Alaskan dolls

Sumar76

Looking to get 3 granddaughters, ages 2,4 and 6

dolls from Alaska.

I bought one for myself when I was here 15 years ago in Ketchikan.

I am not looking to spend that kind of money.

Any suggestions? Where to get them?

Looking to spend $30 or under

Not sure by what you mean by "Alaska" dolls. We did get very nice Russian nesting dolls in Sitka where the US took possession of the Alaska territory. If this is something you are interested in the shops have all price points.

Just about any of the souvenir stores will have (politically incorrect now) "Eskimo" dolls for a cheap price. They will more than likely be made in China unless you look for the "Made in Alaska" logo.

I bought my granddaughter one in Skagway at an Alaskan store. Everything in the store was Alaskan made. Unfortunately the price was $39 and that was in 2007, so I'm sure the price will be more now.

She is beautiful in an Alaskan anorak with fur trim. I'm not sure now what tribe she was from, but I felt she was well worth the money.

I'm sure that's the case. The one I have from 15 years ago was over $200. And they see it/ play gently with it each time they come to my house.

So I stupidly asked would you like me to bring one home for you from Alaska?

I'll have to see what I can find. I should have never asked her but right before I left she reminded me .. So now I'll have to reevaluate how much I spend. I really don't want a china one, I'd like to support native Alaskans.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The souvenir dolls are not child-safe. With such young children to consider I would shop very carefully. Watch for parts that may come off easily, dyes on wigs and clothing and even what it appears the doll is made of.

The way I handled this was to shop in my home town for dolls to be given to young children and bought safe items in Alaska to complete the gift. You might want to hatch a plan to suit your own needs.

Archived