Cheers and our costs and comparison!

Scorchy725

I'm not the moral police, if you want to cheat the system that's your business, but don't for one second think you are actually in the right. You are breaching the programs rules plain and simple. Tell yourself whatever you want to justify it I don't really care.

Not the moral police?? You certainly have a strange way of conveying as much. And I don't need to tell myself anything for justification. On that particular day, I used a total of 8 drinks on the Cheers package between what I consumed, and yes, gave away. Whether or not you approve of that, cool beans. Carnival still made money, and we had a great time. End of discussion on my part. ;)

Tony

I paid for them, thank you very much.

Tony

No you didn't. You aren't paying for 15 drinks- if you were, they'd give you a punch card and let you give them to whomever you want. You are paying for the opportunity to have up to 15 drinks for yourself.

I purchased the Cheers program on my 05/05 Breeze cruise. Not once did I reach the 15 drink limit- usually 10-11 max. I did the Key West pub crawl excursion through the ship on day 2. Started at 11 a.m., and had a fantastic time in addition to enjoying all the adult beverages found throughout Key West.

That same day, I had my first drink on the Cheers package right before dinner, and another drink in the Piano Bar afterwards. Two drinks total. You bet I gave a few drinks away to friends I met on board!(4-5) I paid for 15 max, and utilized only 2 for myself. I could give a rat's behind if Carnival missed out on the additional revenue on those "give away" drinks- I paid for them, thank you very much.

Tony

The cruiselines are betting on people slowing down on their drinking as the cruise goes on. The package is not giving you 15 drinks to drink or give away per day. The package is giving YOU up to 15 drinks for YOU to consume everyday. They are living up to their end of the bargain but you are not.

If you don't understand the concept and don't believe that you ARE cheating just ask the next time that you want to sign up for the program.

15 drinks for $50 on a cruiseship come on be real! You know that they are not selling 105 drinks for $350 for you to share with other cruisers making it unnecessary for them to purchase drinks themselves. That's not in their best interest and you know it. They can make $350 by selling less than 50 drinks. They are counting on most people drinking far less than 15 drinks per day or 105 drinks per week. They are counting on days like your 2 drink day because that is what their research has showed them. Reading cruisecritic now also gives them insight into how this program is being received, used and in your case abused.

No you didn't. You aren't paying for 15 drinks- if you were, they'd give you a punch card and let you give them to whomever you want. You are paying for the opportunity to have up to 15 drinks for yourself.

Precisely. The cap is what is confusing them, they think since there is a firm number that must mean they paid for that many. So if it were unlimited would they just continually share with everyone? Of course not, but put a number on it...well now I am owed X amount of drinks.

Typical entitled attitude.

This is interesting for those who say they are not drunk when they have 15 drink in 24hrs. Seems like most people stopped for DUI's say the same, "but I'm not drunk."

http://bloodalcoholcalculator.org/

In my state Colorado a 150lb female drinking 5 Bloody Marys, 7 Cranberry & Vodka and 3 glasses of wine in a 24 hours period have a blood alcohol of .097% which is legally impaired.

This is interesting for those who say they are not drunk when they have 15 drink in 24hrs. Seems like most people stopped for DUI's say the same, "but I'm not drunk."

In my state Colorado a 150lb female drinking 5 Bloody Marys, 7 Cranberry & Vodka and 3 glasses of wine in a 24 hours period have a blood alcohol of .097% which is legally impaired.

good job they aren't gonna let me drive the boat then!!!

I don't feel guilty about anything had a great cruise and was hoping to help some people out and yes you are fishing for an argument or to dream up an accusation. You wouldn't have responded if you weren't looking for a response!

:confused::confused::confused:

You need to loosen up. That posters comment had NOTHING to do with you. He just made a statement.

Are you new to message boards??? :confused:

It is going to depend on the size and sex of the person and of course what they drink. I ran the same numbers for my myself, (male and I haven't seen 150 since the 80's) and my BAC was 0.0.

If I switched it to 15 L.I. Teas, I would be hammered, depending on how much I alcohol I didn't lose from my system while worshiping the porcelain god.

In addition to sex/weight, you also need to consider food intake as well. Most people eat a good amount on their cruises, which affects the BAC as well.

It is going to depend on the size and sex of the person and of course what they drink. I ran the same numbers for my myself, (male and I haven't seen 150 since the 80's) and my BAC was 0.0.

If I switched it to 15 L.I. Teas, I would be hammered, depending on how much I alcohol I didn't lose from my system while worshiping the porcelain god.

That's why the 15 drink limit is not a good mark. Carnival has done the math like other posters said especially to Carnival's favor for longer cruises. If the guy drinks 15 and the woman 10 at the beginning of the cruise after 7 days they are probably drinking less. I can see on 3 or 4 day cruises drinking more per day. Trust me they have probably done the math factoring length of cruise, days at sea, availability of cheap booze in port.

This is interesting for those who say they are not drunk when they have 15 drink in 24hrs.

Most people don't realize it, but studies show that people can become impaired after a single drink. It isn't highly impaired, but still...

I think when people say they weren't drunk they mean they weren't acting like disruptive fools. Carnival is fine with passengers being drunk. It is sloppy drunk that is a problem.

Most people don't realize it, but studies show that people can become impaired after a single drink. It isn't highly impaired, but still...

