Sleeping arrangements for 2 year old

We are going on a 12 night Independence of the Seas cruise in September with our daughter who will be just over 2 years old. We have got a Grand Suite booked.

We had originally assumed that we could get a cot for her but I now see from the RCCI website that cots aren't available. Looking at the maximum sizes and weights they say for the travel cots/ playpens, I am worried that (even though she is not big) that she will be too big for this.

What have other people with children this age done? I am not sure whether we can get her sleeping in a bed by then, although I assume that there is a sofa bed in the room (as above, we are in a Grand Suite) but we would worry about her falling out etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we are pretty stumped on this!

Hopefully, the sofa can be turned around so that the open seating part is against the wall at night. Or I have even seen towels rolled up and used under the sheets to make a fence on the edge in case she rolls over if the sofa can't be turned around. Have a great trip!

You can request a crib. They are smaller than full size about the size of a pack and play with a gs you will have plenty of room. We had one in js and it was fine. If you get there and it doesn't work just have them take it out and go to plan B.

We are going on a 12 night Independence of the Seas cruise in September with our daughter who will be just over 2 years old. We have got a Grand Suite booked.

We had originally assumed that we could get a cot for her but I now see from the RCCI website that cots aren't available. Looking at the maximum sizes and weights they say for the travel cots/ playpens, I am worried that (even though she is not big) that she will be too big for this.

What have other people with children this age done? I am not sure whether we can get her sleeping in a bed by then, although I assume that there is a sofa bed in the room (as above, we are in a Grand Suite) but we would worry about her falling out etc.

Just a thought: cot is the British English word for crib. Cot in North American English is a foldable bed. Maybe the RCI agent misunderstood?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

Just a thought: cot is the British English word for crib. Cot in North American English is a foldable bed. Maybe the RCI agent misunderstood?

yes, very good point.

A lot can change in a few months, so it's possible that your daughter will be ready to sleep in a bed by then. We cruised with our son (who was about 2.5 years old at the time) and he slept in a sofa-turned-bed.

As others have mentioned, they do offer cribs too, so that's another possibility.

We put our 2yr old grandson on the pull out couch. It is quite large; we did add some pillows; but the pull out was large enough; that even if he rolled a little he was still in the middle of the bed.

When our son was around 2 we had a crib in the room. He soooo didn't like it, but he loved to sleep on the sofa, so we put the crib up against the sofa and boxed him in. You will find something that works for you :)

This looks like what we've used for travelling (though the branding is different in Canada):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NScessity-Travel-Centre-Large-Red/dp/B0014DGTZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1368386371&sr=8-2&keywords=peapod+travel+bed

It collapses into a size small enough to fit inside a large suitcase, with room to spare. We've had ours all over Canada and Europe. (In fact, I think we still have one at my in-laws' home in Europe; we left it there for future travels and bought a second for here.) I bought it after being provided with a dodgy-looking crib at a (5 star) hotel in Austria.

Perhaps something like these might help if they really cannot provide a travel bed?

http://www.boots.com/en/Dream-Tubes-Microfibre-Single-Bed-Set_1246227/ (if they fit the dimensions of the beds on board)

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-My-First-Ready-Bed---Happy-Town/528848,default,pd.html#q=Travel

balcony:rolleyes:

Many thanks for some helpful advice there! What the RCCI website actually says is:

Q: Can cots/rollaway beds be provided in my stateroom?s.gifA: Royal Caribbean provides Play Yards for use on board. Play Yards are similar to a playpen. Cots are no longer provided.

Play Yard's specifications:

For use by children unable to climb out, less than 61 cm (24") tall, and less than 13.5 kg (30 lbs); mesh on four sides; can be set up in less than one minute; strong and stable, yet lightweight; approx. dimensions 71 cm (28") W x 99 cm (38 7/8") L x 78 cm (31-1/4") H; the mattress/pad is 2. 5 cm (1") thick; sheets are provided; folds for storage and includes a carrying bag with a handle

Play Yards should be reserved in advance so that we can be sure we have enough on board.

No the crib we had was metal sort of like what you see in hospitals. I am guessing so they can clean it well. It was about 3/4 the size of a full size crib you might buy at home. We have been taking young grandkids on two cruises now and they have slept on the fold out sofa and crib. Seems to me the sofa is pretty low to the floor and putting the cushions, pillows, etc around would be just fine. It seems on a Carnival trip they had some sort of guard rail they stick under the sofa cushion (not folded out) that pretty much locked the granddaughter in.

A lot can change in a few months, so it's possible that your daughter will be ready to sleep in a bed by then. We cruised with our son (who was about 2.5 years old at the time) and he slept in a sofa-turned-bed.

As others have mentioned, they do offer cribs too, so that's another possibility.

Plus...the sofa bed on a cruise ship is much lower/closer to the floor than the standard sofa bed. My 2 year old Grandson slept on the sofa bed with no problem. We put the pillows on the floor, just in case, but he never rolled off.

Archived