Roll Call Etiquette - What Would You Do?

sail7seas

[quote name='HamOp'][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sorry Seago2, the bug lives on.

You're out voted. Maybe I should start a pole as to the bug stays or goes:D
Non binding of course.

Some post avatars of their cat or dog, the bug is my pet.

Name anyone?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Bitsy, since it's so small. I'd rather have the lively bitsy bug than that spider!

I think your feelings started when you approached her--having listened in on her conversation (even though her voice carried). That seemed to indicate to her that you were interested in meeting her, and since the conversation that she was having (that you listened in on) was about the Meet and Greet you were intersted in the meeting.
Neither of you did anything wrong--CC is not a closed club and indeed the more the merrier.
As soon as you told her your sreen name you knew that she would be thrilled to introduce you to the other members of the roll call.
But..being so famous (in our little world) did you find that once you were identified were you bothered for the entire cruise by members coming up to you? You post so often here and are truly one of the HAL experts that we all think we know you and are friends. Did you fear that your privacy and quality time with DH and those who really know you would be impacted?
You did nothing wrong and I hope that you enjoyed meeting the other CC members.

[quote name='elizabeth612']It depends on what the gift was, lol. BTW, what was the gift?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I'm dying to know now! Individual monogrammed "CC" hankies? Expensive things? Was she totally off her rocker...?

[quote name='HamOp'][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Red"]My buggy got eaten....[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Jeeez Louise! :eek: I stand corrected! On behalf of this entire forum I apologize for my behavior and beg you to bring back Hambly, the innocent little left pupil annoyance!

I can't believe this "self appointed leader" stuff (but I can). How come no roll call I'm ever on cares that much?

[quote name='sapper1']Add me to the list of people who like the posts but are bugged by the bug.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I was at first too! When I had the bug on my screen I would often try to kill it..:eek: Our Grandkids did too..LOL[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='HamOp']Yes, but you see by tonight or tomorrow morning, you may come to love him:D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Actually not...What I've learned to do is quickly scan by your posts so I don't have to see the annoying bug & I'll do the same with the spider..;)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='jbhcw']The bug almost didn't make it the other day...as I tried forcefully to get him off my monitor:eek: Good thing there was no one home to see this crazy old lady fighting with the little buggy!!

BTW...Sail...I believe I was at the same Meet and Greet and I assure you the host and hostess were thrilled you agreed to come! It was a larger M&G...structured with games and gifts if I remember correctly... and obvious that a lot of work had gone into organizing it. I am still in contact with them thru FB:)

<snip>
[/quote]

[B] Thank you so much for this message. I'm so happy to read it. Truly, it has lurked in my mind since that maybe I should not have attended.

They are a wonderful, very fun, happy couple and nice to be around. :) Please send my regards.

[/B]

[quote name='mountainmare']

<snip>

Neither of you did anything wrong--CC is not a closed club and indeed the more the merrier.
As soon as you told her your sreen name you knew that she would be thrilled to introduce you to the other members of the roll call.
But..being so famous (in our little world) did you find that once you were identified were you bothered for the entire cruise by members coming up to you? You post so often here and are truly one of the HAL experts that we all think we know you and are friends. Did you fear that your privacy and quality time with DH and those who really know you would be impacted?
You did nothing wrong and I hope that you enjoyed meeting the other CC members.[/quote]

[B] Not in the least..... we were never 'bothered' at all. We ran into folks here and there who I had met at the M&G, but it was always very pleasant exchanges. Anyone who thought poorly of me for having attended and accepting gifts, was polite enough to keep it to themselves. :o No one said anything particularly ugly or offensive to me.
Thankfully.

As to 'listening in'....... anyone who has been to Pinnacle along the glass knows those tables are very close together. They were a table for four and were having a joyful, vigourous conversation. It was hardly possible to not have heard it though I don't mean to imply it was impolite to others. It was merely two couples enjoying each other's company and having a hearty time. Double negative...... we could not have not heard. :D

Thanks for some of these really wonderful messages here. I am very appreciative how kindly so many responded and it is truly has made me feel better about it. Clearly if I brought it up here, it's been bothering me lurking somewhere in the back of my mind.

[/B]

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Ok, everybody calm down.:D Buggy (or Speedy) didn't really get eaten, I was just kidding. He has returned for a limited engagement.:p

To the OP of this thread, I'm sorry it got hijacked, but we did have some fun.
What was this thread about again?
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[B]I think the thread is about 'bugging people'. :D

Me bugging a M&G for a Roll Call on which I never contributed and then about
a particular insect bugging out.......

It's all on topic!!! :D

[/B]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]First I would not have bothered to introduce myself to the woman.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]Then there would not have been a problem.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='Krazy Kruizers'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]I think the biggest problem I have here -- listening to another person's conversation.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4]We have had people talking loud around us. I just keep talking to my DH and the staff -- ignoring those people.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[B] Thank you for sharing your viewpoint.
Obviously, I chose to be a bit more friendly than that. Happily, they did as well. :)

[/B]

I have always invited "non CC" people I have met, to the M&G. None have ever taken me up on it. I'm sure it's because they feel they don't belong.

Aren't you guys the least bit curious about what the roll call posters are like in person??? You don't have to socialize with them again, if you don't want to. Even if you are seriously shy, it's no big deal just to check everyone out!!

Sometimes it's an advantage for others to meet you in the flesh. On another board, my fellow rollcall member was able to speak up in my behalf about some issue, because he "knew" me!

