LIVE REVIEW - 18th to 26th May - Norway - Independence of the Seas

Thanks for the review - its really interesting and great fun to read. Just a quick question (sorry!), we have 2 balcony cabins with interconnecting rooms in July (cabins 8380 and 8382). Do you happen to know or can you find out if a) the door between cabins can be kept open and b) the balcony dividers can be opened? I have had mixed messages when I have asked in other places. Thank you so much.

Apparently your dividers can be opened but I'm not sure about the doors, but I would have thought so :-)

I don't really know what to say apart from you feel much free-er in a Balcony cabin due to the option to open the doors and be 'outdoors' or let fresh air in.

After my experience of my oceanview I would never do another. It was very small.

:-)

Thank you for that, I hope you enjoyed your holiday & that your friend is feeling better &enjoyed her first cruise too.

My 5 yr old was up at 5.15 telling me the countdown was zero!!! Looks like we will be setting off for Southampton by 8 at this rate!! More time time on the ship !

Thanks again for such a fab review

Day 3 - Monday 20th May 2013 - Flam, Norway - Arrival 1pm

We got up at 7.15am to find that our friend had only had around 1 hours sleep despite being in bed for 9 hours. All night she had a beeping come from her TV, a rattling in her A/C and a slow dull tapping in the cavity of her wall. It would have driven me mad for 9 hours !!

We also had annoying noises, but not as bad.

She said she didn't know who to contact and didn't want to wake us up in the night. So, before breakfast we spent 45 minutes at guest services to be told we must be exaggerating the noise !!! I don't know about you all reading this but that sort of disrespectful loaded comment changes me from a gentle, calm guest into a respectful but blunt and direct guest. Needless to say the guest services officer was following me to the room after 2 minutes to listen for herself.

Cast your mind back to the noise problems in our rooms from last night . . . . . .

We visited guest services at 6pm for an update regarding them moving us into different staterooms. They were extremely helpful and did say deck 2 staterooms can be noisy from the crew and I95 and also because the lower decks contract and move a lot. They showed us 2 balcony cabins - an E1 on deck 8 and a D1 on deck 6. These were great and they gave us a complimentary upgrade into these.

I was REALLY IMPRESSED by this customer service. They were attentive and treated us with respect, empathy and genuineness. Thanks Royal !!!!!

Interesting re the noise problems! After similar tapping noises to those you describe in our PR cabin on the recent TA, combined with a muffled ringing sound caused me a sleepless night, maintenance tried to sort it, but couldn't so after a second sleepless night we visited the CS desk.

Very reluctantly they offered us another room - an ordinary inside at the rear which itself had vibration issues. Trouble was their seapass machines were ALL broken so they couldn't print a card, so we waited, and it took ME to suggest the blindingly obvious answer of they ring the room steward who uses their key to let us in!!

Eventually we got offered another PR which proved to be okay, and duly moved with assistance.

This and other poorly handled CS matters resulted in us being given 20% of cruise cost back in the form of future cruise certificates, and because we had another cruise booked on Indie which my wife simply will never sail on again, they allowed us to move our deposits from that to another sailing which does not normally happen in the UK.

Two things from this; the first is that there do seem to be noise issues on this ship over and above the normal ones from lobby, areas above or below etc. The second is that from my experiences and your own, several of the CS staff have a very poor attitude in which the customer is always wrong.

I should add that we had nothing but praise for the housekeeping and bar/dining staff we encountered. Shame the CS experience spoilt it all.

Breakfast was good every morning in either MDR venue and we didn't find any wi-fi venues in the ports.

Hope that helps. :-)

Hi all

I was also on this cruise. First night of "back to reality" :(. Anyway, we did manage to find a couple of free wifi spots in the ports - at Skjolden there was a free wifi access point at the dock. I used it on the dockside and it was strong enough to reach to our cabin (Deck 7, starboard side forward) so I was able to use it on the balcony when back on board.

At Stavanger, there was a burger king within a 2 min walk from the ship where there was wifi available. I didn't use it so can't tell you how good it was (or not), but there was plenty of crew sat with ipads etc.

HTH

Berni

Day 8 - Saturday 24th May 2013 - At Sea

The weather today is beautiful again and the sea is very calm.

I got up and met our friend at 9.25am outside Studio B for the Diamond entertainment tour. We were met by a production manager and the ice captain. First we were told about the venue types in Studio B.

- as a show venue

- as a multi use venue with the ice covered (it takes them 3-4 hours to put the covers on the ice)

- as the all skate venue - the bank of seats in front of the sound/lighting box is retractable on hydraulics and they turn this space into the area where the 'hire' skates and benches are

One thing that surprised me is that there is a dark mark in the middle of the ice rink. This is coins frozen into the ice from the countries the cast and production staff come from. These are for luck and the dark mark in the exact centre for skaters to use as a marker.

We were shown backstage and also into costumes/dressing room. The tour lasted 70 minutes and was really interesting.

