Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

You havn't had gelato until you go to Venice...then you are spoiled for life;)

OK, I'll go with Northern Italy. :DThe Southern gelato wasn't as good. I've had tons of gelato in North America but it doesn't taste anything like what you get in Northern Italy. The texture is so different. Not like ice cream at all.

I would love to know what this is please! :cool:

Let's just say you should order your on board duty free during the first leg and you'll be happy(er) during the 2nd leg!

OK, I'll go with Northern Italy. :DThe Southern gelato wasn't as good. I've had tons of gelato in North America but it doesn't taste anything like what you get in Northern Italy. The texture is so different. Not like ice cream at all.

Let's just say you should order your on board duty free during the first leg and you'll be happy(er) during the 2nd leg!

So, they allow you to pick up this duty free right after the 1st leg of the journey and you can take it to your room and have it on the 2nd leg - right. They don't question you at all - sounds great - must tell my husband this one. It's amazing what you learn on this cruise critic. lol.

So, they allow you to pick up this duty free right after the 1st leg of the journey and you can take it to your room and have it on the 2nd leg - right. They don't question you at all - sounds great - must tell my husband this one. It's amazing what you learn on this cruise critic. lol.

yes they do --- another way (I used on a RCL cruise) is find someone on your roll call doing a b2b and have them buy on the cruise before yours and then get it from them when you board. See roll calls can be a big help.

In the past I arrived around 11:00 am and walked straight on.

This last time they put us in a holding barn and after an hour called us by colour code.

Princes doesn't start boarding until almost noon. In our 15 Princess cruises the earliest start was around 11:45 and this has been at 8 different Embarkation ports. It wasn't Princess where you always boarded around 11:00.

Regardiing the coffee card, we were told on a 14 day cruise that we could get the free brewed coffee for the full 14 day cruise when we purchased the card (we were on a 14 day return Alaska cruise that could also be booked as two 7 days) but once the second seven days started they told us at the coffee shop that it is company policy that they only give the free brewed on a coffee card purchased on each leg. We had booked the cruise as a 14 day, not two sevens.

I think a lot depends upon the server because in the same situation in July all I had to do was show my card to get brewed coffee on the 2nd 7 day cruise. :)

I think a lot depends upon the server because in the same situation in July all I had to do was show my card to get brewed coffee on the 2nd 7 day cruise. :)

Same here as well. I did tell the server upon getting the card and they said no problem and they left the date blank. We had no problem at all for the 14 days. Mine was July/aug on the Island Princess.

Well, not really. If you are disembarking, yes, they are supposed to give it to you. When we were on a 14 day (2 seven day) AK a few weeks ago on the Island, they asked and said you could take it ONLY if leaving. Of course some could not tell the truth, however, they are supposed to check as well. So, while it can happen, it is not supposed to.

Well, not really. If you are disembarking, yes, they are supposed to give it to you. When we were on a 14 day (2 seven day) AK a few weeks ago on the Island, they asked and said you could take it ONLY if leaving. Of course some could not tell the truth, however, they are supposed to check as well. So, while it can happen, it is not supposed to.

O.K. so what is the consensus on this one. Do they deliver it to your room or not. I seem to remember us having to go to the shop on board and pick up our duty free:confused::confused::confused:, but could also be another cruise line. Anybody...........

O.K. so what is the consensus on this one. Do they deliver it to your room or not. I seem to remember us having to go to the shop on board and pick up our duty free:confused::confused::confused:, but could also be another cruise line. Anybody...........

I only did this once, and the items I bought on the first cruise were delivered to my cabin the day before that cruise disembarked.

If you buy during the week your room steward will deliver it right into your room last night of the first leg.

I'm not aware of the last day but under normal circumstances they don't allow you to walk out of the store with duty free liquor because they don't want you drinking it in your room. You can however order full priced bottles to your room at any time.

You can also order a bucket of beer to your room at slightly less cost and order regular beer (or wine) glasses to your room and then fill and take with you if you wish.

