LIVE REVIEW - 18th to 26th May - Norway - Independence of the Seas

Friday 17th May 2013 - Travel to Southampton Day

Some background and introduction to the cruise ..............

The main reason we are taking this 8 day cruise (18 May thru 26 May) is to take a friend with us. If we weren't taking our friend we'd be on Navigator of the Seas now doing a back to back cruise for less money than we paid for this. But . . . . . If you read on you'll appreciate why I'm pleased we're doing this with our friend.

Our friend and her sister cared for their mother and father all their lives and were brought up to believe that they needed no one else in their lives apart from close family. As a result neither our friend or her sister have had boyfriends, married nor had children or much life experience. (This makes me really sad).

Last year our friend aged 58 and her sister aged 53 planned a 10 night P & O cruise to the Canary Islands in mid September 2012. This would have been their first EVER vacation in their whole lives. They have never left the local areas they have lived in for over 50 years !!! (Kinda shocking, I know!)

Unfortunately in August 2012 the younger sister became ill with cancer and died within 6 weeks leaving a distraught older sister with no parents or family and just us as friends.

She is a strange character and hardly gets on with anyone - she 'tolerates' people - but loves dogs (and now us!)

As she has been so tearful, distraught and down since her sister passed away we decided she needed something to look forward to as this would help us to support her physically and emotionally. We therefore chatted about a vacation and surprisingly she suggested a cruise. For some reason she only wanted to do a Norway cruise and although this wouldn't have been our first choice, we felt there would be a lot of benefit for her if we did this. Hopefully we could push along her healing in a supportive, encouraging way by using this as a tool.

So to keep a long story long (sorry). . . . . . This is how we came to book this trip to Norway for 8 nights on Independence of the Sea.

We booked with RCCL UK using a next cruise booking and received $100 OBC per cabin. The guy we booked with also made a mistake and promised us a further $100 OBC per cabin under a current promotion they were running. Although these weren't combinable, because RCCL made the mistake they honoured this.

We paid £1295 ($1942) for 2 of us staying in an inside stateroom and our friend paid £1205 ($1807) for her inside cabin - including single supplement. Both prices include pre paid gratuities.

Just after we booked there was a slight price drop and on calling RCCL UK we found out price drops aren't honoured in the UK (we usually book with US travel agents). After some sweet talking and telephone flirting (ha ha ha) I ended up getting us upgraded to oceanview staterooms at no extra cost.

Roll forward now, to today, the 17th May. Our 3 Bernese Mountain Dogs were picked up at 8.30am. We will miss them :-(

We set off at 12pm giving ourselves 3 hours to cover a 2 hour journey to Manchester Airport in case of anything unexpected. It's a good job we did this as half way there on the M62 motorway we came to a standstill. We were travelling Westbound and there had been a big accident Eastbound. The police shut our Westbound carriageway totally as the Air Ambulance had to land on our Westbound side.

We were at a standstill for 3 hours meaning we would miss our flight to Southampton.

We arrived at Manchester Airport 6 minutes too late to check in. We are flying with FlyBe return from Manchester to Southampton (£105/$157 per person inc' luggage and seat reservations). This missed flight was at 5pm and luckily there was a later flight at 8.35pm to transfer onto. FlyBe wanted £40/$60 per person for us to transfer. After some grovelling the person at the airport let us off with the charge and transferred us free. Hooray !!

The flight was 40 minutes long and we landed into Southampton at 9.30pm. By 10pm we were at the Premier Inn checking in. The cab ride was 15 minutes and cost £17/$25. The Premier Inn (£56/$84 per room inc' cooked breakfast) was at West Quay in the City Centre. You could see the port and ships from our window.

The hotel is in a great position as its a 5 minute walk to a large shopping centre and just 2 minutes onto a high street with an extensive range of shops and market stalls. You will have no trouble buying anything you've forgotten or your 2 bottles of wine to carry onboard.

More tommorrow . . . . . Embarkation day ! Hooray (I'm so excited)

Saturday 18th May 2013 - Embarkation Day

We had a lovely breakfast in the Premier Inn this morning and had a walk to the shopping centre nearby to buy some toiletries. The sky was blue and the sun shining. It really was a beautiful English spring day.

As we were preparing to leave the hotel the 2 people I'm travelling with laughed at me as I'm a bit anal and have to print our the RCCL luggage labels in colour and laminate them. I also bring a little roll of tape with me to secure them onto the luggage.

