Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

How was your cruise Culvercity?

We were onboard The Golden the week before you and had a very good cruise.

Mike:)

We had a great cruise. Reports about the ship being run down and the food not good were wrong in my opinion.

The ship is in great shape especially for her age. The ship was clean and their were forever painting parts. The food was really good most nights and fabulous on the other nights. We even went to the buffet, which was good as well. The Pub lunch was good but too much fried food for me. We are foodies and picky to boot. If we did not like something, we just ordered another dish. We had the late traditional seating. Our waiters were very good.

We had Caribe Balconies (C227 - ours and C231 - family) which were amazing. Half covered half open. Our cabin was nice and quiet. Carpets were clean without any stains. We slept with the balcony door open every night. We could hear our neighbors talking on their balcony but they did go to bed after a bit.

We thought the ship was in excellent shape as well.

This was our 5th cruise on her and she was none the worse for wear.

We were only about 25 cabins away also on the Starboard side in C421.

We loved the food in the Crown Grill and the dining room but were disappointed in the Horizon Court. It was not bad but we just didn't think it was up to par.

All in all it was a great trip.

The small refrigerator will have a large (1.5 liter?) bottle of water and some cans of soda but they can be removed and placed behind your TV. The sodas cost $1.95 + 15% gratuity and the water is $3.50 + 15% gratuity.

Since I would be the one opening the refrigerator door, opening the can of soda, pouring the soda, and disposing of the empty can, do I get to participate in the gratuity pool and get some of the 15% gratuity paid back to me?:rolleyes: In a self-serve environment, who, besides the passenger, is doing any work to justify that charge?

You can also get a table for two in the MDR for breakfast or lunch if you request it when you enter.

We often like to have lunch there. While we normally enjoy sharing, DH managed to get sun screen in one of his eyes and the white part turned Blood Red. He has very light blue eyes so it really stood out. Rather than subject tablemates to his bloody looking eye while they were trying to eat, we ask for a table for two. No problem getting it.

