Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You - 2013 version

If you are buying 100 shares can it be put under the name of your trust and therefore either person sailing can get the cruise credit?

Yes. Ours is in trust. Of course our trust name leaves no question as to who it is.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Forums mobile app

I will be cruising for the first time in a few months. I was told the Caribbean Princess has a refrigerator in each room. Is this separate from the mini-bar, or is the mini-bar considered the refrigerator? I was planning to take a 12 pack of soda with me, plus I am a diabetic, so I need it for my insulin. I purchased a soda card in advance, for my drinks outside my room, but I prefer my cans of soda for my in-room drinking. I enjoy reading about all of the secrets since I have no idea what I am getting into on the ship.

I will be cruising for the first time in a few months. I was told the Caribbean Princess has a refrigerator in each room. Is this separate from the mini-bar, or is the mini-bar considered the refrigerator? I was planning to take a 12 pack of soda with me, plus I am a diabetic, so I need it for my insulin. I purchased a soda card in advance, for my drinks outside my room, but I prefer my cans of soda for my in-room drinking. I enjoy reading about all of the secrets since I have no idea what I am getting into on the ship.

Yes, there'll be a fridge in your room. It'll be pre-loaded with a few items. If you don't use them you won't be charged. There'll likely be some bottled water as well. Unless it says complimentary you'll be charged if you open any. I just take a plastic water bottle and fill it at the gym and keep it in the fridge.

As for the soda package, after my first cruise I never bought it again. The soda package is for the fountain and tastes watered down to me. I found buying tins in the lounges cost me about the same and I tend to drink a lot more soda pop than alcohol.

The mini-bar set up is just for Full Suite and Elite status passengers. The small refrigerator will have a large (1.5 liter?) bottle of water and some cans of soda but they can be removed and placed behind your TV. The steward will also often keep the filled ice bucket there. The sodas cost $1.95 + 15% gratuity and the water is $3.50 + 15% gratuity. Sometimes it is hard to fully close the door so make certain it will stay cold enough for you insulin.

Thanks for the quick responses. I drink a lot of diet soda, so I wanted to make sure I didn't go broke during the cruise. Once I have the first cruise out of the way, and sort of know what I am doing, I will know what to buy, and what to pass on.

As in real life, not all rules apply to all people because we are dealing with individuals and sometimes THEY adapt the rules. Sometimes we were told to bring our duty free back to our room when we bought on the last sea day and nobody asked if we were B2B. Sometimes we were asked. We have entered the ship in Puerto Rico with full bottles of rum down our pants:eek: and not been stopped. Once we just carried them in our arms and laughed that we were smuggling them in...and they let us ! LOL If the person who collects the booze is not at their duty or talking with another employee or fooling around and your box of booze is not collected at that station...nobody else questions you and it's back to your room. We have had bottles in Grand Cayman not delivered to the ship...and that only needs to happen once and we insist on carring our own bottles.....I think that none of us try to "get away" with breaking the rules...We always give our room steward a good " glad to meet you tip" at the beginning of any cruise....on Sea days we usually tell them they don't have to make our bed ..just just make it ourselves...and we just exchange the towels ourselves...as a result they are more than happy to take things out of our room that we don't use...like an extra chair or coffee table. They always bring us as many hangers as we need and pillow types. Our dry cleaning and laundry is returned and hung up in a timely manner. Wine glasses are always available etc. ...I'm rambling:p sometimes the entire Elite holding room at embarkation is onboard before 11:00 ..there is no rhyme nor reason...just human relations to everybodies onboard experiences;)...oh, and we always have our bucket of ice cubes...not for our drinks...but we just pour the water into our water bottles and have them for shore. Also if the soda in the mini bar is not your choice you can just bring them to a bar yourself and they will exchange them for you. Your room steward has enough to do on the first couple of days. You can also bring the juices from breakfast and use them for your mini liquor bottle collections LOL

Edited by myjillian

My,

As in real life, not all rules apply to all people because we are dealing with individuals and sometimes THEY adapt the rules. Sometimes we were told to bring our duty free back to our room when we bought on the last sea day and nobody asked if we were B2B. Sometimes we were asked. We have entered the ship in Puerto Rico with full bottles of rum down our pants:eek: and not been stopped. Once we just carried them in our arms and laughed that we were smuggling them in...and they let us ! LOL If the person who collects the booze is not at their duty or talking with another employee or fooling around and your box of booze is not collected at that station...nobody else questions you and it's back to your room. We have had bottles in Grand Cayman not delivered to the ship...and that only needs to happen once and we insist on carring our own bottles.....I think that none of us try to "get away" with breaking the rules...

Well said.

I write for a financial magazine and termed this a "COD Effect" or Clerk O'the Day. Companies set policies and for various reasons they are interpreted or applied differently. When people write to me that they are having trouble with transfer agents I advise calling back until you get the answer you want.

Thanks for the quick responses. I drink a lot of diet soda, so I wanted to make sure I didn't go broke during the cruise. Once I have the first cruise out of the way, and sort of know what I am doing, I will know what to buy, and what to pass on.

I usually pre-order a Canned Soda Package.

It's under gifts and service on the Princess web site.

You can also just wait until you're onboard and order the package from room service.

When I get to my room on the first day, there is a Coupon/Receipt on the desk.

You just call room service and tell them what sodas you want and they bring it to you.

Choose any six sodas listed below in any combination for the price of five: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale

Item#2311 $11.75

Does anyone know if there is closed caption on the TV on the Grand?

