Splendor - Itinerary with 4 & 9yo kids?

As a New Yorker, I'm thrilled that Splendor is sailing from NYC.

We live ~10 minutes from the pier. Taxi to the west side and we're outa here....

But as a dad of 2 school aged kids (4 & 9) I'm not crazy about the itinerary.

For example:

Wed Aug 21 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Thu Aug 22 At Sea

Fri Aug 23 At Sea

Sat Aug 24 San Juan, Puerto Rico 3:00pm 11:59pm

Sun Aug 25 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00am 4:00pm

Mon Aug 26 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 1:00pm 7:00pm

Tue Aug 27 At Sea

Wed Aug 28 At Sea

Thu Aug 29 New York (Manhattan), NY 8:00am

The evening in San Juan is not exactly kid friendly. My kids are sleeping by 9pm. Even on vacation. ESPECIALLY on vacation. We'd be back on board before dinner... don't know if we'd spend more than an hour or 2 ashore?

We know St. Thomas intimately... we got married in St. John and I'd love to show my kids where it all started... but the 4pm departure is just early enough to force an accelerated day...

And Grand Turk -- 1pm arrival, is kinda late for a water sports day to be back on board to get ready for dinner.

This itinerary seems like it's less younger kid/family friendly and more older kid/adult -- does anyone agree?

Granted, mom and dad love the sea days w/camp carnival. But we also want places to take the kids (water-based activities). This itin comes up short to me upon first look. Am I totally missing something here?

What's crazy is that for the same budget, we can get two connecting double balcs on the Splendor vs. a quad + airfare on the Breeze or Dream. So the Splendor trip would be more comfortable (and a quad on the Splendor is just about equal to two doubles. Go figure!)

My 9 year old daughter loves the "going to new places" part of travel, so less sea days would be her choice. 4 year old prefers Orlando. We did that spring break... (read: need a real vacation after a week at WDW).

Parents -- can you compare this itin to a more traditional 7-day from Miami? We are also looking at a 7-day on the Liberty. Factor in air and hotels the day before, and airport ground and the stress of flying, we have to weigh all options... I need a common sense kick in the ass. Thanks in advance.

I am taking my boys, 8 and 9, on the Splendor in June. However, we r doing the other itinerary...Nassau ( taking them to Atlantis) Grand Turk (they will love the pool and beach) and Half Moon Cay (rented a cabana for breaks from the sun). Seems like a perfect fit for us. Could this be an option for you?

We are also going on the Splendor .. in July, but the other itinerary as well.

In San Juan, you may enjoy taking the free shuttle to El Morro Fort, and exploring for a few hours there. It won't get dark until quite late, and discovering that area, may just be enough fun!

Grand Turk is a great fun place... my kids are looking forward to the huge pool at Margaritaville and my middle son will go on the FlowRider.

We chose the Splendor out of NYC... with connecting Ocean View Cabins. We usually sail out of Florida, but the flights are so pricey this year.... driving 3.5 hours to NYC will be worth it!

Have Fun!

Catrin

As a New Yorker, I'm thrilled that Splendor is sailing from NYC.

We live ~10 minutes from the pier. Taxi to the west side and we're outa here....

But as a dad of 2 school aged kids (4 & 9) I'm not crazy about the itinerary.

For example:

Wed Aug 21 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Thu Aug 22 At Sea

Fri Aug 23 At Sea

Sat Aug 24 San Juan, Puerto Rico 3:00pm 11:59pm

Sun Aug 25 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 7:00am 4:00pm

Mon Aug 26 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 1:00pm 7:00pm

Tue Aug 27 At Sea

Wed Aug 28 At Sea

Thu Aug 29 New York (Manhattan), NY

We don't have children, but we did the GT, HMC and Nassau itinerary on the Miracle in 2011. We loved it so much, we are doing it again in June.

The pool at Margaritaville is beautiful and they have the Flo Rider. There are all sorts of other excursions as well. GT is supposed to be very good for snorkeling and diving. I think you can do dune buggys or parasailing there as well.

I know you can do parasailing at HMC - and the beach is gorgeous! There is horseback riding on the beach there and if you get a cabana you get all kinds of beach/water toys - snorkel gear, etc. And they have a small water park.

All sorts of things to do in Nassau. There's Atlantis - it's expensive and you have to book before you sail - it sells out fast. Great water park though. There is a zoo, a pirate museum, hotel day passes, a Segway tour.

The port times are good to. I think we were in GT from 9am-4pm, In HMC for the whole day - similar hours. I think we left at 5. And Nassau was 7am - 4pm.