We ate in the MDR at 12pm on deck 3. The menu was very nice. I had chicken curry and cheesecake, my buddy had chicken tandoori and tutti salad, while our friend had fish and chips.

We were all really tired from the past few days so we decided to do nothing in the afternoon and just relax. We all went to bed and slept for a few hours.

At 4.30pm me and my buddy got up and packed our suitcases (aaagggghh I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms).

At 5.30pm we went to the Diamond Lounge until 6.45pm. I wobbled down to dinner after 5 vodka & cranberry. I literally drink no alcohol at home, but love vodka cranberry on the ship.

Our last dinner was good. Our servers Noriel & Edgar in MTD were amazing. I had French onion soup, roast turkey and raspberry pavlova. My buddy and our friend had French onion soup, roasted lamb shank and ??? pear ??? something !!!!

At 9pm we saw the farewell show with headliner Diane Cousins. She was a comedian / singer. Her comedy and interaction with the orchestra and audience was ever so funny, but her singing left a lot to be desired which was a shame. I hoped she'd be like my favourite singer Jane McDonald (yes I know I'm sad !!!)

I love the end of the farewell show where the singers sing the farewell show and a myriad of cast and the Captain come on stage.

10pm-11pm we sat in Vintages people watching with a bottle of rosé Beringer wine. This finished the evening off very nicely.

I know you're supposed to have your luggage out for 11pm, but after we were ready for bed and packed our last 'bits' we put them out into the corridor just before 12.

Good night !!!!!

More tomorrow - Day 9 - disembarkation & final reflections

Day 9 - Disembarkation Day

We were number 48 with an estimated departure time of 9.15am. Our flight from Southampton to Manchester left at 12.25pm, so there was plenty of time to make this.

At 8am we all met on deck 3 in the MDR for breakfast. Then from 8.45am until 9.15am we sat in the Champagne bar. Our designated departure venue was the Alhambra Theatre but we didn't was the craziness of this.

When our number was called (over the tannoy even though they say they don't do this) we left the beautiful Independence of the Seas at 9.15am. By 9.30am we had retrieved our luggage, cleared customs and were at the taxi rank. Disembarkation was so smooth and speedy.

Reflections & Thoughts

This is the best cruise we have taken on IOS. The service throughout was excellent along with a very positive fun atmosphere. We REALLY enjoyed it.

The next time we'll be on Indy will be the transatlantic crossing in May 2014 I think.

HAPPY CRUISING EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!

Hi all

I was also on this cruise. First night of "back to reality" :(. Anyway, we did manage to find a couple of free wifi spots in the ports - at Skjolden there was a free wifi access point at the dock. I used it on the dockside and it was strong enough to reach to our cabin (Deck 7, starboard side forward) so I was able to use it on the balcony when back on board.

At Stavanger, there was a burger king within a 2 min walk from the ship where there was wifi available. I didn't use it so can't tell you how good it was (or not), but there was plenty of crew sat with ipads etc.

HTH

Berni

Thanks Berni

Great Tips!

5.00pm was time for the Diamond Lounge to enjoy more vodka cranberry and my buddy had gin and tonic (they have bitter Gordon's gin, not Tanquerry on UK sailings).

Hope they get Tanqueray back by the time we go at end of August, we had it last June out of Southampton, it's def. my favouite

5.00pm was time for the Diamond Lounge to enjoy more vodka cranberry and my buddy had gin and tonic (they have bitter Gordon's gin, not Tanquerry on UK sailings).

Hope they get Tanqueray back by the time we go at end of August, we had it last June out of Southampton, it's def. my favouite

I hope they have it for you. However they said they have Gordon's gin instead of Tanqueray and Tetley tea bags instead of Twinings on UK sailings due to massive numbers of complaints if they have others

Have a great cruise :-)

Here`s one for you, next time you are on the Royal Promenade when it is busy, can you stand outside stateroom 6604 and tell me if there is much in the way of noise from the Royal Promenade. I believe 6604 is near a corridor exit, so no distance to walk from the RP. Thanks ticktoneer. ;)

Hi,

We had stateroom 6609 overlooking the RP and apart from the Parades (There were 3) couldn't hear any noise from the Royal Promenade. Hope this helps.

John and Helen:):)

My husband and I have been on Indy three times, twice out of Ft. Lauderdale and once out of Southampton. All three cruises were wonderful with an attentive staff and lovely itineraries. Would sail on this ship again...hopefully soon!

Hope you do soon :-)

These review threads are often a great help to others who plan to go on the same ship for future cruises.

Thanks for sharing great information and insights.

We're looking forward to our next cruise - on IOS in March 2014.

Happy Cruising !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You for the wonderful review, I just booked this cruise for next year, it will be my first time to UK as well as Norway, I can not wait!! Your review was very helpful, you answered so many questions I was having! So very nice of you to help your friend as you did.:)

• 4 months later...

Archived