My thanks to Kentski for information about the DVD's having CC.

Thanks

We have spent over 78 days on The Grand and in Jan we expect to spend 15 more days. If the TV has CC I'm sure I would have used it;) but we havn't been on it since it's been re done. So, who knows ? It would be nice if it did because Princess has the best TV at sea....and a chance to catch up on movies you havn't seen yet:cool:

Another tip (if not covered already):

Many of the lines are starting to become more restrictive on what counts towards your passenger levels: bronze, silver, gold, etc.

Princess is still going by number of trips.

You can really boost your level fast by taking 1, 2, 3 or 4 day trips. In fact this year it was possible to combine a 1 + 3 + 4 = 8 day trip from Seattle to Vancouver to LA to Catalina to LA for about the same price as an 8 - 10 day regular trip as they are all repositioning.

This counted as 3 trips and it wasn't much more to upgrade to a mini suite making it count as 6 trips.

Only thing is Vancouver to LA is a coastal which can have heavier seas than a Caribbean cruise (mind you the Gravol made it fine for us and I get sea sick easily).

We get double cruise credit for booking our Mini suite? We have a 3 day coming up in Oct...Our 1st Princess Shelly

We get double cruise credit for booking our Mini suite? We have a 3 day coming up in Oct...Our 1st Princess Shelly

No double points in a mini-suite unless sailing solo...double points are for those in a full suite.

Question: How many cruise credits can I earn per cruise?

Answer: Most passengers will receive one credit per cruise. Passengers who pay for and sail in a full suite will earn 2 cruise credits; Passengers sailing alone in a cabin and paying the exclusive occupancy fare will earn 2 cruise credits; Passengers who sail alone in a cabin and pay for the exclusive occupancy fare for a full suite will earn 3 cruise credits.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/contactUs.page

Edited by Astro Flyer

No double points in a mini-suite unless sailing solo...double points are for those in a full suite.

Question: How many cruise credits can I earn per cruise?

Answer: Most passengers will receive one credit per cruise. Passengers who pay for and sail in a full suite will earn 2 cruise credits; Passengers sailing alone in a cabin and paying the exclusive occupancy fare will earn 2 cruise credits; Passengers who sail alone in a cabin and pay for the exclusive occupancy fare for a full suite will earn 3 cruise credits.

https://book.princess.com/captaincircle/contactUs.page

OK, thanks for clarifying

I think that some of the confusion for double points are those who also cruise Celebrity. On Celebrity you get one point for the cruise and extra point if the cruise is over 12 days..and an extra point if you are in Concierge class etc...so you can get the highest level fast, however ,the Princess Elite has so many more "bennies" than any of the cruise lines out there:) If you are starting out Princess is a good line to stick with...150 days or 15 cruises for Elite. If your on the West coast and young with limited vacation time those short reposition cruises can add up fast;) If your retired with time on your hands the longer cruises are the way to go. I remember once going to a Holland awards ceremony once to get our 100 day "necklace?" ( my husband was so thrilled :p) and this couple was only in their late teens..early 20's and they also were rewarded. We spoke to them afterwards and asked if they have been cruising since they were children..they laughed and said that this was their second cruise ! They took a scholarship at sea course last year and it was 100 days and it counted for Holland.....sooooooo each line is different LOL

Not wishing to contradict anyone. I originally posted about the double cruise credit in reference to the coastals.

I do recall an offer coming our way about double credit on at least some of these. It might well have been a "one-time" offer just after the financial meltdown. I do know we booked an inside as all were automatically upgraded to a balcony on the 2 day Vancouver to SF we took.

The coastals can be a bit bumpy and double credits on a mini-suite might be an inducement for sales.

But I also admit I could be mistaken.

Edited by operabob1

I do recall an offer coming our way about double credit on at least some of these.

Sorry, should have read:

I do recall an offer coming our way about double credit on a mini-suite for at least some of these.

Edited by operabob1

It's your choice. When you arrive in the dining room' date=' you'll be asked if you want to be seated alone or with others.[/quote']

Which is great because sometimes one feels like being social and sometimes one doesn't. I used to travel alone extensively and never minded being alone. I met great people that way. They also have special activities for single travelers that you might enjoy.

I am traveling solo on an upcoming cruise and I'm wondering about dining. I'm doing anytime dining...will I be seated by myself (which is fine) or will I be seated at a larger table with other cruisers (which is also fine)?

It's up to you. The head waiter will seat you at which ever type table you prefer. If you want a table by yourself you may have to wait a little longer, but it shouldn't be very much longer.

I just returned from an Alaska sailing on the Golden Princess on Sunday.

I was having issues with the shower curtain attacking me while showering.

I attached two hangers to the bottom of the curtain to keep it from grabbing me.

See the attached photo for details.

There is a bit of water that will escape from the shower so put an extra towel down to collect it.

If this helps someone, then great.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks,

Christie

Shower-Curtain-Containment-1.jpg.89b017b67ef2725c8b68051dab1d9359.jpg

I just returned from an Alaska sailing on the Golden Princess on Sunday.

I was having issues with the shower curtain attacking me while showering.

I attached two hangers to the bottom of the curtain to keep it from grabbing me.

See the attached photo for details.

There is a bit of water that will escape from the shower so put an extra towel down to collect it.

If this helps someone, then great.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks,

Christie

Good alternative to "wearing" the curtain.