Princess clarifies Talkeetna Glacier Landing tour

fireflymd

I had been concerned that I booked an excursion through Princess' website called "Glacier Landing Explorer" that stated it was for those who arrive in Talkeetna by rail. We are travelling to Talkeetna by coach so I called Princess on two different occasions and I was told they would drop us off in Talkeetna on the way to the McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge which is an hour away.

I was told the cruise personalizer would not allow me to book this option if it were not available for my cruisetour.

Well it turns out that it isn't available--I received notice from Princess a few days ago that they have cancelled this tour and rescheduled us for the tour that leaves from and returns to the lodge.

Not a big deal, but it does add on an hour of travel we hadn't planned. Also, I have read many stories where people travel a long time (they are told to come anyway just in case the weather changes) and arrive at the location only to find that the flights are not taking off due to weather.

Just a heads up for anyone else planning this excursion through Princess--hopefully they will fix this mistake in the future.

Overall, I have found in many cases , the buses go direct to the McKinley Princess.

This further confirms, asking and getting information from Princess is unreliable. You are not talking to anyone in Alaska, and most haven't even been there.

This poster does not state their direction, but they choose to stay at the McKinley Princess, which is a very nice property. They did get correct information about flight cancelations, they can have you loaded and still cancel. :) There is little chance of any advance notice. This is how it goes. I've been in the air with "cancelations". So take advantage of this and book your first available slot. Then hang around in Talkeetna, and try to get a later flight. Take the REFUND, then go among the vendors- and see who has space, for a later schedule.

Archived