I would think this is a great itinerary to do with kids. And the sea days give Mom & Dad a break while the kids are in Camp Carnival.

NY sail away is the best!

Ah...

the Bahamas itin...

Tue Aug 13 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Wed Aug 14 At Sea

Thu Aug 15 At Sea

Fri Aug 16 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands 7:00am 3:00pm

Sat Aug 17 Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 9:00am 5:00pm

Sun Aug 18 Nassau, Bahamas 7:00am 6:00pm

Mon Aug 19 At Sea

Tue Aug 20 At Sea

Wed Aug 21 New York (Manhattan), NY 8:00am

This itin appears to be much more kid friendly.

Unfortunately, my kids are still in camp through Aug 16 (with optional week ending Aug 22) -- losing the optional camp week to leave Aug 21 would be a negotiation, leaving Aug 13 would trigger a thermonuclear war. So that's not going to happen.

And Aug 29 is the same itin as Aug 21.

Then school starts... no negotiation there.

Hmm...

Thanks to all for the input.

Ah...

the Bahamas itin...

This itin appears to be much more kid friendly.

Unfortunately, my kids are still in camp through Aug 16 (with optional week ending Aug 22) -- losing the optional camp week to leave Aug 21 would be a negotiation, leaving Aug 13 would trigger a thermonuclear war. So that's not going to happen.

Hmm...

I posted my response before reading this. thermonuclear war eh? Is giving them a choice an option?

thermonuclear war eh? Is giving them a choice an option?

LOL

I know my older daughter would choose camp before food and water.

Losing a week of camp would be a terrible choice by dad.

There's something just "not right" about the Aug21 and Aug29 itins for my family.

i am doing the same itinerary in about 13 days. I kinda perfer this route because i found Nassau isn't a great port to stop and there usually not that much to do. San Juan has a lot of historic forts that can you explore that your kids might like

Can you do the optional week of camp and pull them out the week with the Bahamas itin? A bit of a trade off.

We're doing the Bahamas itin in July with a 2 y/o, three 4 y/os, and a 9 year old. Should be fun!

LOL

I know my older daughter would choose camp before food and water.

Losing a week of camp would be a terrible choice by dad.

There's something just "not right" about the Aug21 and Aug29 itins for my family.

We have also done the San Juan - St. Thomas - Grand Turk run several times and though not as good as the other itinerary, the kids love St. Thomas, which as you know, there is a variety of things to do there. After their first visit to San Juan the boys elected to remain on board at Camp Carnival on all remaining visits.

After their first visit to San Juan the boys elected to remain on board at Camp Carnival on all remaining visits.

Bingo. My girls want to play in the ocean. A 3pm+ arrival = very little beach time, if at all.

The NCL Breakaway and NCL Gem are sailing from New York too.

Breakaway = home run to/from Bermuda for 3+ days

Gem =

Port Canaveral, FL Noon 9:30pm

Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 8:00am 5:00pm

Nassau, Bahamas 8:00am 6:00pm

Port Canaveral arrival at noon eliminates any possibility of getting to Orlando attractions and back same day. THE ONLY WAY to do Orlando attractions is to be there 45 minutes+ before opening. In my opinion, arriving anywhere in the afternoon is a wasted day. We're not late nighters and my kids would rather snorkel or beach than see a show (we live in NYC, my kids get to see broadway shows). Don't need to go on a cruise to see a show.

This may not be the year we get to home port. :-(

Ah...

Hmm...

Sorry - you didn't mention the dates. We did San Juan, St Thomas and Tortola on the Legend. I prefer the GT, HMC and Nassau. We're just looking to relax so we have a pool day at GT for DH and a beach day at HMC for me and we're doing the Sheraton day pass in Nassau - so there's a beach and a great pool - decisions, decisions.

Hope you find something that works with your schedule! The Canada cruise is nice, but not as long. Not as warm either ;)

The NCL Breakaway and NCL Gem are sailing from New York too. Maybe try that. Not sure of the itinerary, though.

Also the Carnival Glory is sailing from NY, I think.

Maggie

Norwegian Gem

Sailing Date(s): August 17, 24, 31, 2013

Ports of Call: Departs From New York, New York visiting Port Canaveral, Florida >> Great Stirrup Cay (Cruiseline Private Island), Bahamas >> Nassau, Bahamas

Norwegian Breakaway - New Ship!