We had booked a taxi to the ship for 10.30am. This cost £4/$6 and took around 7 minutes.

Based on a previous experience we had at Southampton checking in around the same time we expected the terminal to be very busy. Luckily it wasn't and within 15 minutes from getting out of the taxi we were on the ship. I absolutely love the Freedom Class ships. We've done 5 cruises now on Indy and she is still amazing (Freedom is my all time favourite).

From 11am until 12.30pm we wandered around the ship showing our friend how great it is. She was in awe of it all. There don't seem to be many changes after dry dock but I'm sure many carpets and fixtures/fittings were changed. The most prominent changes are the outside large screen, Portofinos becoming Giovanni's, the new interactive electronic boards (which I love) and the barbers being changed into a Cupcake store.

At 12.30pm we ate lunch in the Windjammer. It was SO SO busy and you had to just stand and wait a while for a table. The staff were lovely and the food was great. I got my fix of still lemonade - lol.

At 1pm the staterooms were ready so we went to deck 2 (it felt like we were going into the bowels of the earth). We've previously done inside, balcony and JS but never Oceanview. We were all pleasantly surprised. The staterooms were very nice and roomy. The porthole was very large and it was really enjoyable just laying on the bed and watching the sea go by - which was not far away ! !

As we had such a long day yesterday and didn't sleep too well in the Premier Inn we decided to have a power nap. This was a good choice as we all felt refreshed and energised again.

3.45pm was Muster and we were outside on deck 4 - D28. Why do people turn up a minute before the end? They should be flogged and made to walk the plank. Lol.

Our friend who is with us cruising for the first time enjoys being pampered and spa treatments so we wandered up to the spa with her at 5pm. We had a spa tour and the hard sell and entered the prize draw. Hooray !!!!!! We won $125 towards a spa treatment.

All our luggage had arrived by the time we went back down to our staterooms. After quickly unpacking and sending 3 large bags of clothes to be pressed we went to dinner at 6.30pm

I had booked tonight's 'My Time Dining' table for 6.30pm in advance using the my cruises section of Royal Caribbean's website. We were seated promptly and had very good waiting staff. My buddy had escargots, salmon and blueberry crumble. I had a fruit plate, vegetable curry, beef prime rib and BBB creme brûlée. Our friend had fruit plate, grilled pork and a great chocolate dessert that I can't remember the name of.

The only issue with dinner was that we wanted to purchase a 12 bottle wine package (of which there aren't very many choices on the 'new' wine list). We ended up choosing 3 wines one after the other as the previous one was out of stock. After the 3rd choice we gave it up as a bad job and just drank water ! Not great planning or service from Royal !!!

At 7.45pm we went to the 'Welcome Aboard' show. We don't usually go to this as from previous experience it isn't very good. However we decided to do it with it being our friends first cruise. The main act was 'Steve Womack' a comedian singer from Yorkshire in the UK. We were pleasantly surprised how enjoyable he was. He was a stereotypical Northern UK comedian who won't be every bodies taste and I think if you were from outside the UK, you would have not understood a lot of his humour.

We also wondered what the six production singers would be like as when we did the Indy transatlantic in November last year they were like a choir of wailing cats. The 6 singers on Indy now are fantastic. All had very strong voices, all were in tune and all harmonised with each other really well. Roll on the production shows . . . . . . . . .

At 9pm our friend went to bed, we had a quick drink at the Cafe Promenade then retired ourselves.

More tomorrow on day 2 - at sea :-)

Thank you so much for posting this live cruise report , I am following with great interest , not only because of the amazing detail you have gone into but I also have some very good friends who are on this cruise , makes me feel like I am with them :D

What a caring person you are to give your friend these wonderful memories after such a hard time , I am sure she will treasure them , so heart warming to know there are such caring people around , I know this was not the cruise of your choice but I sincerely hope it will turn out to be one of your best ones .

Looking forward to the next installment and once again thank you so much for taking the time to allow us on your cruise , I know the hard work and time that must go into it .many thanks .

Linda x

Right - lets trying answering some questions you asked . . . . .

- BearsAhoy - there are no Royal Connect Phones on board, nor any similar system. There are just the standard stateroom phones and 'house phones' dotted around the ship in various places.

- h18furball - I asked about your balcony dividers and I was given 3 different answers (yes, no and maybe) because of how the hump is built. I will try to find out more information for you.

