World Leading Cruise Lines

fas64

Please, someone, correct me if my memory is wrong. But, I recall that someone in the audience asked about this at Carnival Corporation's Annual Meeting this year. Again, if my memory is correct, I recall Mr. Arison saying that this is an issue that the Corporation has been looking into, but has found it impossible at this time to fairly mesh all of the loyalty programs together. Sounded like it was a bookeeping nightmare.

I'm sure they could come up with something, if they wanted to, but they don't. Simple. :)

This causes a lot of complaints on Celebrity. Because people who are highest tier of RCI get highest tier on Celebrity, but there is no equivallent to go the other way, so Elite on Celebrity aren't necessarily highest tier on RCI no matter how many cruises they have on Celebrity.

Personally I think Carnival Corp needs to market their upscale brands better to CCL customers. When I decided it was time to 'move up' (or move laterally?) based on reputation, I didn't consider any of the other Carnival brands- they didn't seem to be 'for me' as marketing survey's always say. I booked Celebrity and NCL. Carnival Corp lost my money.

Carnival could do it with maybe just Princess, or even HAL.

RCL also owns Azamara but they dont match that brand.

It would not have to be all brands they match to .. just the ones closest to each other, most similar.

This is incorrect. Royal does match with Azamara.

From the C&A Benefits page: "Matching Celebrity Cruises® Captain's Club & Azamara Club Cruises® Le Club Voyage tier status"

This is incorrect. Royal does match with Azamara.

From the C&A Benefits page: "Matching Celebrity Cruises® Captain's Club & Azamara Club Cruises® Le Club Voyage tier status"

Well why can't Carnival

Good question. I think a PP has the answer when they said something to the effect of 'Carnival could do it if they wanted to do it.' They just don't care to.

I'd agree. And as much as people complain about it, it doesn't seem to hurt their business to not do it. Carnival competes on price above all else. In my opinion they deliver a good product for the price. If they did a cross-CCL brand loyalty program I suspect people like me would branch out more, but I'd still mainly cruise Carnival because I can afford to do it more often.

I for one agree and wish they would match up everywhere ..... I am taking my ninth cruise on the Dream in July and have a Platinum cruise booked for October ..... Having already reached diamond on RCCL (139 days), i would selfishly have a lot of status. I must confess, I foolishly thought that Carnival did this same as Royal. Thankfully, gaining status is not the reason I cruise so it is just a nice perk.

I will say that Royal does have a couple nice perks for its diamond status. I love the 100.00 discount on balcony rooms and the diamond lounge with free drinks. However they dont do my laundry and my luggage doesnt come and quicker ...

When I go to my TA web site to type in where I want to go and all the other info, I get to check a box for previous cruises and company sailed That is when I see past guess rates. I take that as a perk any day as they are lower...

I couldn't believe when I booked my first Carnival cruise last week that my previous cruises on Princess don't count.

It just doesn't make sense!

I just did the opposite. I am platinum on Carnival , but I just went on a cruise on the Crown Princess so I went back to blue. I tend to understand why they don't match. Essentially, the benefits are not aligned and if they were to take away the laundry from the Carnival platinum guests or take away the free internet from Princess platinum guests there would be a revolt and crys of foul.

Obviously, I would love to them to combine the benefits since I am sitting on 14 total cruises with cruise ships from Carnival Corp and would soon reach Princess Elite status where there are some benefits with real value (such as complementary minibar set up etc.) . At 15 cruises I would also be eligible for Diamond benefits on Cunard which would include 8 hrs of internet time and one complementary dinner at an alternate dining location and a whole list of other benefits. The value of the benefits on both Princess and Cunard will significantly out weigh what I will get at the same point on Carnival and therein lies the dilemma. In order to fairly do it they would have to do something like 2 Carnival = 1 Princess/HAL and 2 Princess/HAL = 1 Cunard as an example.

As for me I discovered that I really like Princess and although I will still cruise on Carnival for shorter 4-5 day cruises, the likelihood is that for anything over 7 days will be on Princess and I am still hoping to do a TA from Hamburg to New York on the QM2 in the next year or so.

I just did the opposite. I am platinum on Carnival , but I just went on a cruise on the Crown Princess so I went back to blue. I tend to understand why they don't match. Essentially, the benefits are not aligned and if they were to take away the laundry from the Carnival platinum guests or take away the free internet from Princess platinum guests there would be a revolt and crys of foul.

Obviously, I would love to them to combine the benefits since I am sitting on 14 total cruises with cruise ships from Carnival Corp and would soon reach Princess Elite status where there are some benefits with real value (such as complementary minibar set up etc.) . At 15 cruises I would also be eligible for Diamond benefits on Cunard which would include 8 hrs of internet time and one complementary dinner at an alternate dining location and a whole list of other benefits. The value of the benefits on both Princess and Cunard will significantly out weigh what I will get at the same point on Carnival and therein lies the dilemma. In order to fairly do it they would have to do something like 2 Carnival = 1 Princess/HAL and 2 Princess/HAL = 1 Cunard as an example.

As for me I discovered that I really like Princess and although I will still cruise on Carnival for shorter 4-5 day cruises, the likelihood is that for anything over 7 days will be on Princess and I am still hoping to do a TA from Hamburg to New York on the QM2 in the next year or so.

They wouldn't have to make the benefits / programs between the lines match. They could do it the way RCCL does it - you reach a certain loyalty level, you get reciprocal level status on the other line, and the perks that come with that level in that program. For instance, people that are Platinum in Carnival's VIFP program would be Platinum on Princess's Captain's Circle and 3-Star Mariner in HAL's Mariner Society, etc. Cruise points are only accumulated within that cruiseline and don't transfer, but while cruising with a 'sister line', you get to enjoy the perks of that line's equivalent tier.

Is that clear as mud? I don't think I'm saying it right, in fact I just confused myself.:o

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the loyalty programs and their perks don't need to be changed to make it work. You would just get automatic membership in each line's equivalent tier, after reaching a certain level.

They wouldn't have to make the benefits / programs between the lines match. They could do it the way RCCL does it - you reach a certain loyalty level, you get reciprocal level status on the other line, and the perks that come with that level in that program. For instance, people that are Platinum in Carnival's VIFP program would be Platinum on Princess's Captain's Circle and 3-Star Mariner in HAL's Mariner Society, etc. Cruise points are only accumulated within that cruiseline and don't transfer, but while cruising with a 'sister line', you get to enjoy the perks of that line's equivalent tier.

Is that clear as mud? I don't think I'm saying it right, in fact I just confused myself.:o

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the loyalty programs and their perks don't need to be changed to make it work. You would just get automatic membership in each line's equivalent tier, after reaching a certain level.

Won't work, it makes too much sense for Carnival Corp.

Archived