The reason I originally asked about Princess's current liquor carry on policy is because I was aware of people carrying on a dozen beer each last year no problem. (I recall there was even a thread about it here last year).

Also, while they have the 1 bottle of wine/passenger policy I have always put 2 bottles in each suitcase and never been questioned yet. Doesn't mean I won't be but....

One last tip for fun:

Our group of friends often has bottles left over we take to dinner and get dinged the corkage fee. Fair enough.

Twice now I've taken bottles to the table and said to the wine steward:

"No corkage fee."

"Why not sir?"

"Because there's no cork. It's a screw top."

Both times the steward has laughed and not charged me.

Remember, treat your serving staff politely and respectfully and they'll find ways to give you a little extra.

PS: They still got the corkage fee as I tipped the steward extra both times (I'm cheap but not that cheap).

On our cruise on the Island Princess, on the last night you could take it with you if you were disembarking the next day, if not Princess was holding it until disembarking. That is what the employees were doing. We did not buy any, and the employee was to check to be sure if taking the alcohol with you. I'm just writing what happened a few weeks ago. My husband had discussion about this since he was curious as to the policy.

Edited by sept10dsm

If you buy during the week your room steward will deliver it right into your room last night of the first leg.

I'm not aware of the last day but under normal circumstances they don't allow you to walk out of the store with duty free liquor because they don't want you drinking it in your room. You can however order full priced bottles to your room at any time.

My last Princess cruise I bought from the store on the last afternoon and they told me to take it with me then. It was just a 7 day and no B2B for us.

Of course I would not bet on this happening every time.

On Princess, the liquor available for in cabin consumption is a limited selection of the small 375ml bottles.

Mike:)

My last Princess cruise I bought from the store on the last afternoon and they told me to take it with me then. It was just a 7 day and no B2B for us.

Of course I would not bet on this happening every time.

THey were letting those disembarking the next day take the liquor with them, if staying on board for the b2b, Princess was holding the liquor. While they asked and it was an honor system, the employee was supposed to check as well to make sure you were leaving the ship in the morning.

Also, while they have the 1 bottle of wine/passenger policy I have always put 2 bottles in each suitcase and never been questioned yet. Doesn't mean I won't be but....

My bags went directly to the ship (had ship tags on but didn't pay for it) from the airport so each one had a bottle of wine. I had to go to the 'naughty room' for one bag & the other bag went directly to our cabin. Both had a bottle of wine yet were processed differently...you just never know what will happen. ;)

Is it still a punch card for the fru fru coffe? They used to let you use it for drip coffe as long as you had one punch left. Sounds like they changed it.

Is it still a punch card for the fru fru coffe? They used to let you use it for drip coffe as long as you had one punch left. Sounds like they changed it.

Yes, a punch for a specialty coffee drink with free brewed during the cruise when purchased. There's a 'grey' area for those booked on b2b cruises with some servers not allowing free brewed on the 2nd cruise.

If that happens or you have an older card with punches, you can use a punch for either "fru fru coffee" or a cup of brewed coffee.

Gone are the days of lifetime free brewed coffee as long as you had one punch which wasn't how Princess intended it to work.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yes, a punch for a specialty coffee drink with free brewed during the cruise when purchased. There's a 'grey' area for those booked on b2b cruises with some servers not allowing free brewed on the 2nd cruise.

If that happens or you have an older card with punches, you can use a punch for either "fru fru coffee" or a cup of brewed coffee.

That's bs...we used to keep our card for years, for the brewed coffee with one punch left....

That's bs...we used to keep our card for years, for the brewed coffee with one punch left....

I'm quite sure that's WHY they changed it. I sincerely doubt they ever intended to have it work that way.

Does anyone know if they offer closed caption on the TV's on the Grand?

Thanks for all the great tips.

Yes they do but we only used it on DVD's however it didn't seem to work on 'broadcast' TV but we didn't really try very hard. We don't watch much TV onboard.