newbie-have a couple of questions

Has anyone stayed in cabin 9658? Is being on a lower deck bad? I beleive it is the port side is that bad for scenery? thanks for any help you can give..:)

You'll need to give a ship to let us know what 9658 is.

I personally prefer lower decks, but many people like higher ones.

Most of the scenary is ocean. It's on both sides. :) Whether or not you dock on the port side really depends on which port you are docking in. Sometimes the starboard side has the view of the port, sometimes the port side does. Sometimes you are docked between other ships and no one gets a view.

Jerseymermaid: Folks here will be glad to help, but try to ask the full question with more details.

Has anyone stayed in cabin 9658? Is being on a lower deck bad? I beleive it is the port side is that bad for scenery? thanks for any help you can give..:)

Deck?

Ship?

Inside?

Oceanview?

Front?

Back?

Midships?

Guessing it is not an inside, since you asked about the view.

The lower the deck is fine. For some reason, folks think HIGH decks are better. Not sure why.

:o so sorry, I was so ecited about getting my cabin number that I forgot everything else. So let me try again.

I will be sailing on the Jewel in early/mid August. We are gooing to Alaska, and I have a balcony cabin, my cabin number will be 9658, I was wondering if anyone from this forum has stayed in or near this cabin? My next question is a lower deck bad, it is also on the port side, will I see any scenery going North? Thanks everyone for being so understanding.

Decks 9-11 are all good, as for port vs starboard once you reach the inside passage it makes no difference. So Saturday as you leave Seattle you will have the view of the Olympic Mts in Washington, then open ocean on Sunday and part of Monday until you enter the passage to Ketchikan. Juneau, and Skagway are all part of the inside passage and you will have great views on either side of the ship. When you leave Skagway you will have great views all morning and into the afternoon when the ship breaks for Victoria you will again be in open ocean but this time you will be able to look at the island depending on weather and how close the ship sails to the island.

However for the best views you will want to be up on deck -13 or in the Spinnaker Lounge on 13.

As others have said, deck 9 is just fine. You will have cabins above and below you, which is usually quieter. We've done both port and starboard sides on our two Alaska cruises. I really didn't see a difference. When you get into the super scenic areas of the cruise, you will probably be out and all over the ship anyhow. As previously mentioned, the Spinnaker lounge, deck 13 forward, make for excellent enclosed viewing. Your cabin location is towards the back of the ship. Nothing wrong with that. You will experience less motion there than you would with a cabin forward. Also, you are underneath the Great Outdoors grill up on deck 12. It's a great place to have breakfast, weather permitting. If you want to look at the ship's bridge, go all the way forward on deck 11, port side. The photobucket link has a bunch of starboard side pics of the Jewel while she was docked next to the Pearl a few months ago.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Jewel%20Starbord%20Side?sort=4&http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Jewel Starbord Side?

Thank you Bonvoyagie and Roger001 for the information, is greatly appreciated. Glad to hear deck 9 is an ok deck to be on, also glad near back of ship with less motion. waiting patiently for this, my first cruise also first flight. thanx again....:)

Archived