I think when people say they weren't drunk they mean they weren't acting like disruptive fools. Carnival is fine with passengers being drunk. It is sloppy drunk that is a problem.

People ..not just some will be impaired after one drink everyone will be lol

:confused:

YOU are entitled 15 drinks for the money you pay into the program. Past that every drink you give to someone not in the cheers program equates to $8-$10 loss of a sale since instead of walking up and buying a drink they are getting it from you.

Seriously people, it is almost scary that it is that hard to understand this. When they price the program they do so with the understanding that some will max it out while others won't....but with sharing you can see how most would certainly max the program out.

Your assuming that the person would buy the drink if it were not given to them by someone who had cheers. I can assure you, if it were me that the cheers customer gave a drink to, carnival would not loose a dime because I am not paying their drink prices!

Order from bon voyage, maybe, paying their bar prices, no way! I ordered a Muai Thai and a margarita on the Fascination a few months back and after tip they were over $20! I aint doing that again!

As far as the buffet plates comparison, that is not a good example because the buffet is truly unlimited where as cheers is not.

I do however think giving away your drinks is not what carnival had in mind and I can see where that some people think that is dishonest!

I do however think giving away your drinks is not what carnival had in mind and I can see where that some people think that is dishonest!

It's clearly not what Carnival had in mind since it says so right in the rules of Cheers. Right from Carnival:

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?faq=beverage

The following restrictions apply:

• Only one drink at a time may be ordered. No sharing is permitted.

Beverages excluded from the program are:

Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets.

Curious...anyone know what the statistics is on how many people buy into the cheers program and how many pay as they drink?

Im guessing it like one of those things

Some choose to buy drinks from the bar as they choose ($1000 bar bill ohh crap)

Some smuggle (some gets caught some not) ;)

Some get ripped off alittle and pay $65 for a bottle of absolut from Bon Voyage

I would never buy the cheers program (unless I /We drank only beer)

Disclaimer: I am a bartender :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were just on the Victory and my wife and I decided to try the Cheers program. We figured that we'd either get our money's worth or at least know exactly what we were spending on booze. When we boarded the ship, we went straight to the Atrium Bar and signed up....got a bill for roughly $574 and boom...our 5 day cruise no longer had any bar expenses. Most days we made out well and some we only had 4-5 drinks, which pretty much breaks even. Overall, we'd def do it again. It was nice to sign a receipt from the bartender that had the drink amount and then said "Discounted 100% Cheers". I went to the sign & sail kiosk the first night and put $600 in. After that, we only spent a couple hundred bucks and that was mostly shopping for flip flops and stuff. For me it wasn't about "getting your money worth" it was knowing exactly what we were spending, being able to walk away from a drink when I didn't want to finish it and trying new stuff that I typically wouldn't buy if I was counting my pennies....

Why all the hate on the drinkers? Why do people care how much they drink. I average a drink to two a day on vacation. Wife zero. Cheers is not for us. But I am glad people have an option that allows them to enjoy their vacation and save a few bucks, all the while the cruise line getting a better taste in profits.

That said, If I had 15 drinks a day, I would of gained a ton. As it is I gained 7lbs in 7 days. At just 100 calories a drink times 15 would be 75% of my total caloric intake on a normal day. God I hate a slow metabolism.:o

Cheers wouldn't work for us either. Dh might have one or two drinks a day. I average 5 or 6.

It would be useless for him, so I would drink too much to try and get our money's worth :D.

And the weight gain.... ouch!

But if it works for you, I don't fall out with you unless you fall off your bar stool. :D:eek:

There's no question the program will work for some better than others. I don't really drink at all when we aren't cruising or on vacation. For us it worked. The soda program is unique too. Instead of just filling up your glass, they actually give you the entire can. People on the soda card just got their cup filled....

We were just on the Victory and my wife and I decided to try the Cheers program. We figured that we'd either get our money's worth or at least know exactly what we were spending on booze. When we boarded the ship, we went straight to the Atrium Bar and signed up....got a bill for roughly $574 and boom...our 5 day cruise no longer had any bar expenses. Most days we made out well and some we only had 4-5 drinks, which pretty much breaks even. Overall, we'd def do it again. It was nice to sign a receipt from the bartender that had the drink amount and then said "Discounted 100% Cheers". I went to the sign & sail kiosk the first night and put $600 in. After that, we only spent a couple hundred bucks and that was mostly shopping for flip flops and stuff. For me it wasn't about "getting your money worth" it was knowing exactly what we were spending, being able to walk away from a drink when I didn't want to finish it and trying new stuff that I typically wouldn't buy if I was counting my pennies....

Exactly - even if the price is higher, the ease of knowing our bar bill ahead of time is worth it

There's no question the program will work for some better than others. I don't really drink at all when we aren't cruising or on vacation. For us it worked. The soda program is unique too. Instead of just filling up your glass, they actually give you the entire can. People on the soda card just got their cup filled....

Most people don't need the entire can or if you ask the bartender they will use pretty much the whole can in ones sports bottle

unless its not open I wouldn't like to lug around a can of soda

Exactly - even if the price is higher, the ease of knowing our bar bill ahead of time is worth it

$575 or more !!!

One can know their bar tab as long as they pay attention

Its really easy to buy from BV and cut your bar tab likely in half

2 liters of rum/vodka for $130

Archived