not all "spring" water is loaded with calcium since they pump it out of the ground. Not the best for kidney stones. The processed water is "soft" , little calcium, unless they add minerals back in.

Archived