Sorry but for the following questions I didn't write down people's screen names and I don't want to go online and spend a while just searching through my previous thread.

- Giovanni's menu. I have one of these and will post it when I get back home after 26th May.

- Indy Wi-Fi speed - guest services called someone in the I.T. Department who said it usually runs at 300-400KB per second. I'm not very Internet savvy but based on me using it now while away its still mighty slow even after being upgraded in dry dock.

- Large screen volume - this doesn't seem too loud but we haven't really had any deck days as its too cold.

- Gift shop (logo's and souvenirs) - they said they may be getting in a limited line of RCCL logo Christmas ornaments but its still in planning at the moment. She couldn't be more specific - sorry !

- Embarkation before noon - as I said in my embarkation day post it was really quiet at 10.30am when we got to the port. I did ask about this more at the port and she said 11.30am onwards usually gets very busy for most cruises and then quietens down after 1.30pm.

- Royal Nursery - I'll try to find out about

- Diamond concierge - 24th August. I'll try and find this out.

Any more questions ????????

Right - lets trying answering some questions you asked . . . . .

- Indy Wi-Fi speed - guest services called someone in the I.T. Department who said it usually runs at 300-400KB per second. I'm not very Internet savvy but based on me using it now while away its still mighty slow even after being upgraded in dry dock.

Thank you for my question....pity about the speed, that is tragically slow and not worth the money. Pity the upgrade had little effect on the wifi speed. Cheers.

Hi

I'll be following along as I also have very good friends onboard - Clive and Steph (Nearlytheir) and Berni and her mum Ann (Woodlands)

If you see them at the Meet and Mingle please tell them Carol said hi!! :)

Here`s one for you, next time you are on the Royal Promenade when it is busy, can you stand outside stateroom 6604 and tell me if there is much in the way of noise from the Royal Promenade. I believe 6604 is near a corridor exit, so no distance to walk from the RP. Thanks ticktoneer. ;)

What wonderful friends you are, to be giving up the sailing of your choice for a friend in need. I truly hope your friend comes away from the cruise with a new outlook on life. Sometimes all it takes is a change in perspective and some new acquaintances to jumpstart bigger changes.

I will be following along closely. This is an itinerary we have been eyeballing for some time. Would love to hear about the excursions and how easy they are walkable.

Many thanks for sharing your story.

Day 2 - Sunday 19th May 2013 - At Sea

When we cruise, my buddy and I are so lazy (as you might have picked up if you read my recent Liberty transatlantic review in April 2013).

Our friend who we've brought away is an early bird. Aaaaagggghhhhh !!! When we cruise we rarely get to breakfast however she said she'd like to do the MDR every morning and suggested 7.30am. Ha ha ha !! I'm so pleased it doesn't open until 8am.

I've kept it from her that the Windjammer opens at 7am and have told her solo travellers don't get given cruise compasses ! . . . . . . (Only joking)

So . . . . Wanting to make sure this is the most enjoyable, healing experience it can be for her we are getting up every morning and going to breakfast in the MDR at 8am.

If I get bags under my eyes and more wrinkles through sheer exhaustion and lack of beuty sleep (of which i need hours and hours) I won't be happy. Lol.

Before I get started on the day I have more views on our oceanview stateroom. My comments from yesterday about it being more than adequate and lovely just laying watching the sea through the large porthole still stand, however . . . . . When I pick or am given a stateroom location I always think what is above and to the sides. I rarely think about below. This was a mistake I think, on this cruise. We were originally booked into inside cabins on deck 6 and were 'upgraded' free to oceanview cabins on deck 2. It didn't occur to me that deck 1 with the aptly nicknamed 'I-95' for crew to come and go and move things around the ship would be under us !!! All night there was banging, clattering and loud vibrations. Then some sort of loud outlet vent would start up. Suffice to say the foam earplugs had to come out and these still didn't help very much. Guest services said most of the noise around midnight and after was the incinerators being loaded and used, and that this happens at this time every night !!!! Aaaagggghhhhh !

I'll have to chew this information over, see what tonight brings and decide what (if anything) to do next.

