Upper/Lower porthole

Has anyone ever stayed in one of these cabins? Are they smaller than a regular inside? Are they noisy? I am thinking of doing one on the Splendor with my 10 year old nephew. Just looking for some input. Thanks!

I've never booked one. I've seen some threads talking about those cabins. If memory serves me correctly, they are the same size or slightly bigger.

Do a search on the boards for the cabins. Good luck!

I haven't stayed in an upper/lower Porthole, but I have stayed in a regular porthole on the Elation and will be on the Ecstasy in October. They sold it at the same rate as an interior....was on the Riviera Deck on the Elation and will be on the Main Deck on Ecstasy....room with a view for an interior price can't be beat.

Never done one of these cabins on "Splendor", but have done them on other ships. I think you'll find it to be slightly smaller, (160 sq. ft., as opposed to 185 sq. ft.) and I think you'll find that depending on which deck you're on, you might hear a fair amount of noise from the waves hitting the hull when you're underway. Also, you'll probably be jolted out of bed when you enter a port where you're tendering, as they'll drop the anchor right outside your porthole, and it does make quite a noise, that you won't be expecting. All in all, if you want natural light, and don't mind just a bit of noise, these cabins are a good buy. If you're worried about the noise, then I'd suggest snagging one of the 1-A cabins more mid ship, or even aft.

"SKY"

Yes we stayed in a porthole cabin this past August on the Glory and we really enjoyed it. We stayed in one on the main deck. We booked one again for our upcoming cruise. It was enough room for the both for us(boyfriend and I) and we really enjoyed it. And the value can't be beat. The view is also a plus. Yes it is a little noisy when when the achor is dropped and etc but nothing to bother us too much. We don't stay in the room much anyway.

Has anyone ever stayed in one of these cabins? Are they smaller than a regular inside? Are they noisy? I am thinking of doing one on the Splendor with my 10 year old nephew. Just looking for some input. Thanks!

I have stayed in these cabins many times. I don't think they are noisy and they are the same size as the interior cabins. IMO the porthole cabins are the best deal on the ship.

Gary

I cruised the Paradise last week in one of these staterooms. It was excellent. Very little if any noise, although I could slightly hear the pounding of the waves against the bow. I quickly got used to it and it not cause me to loose sleep. The stateroom was R26 here are some pics.

IMAG0018_zps98a69707.jpg

IMAG0017_zpsf8f41bbe.jpg

Mine was almost OV size, over 200 s.f. so it was much larger than a regular inside and it also did not have upper and lower beds. Thats just the standard carnival verbage.

Mine had one twin and one convertible sofa. On Splendor most of the 1As with port holes with also be set up like this.

Thanks everyone! I was looking to take my nephew, and he wouldn't mind being on a top bunk, and we don't really spend a ton of time in the room. Myself and a friend are actually booked for a Porthole cabin on the Imagination, but not an upper/ lower one. I just found it weird that the upper/ lower porthole cabins are cheaper than a regular interior.

The pictures of cabin R26 on the Paradise above are not a 1A porthole cabin, that the original poster was talking about booking. Those pictures are actually a PT cabin (used to be 5A).

The 1a cabin that the OP was asking about will have a twin and a pull-out sofa, as opposed to the twins/king that are found in most cabins.

Archived