[quote name='Seago2']1. How come men never organize meet and greets? Heh heh, as if....:p

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]I did one on the Veendam last year. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][B]Don't see what the big deal is ... M&Gs are for Cruise Critic members. Most of the ones I have attended (and I've organized a few myself) have had other non-CCers :eek: invited as well ... the more the merrier![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][B]I do have to admit, though, that I have no desire to participate in gift exchanges or other organized activities of that sort. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial Narrow][SIZE=3][COLOR=seagreen][B]For me the best thing about the Roll Calls is the ability to organize private tours! M&Gs are a nice side benefit. [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Speaking of 'self-appointed' leaders. I've arranged the M&G for our upcoming cruise. I did it because I got the impression (probably an unwritten rule) that the person who starts the Roll Call thread is responsible for doing it. Does that amount to self-appointed or not? I thought it was by default. Am I right? Someone has to do it, surely these things don't just come together by themselves - not that I've put in any particular effort.

We had a fabulous Roll Call on our last Cruise and the M&G was very well attended and we've made some great friends and acquaintences from that. I'm grateful to the people who organised that.

Mumsy.

[quote name='Seago2']1. How come men never organize meet and greets? Heh heh, as if....:p

2. Please, do me a favor and describe, for my amusement, a meet and greet game. Please. :D[/QUOTE]

Musical Chair Hogs.

Pin the breakfast order slip on the wrong door

"Button , button ...who's got the button ?" Played with real elevator buttons

[quote name='LindaM']I have always invited "non CC" people I have met, to the M&G. None have ever taken me up on it. I'm sure it's because they feel they don't belong.

Aren't you guys the least bit curious about what the roll call posters are like in person??? You don't have to socialize with them again, if you don't want to. Even if you are seriously shy, it's no big deal just to check everyone out!!

<snip>
[/quote]

[B] I almost never even look to see if there is a roll call for our cruises so, No, I am not curious to meet people that I've never heard of. If you don't read the Roll Call, no names ring a bell or call out 'for meeting'.

When I used to read the Roll Calls, I almost never saw names from here on the main board posting there.

There seem to many who take what they can on Roll Call but don't contribute to the main forum for the cruise line. That, of course, is fine and all should do exactly as they wish in that regard but there is often no familiarlarity on the Roll Call board.

[/B]

2. Please, do me a favor and describe, for my amusement, a meet and greet game. Please. :D[/quote]

I have organized 7. ;) Then again, the passengers were 95% men. :D

We don't do games, but one one cruise there were two excursions organized by roll call members and I had a list of who was going to participate in each them. I placed a letter on the name tags to identify which excursion the person was going on (or left it blank for those not participating) and I did not mention or explain the codes and left it up to people to figure it out. That was rather fun and it made them interact with each other.

[quote name='Boytjie']I have organized 7. ;) Then again, the passengers were 95% men. :D

We don't do games, but one one cruise there were two excursions organized by roll call members and I had a list of who was going to participate in each them. I placed a letter on the name tags to identify which excursion the person was going on (or left it blank for those not participating) and I did not mention or explain the codes and left it up to people to figure it out. That was rather fun and it made them interact with each other.[/quote]

[B] Great idea.... that surely got people chatting with each other. :)

[/B]

[quote name='Boytjie']I have organized 7. ;) Then again, the passengers were 95% men. :D

We don't do games, but one one cruise there were two excursions organized by roll call members and I had a list of who was going to participate in each them. I placed a letter on the name tags to identify which excursion the person was going on (or left it blank for those not participating) and I did not mention or explain the codes and left it up to people to figure it out. That was rather fun and it made them interact with each other.[/QUOTE]

Please!! Don't talk about Atlantis or any other gay charters or in any way remind us of how much MORE fun you have! My Gay Work Husband had quite the little diatribe on door decorations the other day- I've been taking my iPad to work in my quest to reach 5,000 posts by my sail date- and I was mocking the whole door decorations thing. Not so fast! Gay cruises + door decorations = way, way more fun.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] I almost never even look to see if there is a roll call for our cruises so, No, I am not curious to meet people that I've never heard of. If you don't read the Roll Call, no names ring a bell or call out 'for meeting'. [/B]

[B][COLOR=darkorange]When I used to read the Roll Calls, I almost never saw names from here on the main board posting there. [/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=darkorange] [/COLOR]
[B]There seem to many who take what they can on Roll Call but don't contribute to the main forum for the cruise line. That, of course, is fine and all should do exactly as they wish in that regard but there is often no familiarlarity on the Roll Call board.[/B]

[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That still holds true...at least, that's been my experience. Very rarely do people on our roll calls post here.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Mumsysailor']Please forgive my ignorance. What does that mean? :confused:

Mumsy.[/quote]

Gay Work Husband: A gay man that a works with a woman, that does all the things her husband doesn't like to do e.g. go shopping. :D

There is also a variation for a gay man that works with a straight man that also likes to do similar things. My partner has an ex-work husband. :)

[quote name='Seago2']Please!! Don't talk about Atlantis or any other gay charters or in any way remind us of how much MORE fun you have! My Gay Work Husband had quite the little diatribe on door decorations the other day- I've been taking my iPad to work in my quest to reach 5,000 posts by my sail date- and I was mocking the whole door decorations thing. Not so fast! Gay cruises + door decorations = way, way more fun.[/quote]

I only talk RSVP charters - have not done any Atlantis ones.

Well, maybe you should join your GWH on one of the cruises! You won't mock door decorations after you see what decorating takes place - it may be replaced with awe (and/or shock!). ;)

Archived