LuLu

~~~~

Since I would be the one opening the refrigerator door, opening the can of soda, pouring the soda, and disposing of the empty can, do I get to participate in the gratuity pool and get some of the 15% gratuity paid back to me?:rolleyes: In a self-serve environment, who, besides the passenger, is doing any work to justify that charge?
Consider it part of the cost of cruising ;)

We thought the ship was in excellent shape as well.

This was our 5th cruise on her and she was none the worse for wear.

We were only about 25 cabins away also on the Starboard side in C421.

We loved the food in the Crown Grill and the dining room but were disappointed in the Horizon Court. It was not bad but we just didn't think it was up to par.

All in all it was a great trip.

I love the Crown Grill too. Sabatini's not so much.

Pretty funny! But alas you are not the one stocking the refrigerator. :D

I just returned from an Alaska sailing on the Golden Princess on Sunday.

I was having issues with the shower curtain attacking me while showering.

I attached two hangers to the bottom of the curtain to keep it from grabbing me.

See the attached photo for details.

There is a bit of water that will escape from the shower so put an extra towel down to collect it.

If this helps someone, then great.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks,

Christie

Thanks Christie!

I love this tip. I will using this on our next Princess cruise. I keep forgetting to bring something to weigh the curtain down - this tip doesn't require me to pack anything.

I love the Golden Princess. Had a great cruise with my mom to Alaska some years ago. The souffle desserts were delicious! Glad to hear she is holding up.

-Rose

I know this isn't a secret tip but.....

Since it is 9/11 I would like to share a historical fact about the Golden Princess. We heard this story on our very first cruise aboard the Sapphire. This is a second hand story but the gentleman was very convincing.

It seems he & his family were on a European cruise aboard the Golden Princess (Mediterranean?) during that fateful time Sept 2001. When the cruise ended (& other cruiselines face the same problem) the passengers were faced with how to get home when all the flights going into the US stopped that day. This man told us that the Golden Princess allowed their passengers to remain onboard until they could arrange flights going home. The ship didn't just stay in one port but traveled to other ports to assist US passengers getting home. He told us other cruiselines just disembarked their passengers & let them fend for themselves.

This gentleman was forever "sold" on Princess. He saw true customer service with that experience.

The washers and dryers on the Royal Princess uses tokens. They don't use quarters.

On Diamond Princess you're able to use quarters.

I know this isn't a secret tip but.....

Since it is 9/11 I would like to share a historical fact about the Golden Princess. We heard this story on our very first cruise aboard the Sapphire. This is a second hand story but the gentleman was very convincing.

It seems he & his family were on a European cruise aboard the Golden Princess (Mediterranean?) during that fateful time Sept 2001. When the cruise ended (& other cruiselines face the same problem) the passengers were faced with how to get home when all the flights going into the US stopped that day. This man told us that the Golden Princess allowed their passengers to remain onboard until they could arrange flights going home. The ship didn't just stay in one port but traveled to other ports to assist US passengers getting home. He told us other cruiselines just disembarked their passengers & let them fend for themselves.

This gentleman was forever "sold" on Princess. He saw true customer service with that experience.

That's a great story!

A couple notes on the 55 pages that I just read.... also a thanks to culvercitychristie for typing up the secrets. If there were a wiki on the first page then it can be updated.

The library (also where someone posted you can check your email for free, they called it a different room) if you watch the wake up call (On tv from 6AM to umm I'm guessing 9, I'm sure someone knows) they have a question of the day. It's usually a question about someone they just interviewed. Anyway, you can get the paper to fill out the question and put it in the box. You win a little gift, a pen or something little, and your name is announced on the wake up call. My father won 3 out of the 4 times we played, Stu Mcgunigall said "The xxx's won again??"

I am quite surprised about the discussion about internet on here. When we went to Alaska in June, I went cold turkey, until I found free email in the Library. But I only checked it once and that was it. I really just want to get away from the computer. Then again, I am not one of the walking zombies texting on the streets. Technology is great but at times it's frustrating.

As for tea during tea time. Someone said something about Lipton Tea? I asked for earl grey tea and my mom oolong. I read all 55 pages so I dont' remember who posted what, I'm sorry!

I bought shares for CCL at Sharebuilder. i already had an account. It's $6.95 per trade and if you open an account search for a $100 coupon. Except you need to deposit $5,000 in your account. It's free if you have a Capital One account, there's a charge for funding if non C1 but I don't know if that counts for opening accounts. I bought mine today at ~$37/share. I see some people bought it for less. I plan on keeping my stocks since Princess seems to be the cruiseline to stay.

As for requesting food, I requested a plate of honeydew for dessert at dinner. It's not on the menu. You're allowed to ask for two entrees as well. When they have NY Strip Steak on the last day, I ordered two. Ordered Appetizer and Honeydew dessert as well. I'm not a sweets person but I didn't really care for their desserts. But I can see that many people love their desserts. I tried their NY Cheesecake... not even close and I tried their brownie with icecream (forgot the name) and it was too sweet!

I'm sorry this post is so long but I wanted to mention about the book talk. There was a gathering for Knitters and Crocheters on the Patter. My mom went, she's an expert in knitting (she'll say otherwise) we went. No one from Princess was there. I thought it was a bit odd until I read about the book talk. I think that was the only negative on the whole cruise. I think if they're going to host an event, someone from Princess should be there to help. I know a couple people went to learn to knit. After we figured out no one was coming everyone left. No one from Princess was there to entertain the group. I guess entertain is not the right word.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will definitely subscribe to this thread so I can see what other secrets there are. I'm going to Canada/New England on October 19th... can't wait!

Edited by tryagainlater

The above post referenced a tip I have not read..... you can get free internet in the library?

Just to check your email, that's it

Unfortunately there is no free Internet anywhere onboard except access to the Princess website & to email a personalized e-card through the Princess site.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Just read / scanned 322 post and pretty thin on secrets!

Seems military discounts, the stock option OBC and the fact you can get a bath robe if you ask or that the food at the intentional cafe is free was all that is to be gleaned from all these post?

None are what I would call secrets.

Not a prodigious Princess cruiser but I will give up one of my secrets.

You can use the computers outside the cruise booking office to send free emails.

You access the Post card option and you can send free picture post cards of Princess ships and travel scenes to all your friends, family and work colleagues.

Send as many and as often as you want.

There are other goodies but if I give them up they will no longer be secrets would they?

Below is a picture from the Crown Princess from several years ago. I do not know if these computers still exist.

Well I'm not making it up because people have said the same thing. I used it in Diamond Princess and it looked exactly like the picture caribill posted.

Edited by tryagainlater

Penthouse Suites and Owners Suites get Free Internet all you can surf. OS get a connected computer you can use. I have done Video Calls to my Granddaughter on our last Princess Cruise on the Crown with a MacBook Pro and showed her the suite, the deck and the Ocean aft of the ship. The only thing you cannot do free or otherwise is go to Cruise Critic. This site is blocked on Princess as Carnival owns the whole deal top to bottom and does not permit going to CC while on the ship. This is the time to do it at a Free Web site on shore!

Penthouse Suites and Owners Suites get Free Internet all you can surf. OS get a connected computer you can use. I have done Video Calls to my Granddaughter on our last Princess Cruise on the Crown with a MacBook Pro and showed her the suite, the deck and the Ocean aft of the ship. The only thing you cannot do free or otherwise is go to Cruise Critic. This site is blocked on Princess as Carnival owns the whole deal top to bottom and does not permit going to CC while on the ship. This is the time to do it at a Free Web site on shore!

Sorry but there is NO free internet in suites on Princess anymore. This was discontinued with bookings after July 2012.

Sorry but there is NO free internet in suites on Princess anymore. This was discontinued with bookings after July 2012.

Hm... then whose account did I use when I checked my email in the library... :confused: Fine, the experts say no so I guess I'm wrong. Was just trying to help. Guess I should stay in my corner...

Penthouse Suites and Owners Suites get Free Internet all you can surf.

No free internet for suite pax anymore. I read somewhere else it was being abused.

This site is blocked on Princess as Carnival owns the whole deal top to bottom and does not permit going to CC while on the ship. This is the time to do it at a Free Web site on shore!

I didn't know that they blocked CC. I've read "Live From" threads I wonder how they do it?