Sailing Date(s): August 18, 25, 2013

Ports of Call: Departs From New York, New York visiting King's Wharf, Bermuda

Carnival Splendor

Sailing Date(s): August 21, 29, 2013

Ports of Call: Departs From New York, New York visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico >> Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. >> Grand Turk Island

The Glory is doing runs to Canada, I don't think OP wants to go to Canada?

I agree OP, I'm not crazy about the port times on the Splendor's SJ, ST, GT run. I hope it all works out!

Bingo. My girls want to play in the ocean. A 3pm+ arrival = very little beach time, if at all.

Gem =

Port Canaveral arrival at noon eliminates any possibility of getting to Orlando attractions and back same day. THE ONLY WAY to do Orlando attractions is to be there 45 minutes+ before opening. In my opinion, arriving anywhere in the afternoon is a wasted day. We're not late nighters and my kids would rather snorkel or beach than see a show (we live in NYC, my kids get to see broadway shows). Don't need to go on a cruise to see a show.

Why not just hang out at Cocoa Beach and let the kids take surfing lessons? Just because the Port is "Orlando", you don't have to do the parks! We are arriving in Port Canaveral and driving to visit family/friends who live in Florida for lunch/dinner before we get back on board! lol.

A colleague at work who does not live in the city asked why camp was running into the end of August...

Because of holidays and teacher contracts, the NY schools typically start later than some parts of the US. We NEVER start before labor day. Ever. This year, 1st day of school is Sep 9. Even some of the private schools are starting Sep 9 this year.

This means last day of school is the last thurs in June. That's 2+ weeks later than many schools. And many camps have adjusted their schedules to cater to NYC students.

Which works in our favor if we want to book end of august... last summer on the Magic, the kid count was 1/2 of a "normal" summer week when we went last week of Aug. Still many kids from western and northern states (and Canada), but most of the TX kids were in school.

I thank all of you for helping me think out loud. I thin we're gonna explore the FL port options for this trip.

Thx to all.

Gem =

The Gen itinerary sounds like it meets your criteria. Maybe do the Kennedy Space Center or Cocoa beach in Port Canaveral instead of the Parks. You said your kids like to do the beach. This itinerary sounds like it would fit the bill! But you know what your family would like best.

Maggie

I did this itinerary with (2) 8yr old, (2) 7 yr olds, (1) 6yr old, (1) 4yr old, and (1) 2yr old.

They had lots of fun.

In San Juan we took a "tour". The first stop was the beach, then we went to the forts(they ran around huge fields and rolled down hills etc), did a few gift shops, and then went to Senor Frogs. We left about 10pm to get back onboard. My kids go to bed religously at 8pm but when constantly moving they stayed awake just fine.

232323232%7Ffp73475%3Enu%3D3278%3E292%3E%3B98%3EWSNRCG%3D38493%3B983932%3Bnu0mrj

after senor frogs

232323232%7Ffp54378%3Enu%3D3278%3E292%3E%3B98%3EWSNRCG%3D38493%3B599632%3Bnu0mrj

In Grand Turk all there is to do is water. We did Beach followed by Margaritaville. They swam for hours and we just went back at 330 since its a 5 minute walk.

Looking at the fish in the water

232323232%7Ffp54349%3Enu%3D3278%3E292%3E%3B98%3EWSNRCG%3D38493%3B%3B43832%3Bnu0mrj

pool at margaritaville

232323232%7Ffp543%3B%3A%3Enu%3D3278%3E292%3E%3B98%3EWSNRCG%3D38493%3B%3B43%3B32%3Bnu0mrj

poolside bar getting fruity drinks

St. Thomas we did a tour and beach. The times will work out fine. I would try it. I was worried also about the San Juan time.

232323232%7Ffp54399%3Enu%3D3278%3E292%3E%3B98%3EWSNRCG%3D38493%3B59%3A%3B32%3Bnu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54399%3Enu%3D3278%3E292%3E%3B98%3EWSNRCG%3D38493%3B59%3A732%3Bnu0mrj

Dont think too much about it. Just go and have fun!

Have you been to Bermuda? I love it there! Lots to do with kids - beautiful beaches.

If you decide on Bermuda, I can give you a massive list of things to do!

And the Breakaway is sailing from NYC.

I thank all of you for helping me think out loud. I thin we're gonna explore the FL port options for this trip.

Thx to all.

here are the variety of excursions through NCL for Port Canaveral:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-destination/bahamas_florida/excursions?N=4294934654+4294964439&Nao=0&Ne=8057&Ns=p_Shorex_Search_Weight%7C0%7C%7Cp_Shorex_Title%7C0&Nu=p_Shorex_Package_Id&Mnr=4192#tab_detail

Archived