Venice Cruise Terminal to Marco Polo Airport

MATHA531

Hi y'all. I have some questions. My cruise is scheduled to end in Venice on Sunday morning 16/06/13 (yes it's on the Sunshine, keeping my fingers crossed). I have read and read and read and am still unsure about some things.

1. The Carnival transfer is not good as I have to be at the airport no later than 0930.

2. All the guide books say to take the people mover from the cruise port to the whatever it is called the Piazza del Rome or whatever and then the bus. But then others guidebooks say the people mover doesn't open till 0800 on Sunday morning and would be really crowded. To me too tight although in theory I would make it. I want to be on the airport bus no later than 0730 or at worst 0800.

3. Oather guidebooks say to walk but of course it means dragging my luggage (yes on wheels) and I'm no spring chicken.

4. Taxi? Well yes but do the taxis run by where the ship is docked (I'm travelling solo) and will they drop me at the Piazza del Roma or whatever it is called without a hassle or will they be looking for transport to the airport?

5. Several guidebooks say the cruise lines run free shuttles to Piazza del Roma. Does Carnival?

Anybody who has experience with this, I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Can you not just take a taxi from the cruise pier to the airport? That's what we did a couple of years ago. Not sure if they have more than 1 port but it was a short cab ride from where the VOS was to the airport.

Can you not just take a taxi from the cruise pier to the airport? That's what we did a couple of years ago. Not sure if they have more than 1 port but it was a short cab ride from where the VOS was to the airport.

As I said, that is something I can do but how do you get the taxi? Do you order it in advance? Are there cabs waiting by each ship (I think several are supposed to be porting in Venice on that Sunday morning?

See the problem is if I have to go to Piazza del Roma anyway, it's just as easy to take the airport buses which run often. I have no problems with taking a taxi (perhaps I can put on a bulletin board on the ship or something asking if anybody would want to share a cab with me; I'll have 8 days on the ship). It's logistics of the thing I'm trying to figure out.

Thanks for the reply.

We cruised from Venice last year, we just took a taxi from the cruise port directly to the airport. There is a taxi rank at the cruise terminal and if the shipped is disembarking then you can be sure there will taxis waiting.

Post on your roll call that you would like to share a ride to the airport.

We did so last year, with and 8 people were able to hire a van from airport-transfers-direct.com for about 9 Euros each.

We started and ended in Venice on HAL last July. Unless you setup a private car, take a taxi. I wouldn't even think about taking the people mover. It is a long walk to the PM and the lines were horrible. Once you get off the PM, it is a zoo.

It's one thing if you are docked there overnight and are using the PM to get back and forth from the ship, it's another when there are thousands of people trying to take it at the same time, with luggage.

Don't even consider a water taxi. Obviously, quite expensive, but the line was two hours long to get one. They are great, but expensive, otherwise.

We did not have a free shuttle anywhere. It was basically a free for all unless we had HAL's transfers to the airport. The taxi line was about 20 minutes long and was right outside where you pickup your suitcases.

If you are worried about making it ontime, I would suggest splurging for a private car.

While I love Venice, it is not a fun place to disembark. Not even close to the experience you would have in, say, Port Everglades.

Actually, heading to the airport or the Mestre train station is easier than getting to places within Venice, due to taxis.

FYI. If anyone is taking a train to other areas of Italy or beyond, take a cab to the Mestre train station. While the St. Lucia station is ony a few minutes as the crow flies from the pier, getting to it is difficult. Once you make it to the Piazzale Roma, you have to haul your luggage over a lot of stairs and a few canals to get to to the station.

When taking a cab to Mestre, it only 15-20 minutes away, and you are dropped at the door. Most of the trains from St. Lucia, make the next stop at Mestre.

We did this on Friday. We used Sun Transfers - they picked us up at the ship and took us directly to the airport. They were very efficient and quite reasonable in price. We had a mini van with 4 people and lots of luggage, and it was a great arrangment.

If we have a 11:50 am flight out of Marco Polo, what time should we request the

Transfer? At what time should we disembark? Thx.

Our flight to JFK was at noon. We took the 9:20am ATVO bus from Piazzale Roma and arrived at the airport by 9:35am. By the time we waited thru the horrnedous lines at the ticket counter and security, we had maybe 15 minutes to spare before boarding the plane.

Sorry to hijack.. but we are on the same Carnival Sunshine cruise which docks overnight in Venice. We have an 7:30 AM flight out of Venice:eek:

What time would people suggest to get to the airport? Will a taxi be available that early or should I make arrangements with a private car?

Thanks in advance.

Archived