Marina Cabin Info Please

Chunky2219

So we're maybe about to go and push the button on a PH cabin on Marina for our first Ociania adventure. I have a few questions to help in choosing a cabin and hope you can help.

1. The PH1s are under the pool deck. Any problems with noise, chairs, music, etc.?
  2. Some of the PH2s are under the Terrace Cafe. Same question as above.
  3. Most of the PH3s are on deck 10, and we've been advised that these suffer from overhang above the balcony. Any comments on how bad?
  4. There are 4 PH3s right at the stern on deck 7 which look to be super out of the way. Any drawbacks?
  5. Finally, our benchmark is Cunard QG. Has anyone done both and if so, how does cabin size and layout compare with a Q4 or Q7 on QE or QV?

Many thanks.

Hi Chunky, we've done both PH on Oceania and Q3 on QE11. Deck 11 on Marina and Riviera has the overhang, not a problem for us, we go forward, 11006/11007 etc. No noise from above. I should think you would be OK as far back in 11014 and 11017 to avoid the "noise from above" issue. Friends stayed in 11069 and did experience some noise. Both ships have the same layout as I'm sure you are aware.

I should say the staterooms are about the same size, but Oceania's furnishings, layout and the bathroom are far superior and, for us, a much better experience.

We prefer deck 11, it has a greater air of exclusivity (Our Opinion Only) as there are fewer staterooms, plus you are nearer to the Executive lounge. We have also stayed in the Owners Suite on deck 10 (Riviera), wonderful experience!!:)

Riviera next week - 11007!

Regards, Glenda

If you are lucky enough to score the two very aft deck seven PH

Go for it. They have a wrap around balcony. I doubt it will be available unless you are planning way in advance. Personally I prefer deck 10. No noise and no overhang.

The PH1s are under the pool deck. Any problems with noise, chairs, music, etc.?

I've not experienced one of these, but they are under the Deck 12 overhang.

Some of the PH2s are under the Terrace Cafe. Same question as above.

We were in 11076, which is directly under the Terrace. We did not have any problem with noise. However, our friends in Oceania Suite 11080, just 1 suite away at the aft corner, did experience some chair noise. However, we did not care for the location under the Deck 12 overhang.

Most of the PH3s are on deck 10, and we've been advised that these suffer from overhang above the balcony. Any comments on how bad?

The PH3s (and PH2s) on Deck 10 are not immediately under the overhang and do not suffer from any possible drawbacks. The overhang is far enough above (Deck 12) that it doesn't cast a shadow into Deck 10 balconies. We have 10020 booked for an upcoming cruise.

There are 4 PH3s right at the stern on deck 7 which look to be super out of the way. Any drawbacks?

The only possible drawback is that the ones in the aft corners, 7130 and 7135, are not quite as large as all the other penthouses. They are about 24" to 30" narrower in width. The result is that the walk-in closet is limited in space and there is less space between the foot of the bed and the dressing table across from the bed. Most people feel that difference is well compensated by the spectacular aft view from the wrap-around deck at the stern. Sailaways, in particular, are fabulous. Starting in December, their popularity has resulted in them being reclassified to PH1.

The other two, 7128 and 7133, are normal size penthouses with an extended deck. They do not have the aft view (there are partitions on both sides of the balcony, but I'm told they are not as windy when underway as the two furthest aft. However, we just stayed in 7133 (on Riviera, but they are identical) on a transAtlantic from Miami to Barcelona. We were able ti enjoy the extra space on beautiful lounges chairs while in port, especially the two days in Bermuda, but it was too chilly and too windy (despite what we were told) o spend any time there while the ship was underway. 15 minutes, wearing a jacket, was the longest I could endure. Like the other two, they will be reclassified in December, to PH2.

The only other drawback is they are 4 decks and a long hike from the Executive Lounge, to which they are entitled. That's not a deal breaker for us, and we made the hike (by elevator, of course :p) whenever we wanted, which wasn't too often.

Finally, our benchmark is Cunard QG. Has anyone done both and if so, how does cabin size and layout compare with a Q4 or Q7 on QE or QV?

Never have, and most likely never will, experience Cunard. Too formal for us.

So we're maybe about to go and push the button on a PH cabin on Marina for our first Ociania adventure. I have a few questions to help in choosing a cabin and hope you can help.

1. The PH1s are under the pool deck. Any problems with noise, chairs, music, etc.?
  2. Some of the PH2s are under the Terrace Cafe. Same question as above.
  3. Most of the PH3s are on deck 10, and we've been advised that these suffer from overhang above the balcony. Any comments on how bad?
  4. There are 4 PH3s right at the stern on deck 7 which look to be super out of the way. Any drawbacks?
  5. Finally, our benchmark is Cunard QG. Has anyone done both and if so, how does cabin size and layout compare with a Q4 or Q7 on QE or QV?

Hello Chunky2219. We were recently in a mid-ships PH1 11052 on Riviera (same as Marina) and did hear noise from deck 12 above. Not bad but annoying early in the morning when the crew were moving furniture. For us the most disappointing part was the overhang from deck 12. I estimate this to be 10/12 feet overhang which spoils the view especially when entering port and while in port and leaving. PH3's do not suffer the same way from the overhang.

We have booked 2 more cruises in mid-ships PH2's on deck 10 (these were PH3's and are reclassified). I do not have experience with Cunard but have been very happy with the size and layout on PH suites on Marina and Riviera (they are slightly bigger than the PH suites on the R ships). In particular the walk in closet is very nice. Our overall experience with Oceania has been excellent...good luck with your decision.

By the way where from 'Up North' are you from?

The overhang is significant, but on some itineraries a shaded veranda can be a huge plus.

005546.jpg

If it had not been for the awning like protection, we could not have used ours at all in Costa Rica or Nicaragua.

hot+sun.jpg

Jim and Stan's point is well taken: also applies to protection from the rain. We were on the "soggy" Tahitian Breeze cruise in January and were able to enjoy the balcony when others were forced into their cabins.

Many thanks to everyone, I'm massively grateful for the replies. This must be the friendliest part of the entire forum and no-one went rambling off on a tangent. I must come more often.

Unfortunately, we've decided not to go for that particular voyage. It clashed with another family holiday and we just couldn't make it work with flights, etc. But having done the research we now quite fancy Oceania so I'll no doubt be back again soon.

T.T.F.N.

p.s. Globevest........ We're in Sheffield

Archived