OK, onto the days review (at last - sorry) . . . . Oh no I've just remembered i want to tell you who the main officers on board are so you'll have to wait a bit longer for the days review-:

- Master of the Vessel - Captain Arnolf F. Remø

- Nibu Sayed - Hotel Director

- Rob McNally - Cruise Director

- Johnny Hansen - Chief Engineer

- Ron Kane - Food & Beverage Director

- Emma Laycock - Loyalty & Cruise Sales Manager

Now onto the days review (I promise) . . . . . . . We actually got up and went out at 7.30am to the Diamond Lounge to pick up some ice show tickets. We then went to breakfast in the MDR on deck 3 at 8am and it was 'OK'. It was only 'OK' as it was a buffet service with no waiter service. I was really disappointed that the regular silver service breakfast had stopped. I asked the waiter about it and he informed me that the type of service I wanted was actually on deck 4.

How stupid did I feel - lol ?!?!?!?! How many times have I sailed RCCL on Freedom ships and should know better !! Tommorrow morning - REMEMBER deck 4 !!!!

After breakfast we had a walk around the running track. The weather was very cold and damp with a sea fret. I hope Mr Sun comes out to show his face later :-). The sea is like a millpond - it is really calm and you can't tell we're moving at all.

We had a P & O ship following us (sailing parallel with us) all day. It looked like Ventura but I'm not sure.

While I finalised my first 2 days reviews and started to write this one, my buddy and our friend went to 'The Labyrinth' nightclub at 10am for a line dance class.

The captain did his very lengthy annoncement at 12pm. Captain Remø apparently is known for this and for them being monotonous and monotone (its my review don't flame me !!!! Lol). I didn't catch much of it as I was busy but I do know we're travelling 22.5knots, its 9 degrees Celsius (48 farenheit) and we have thick fog today with rain.

We ate lunch in the MDR at Brasserie 30. Lunch was very enjoyable. I had split pea soup, chicken sliders and banana caramel Mille feuille. My buddy had asparagus soup, tutti frutti salad and banana caramel mille feuille, with our friend having split pea soup, pasta with tomato sauce and a chocolate dessert. The walnut sliced bread was scrumptious.

At 2pm it was time for both of them to go for a hot stones massage. While they did this I went and joined in the British slogans quiz which was good fun. I scored 17 out of 25 on my own and the winning score was 19 out of 25. I would have won the revered prize to treasure of a RCCL keyring with 2 more correct answers !!!

My buddy and our friend returned from the Spa and said the treatment was well worth the money as a treat but it was expensive at $129 + 15% gratuity for a 50 minute massage. Both their masseurs also tried to sell them $300 of products telling my buddy that if he used them every week his bad back would be cured !!!!

This is a bad back caused by a long term diagnosed physical chronic ailment . . . . . mmmmmmmmmm. . . . . . . . (needless to say he didn't buy any)

4pm my buddy and our friend went to a Pilates class ($12). This was carried out in the 'studio area' at the side of the fitness centre.

At 5.30pm we put on our posh togs for the formal evening and went for a few drinks in the Diamond lounge. We love to dress up in our tux's. With this being our friends first cruise we left her to get dressed for dinner as she wasn't able to use the Diamond lounge with us.

Dinner was at 6.15pm on deck 5 - My Time Dining in the MDR. I had chicken consommé, beef fillet (with a side of potato curry) with bittersweet chocolate soufflé and espresso sauce. My buddy and our friend had Caesar salad, roast duck and strawberry cheesecake. Again all the food was excellent.

7.30pm was time to drink as much free 'champagne' (if you call it that) before the Captain addressed the ship from the promenade bridge . . . . . . However the cruise director Rob appeared instead of the Captain. Due to the thick fog and for the safety of the ship he had to stay at the bridge in command. We were introduced to all the other key officers as usual.

9.00pm was production showtime 'Invitation To Dance'. I know many people don't like this show but I LOVE IT !!!!! The 4 great singers, the ballroom dancers and regular dancers cast were very very good. I'm so pleased it wasn't the mediocre (at best) cast from last November.

Our friend went to bed at 10pm and we both decided to go to 'The Labyrinth' nightclub just for half an hour. . . . . . . . . 3hr 40 mins later at 1.40am we went to bed. Ha ha ha !!!

To give you a flavour of the activities, some activities planned for this sea day were:-

- daily trivia

- yoga

- line dance class

- port and destination talk

- solo travellers lunch

- baggo

- art auction

- British slogans quiz

- Production Showtime : Invitation to Dance

- memory game

- meditation class

More tommorrow on day 3 in Flam.