Got off the Breakaway 5/12-5/19 - Questions?

.... Is there a little more space to move around if the room only sleeps 2 compared to the rooms that sleep 3 or 4. ....

All recent modern new build ships IIRC have reported, noise around elevators isn't an issue. Perhaps a bit of sound if cabin door fronts elevator lobby, with voices.

Inside cabins. All inside cabins are the same sqft. Cabins that sleep more pax will have ceiling pull down bunks. So space the same whether inside sleeps 2 or 4. HTH

Did you get to see one of the 'small' balcony rooms? If so, was it really that bad? By any chance you know how it compares to the balcony on Sky?

I loved our balcony on Sky, deck 9 I believe. If the new Breakaway balcony is like that I will be happy.

Also how many live bands were there? I love live music. It just feels special.

Thank! :)

Sorry for abandoning the thread like this, I was sick and just got back.

To answer questions:

1. I don't know if there was a rib night at the MDR's, I only ate there twice and I thought the food was decent but not exceptional. The ny strip steak tasted kinda fake to me.

The eggs that are scrambled at the garden cafe taste horribly fake. The omelette stations were nice though.

The pizza in the garden cafe was decent but the pizza room service pizza got my friend and I both sick.

The Manhattan room and taste, savor all have the same kitchen, but I liked dining at Savor, it was more cozy (due to lay out) and we ate there for lunch because we got tired of the garden cafe.

BTW, all of the food at the garden cafe just seemed a bit off, I'm not a food snob, but I was never really impressed with any of it. The soft serve ice cream was nice.

------

Cagney's steakhouse was great, we loved it and the filet mignon was amazing, truly my favorite specialty restaurant.

Le Bistro was second best, the duck was great, but the four cones with different salads was underwhelming, I think I should have gotten the escargot instead.

Sushi bar was underwhelming too, the presentation and staff were great, but the sushi was mediocre at best. I got a combo that included tuna sashmi, california rolls and rainbow rolls. The fish was okay but we got it on Thursday so it definitely did not feel fresh at all. The rice was decent at best.

My biggest disappointment (and I don't want to be hated here) was Ocean Blue. I got the scallops platter and some salad that I forget now. It tasted okay, not bad, but nothing great either. The eatery itself is a little place tucked away near the raw bar and the sushi bar, and the decor wasn't anything to rave about either. The way they served the food simultaneously along the table was a nice touch but nothing else really matched the service, which was great. It was barely worth 35 dollars, not worth 50.

The inside staterooms were pretty tiny, we had our beds separated, and we had enough space to walk between the beds to get into bed, etc. There was virtually no flat free space, so room service didn't have any room to put both a pizza box and a tray with ice cream. The decor was nice though in the rooms, the wooden (fake I guess) highlights were nice.

Here is an issue though, the metal tray with coffee cups takes up half of the only table in the room, there is no chair, but a small stool that is not very comfortable.

The door has a small latch on it that seemingly will deadbolt the door, but ours didn't work, because you were still able to open the door with the latch shut. The closet space was big enough for two large trunks. The safe was pretty decent.

The bathroom was very nice, lots of shelving, the shower was nice but the pressure was absolutely awful. The toilet flushed well BUT and this is a big BUT, they secured it to the wall only, it hangs over the floor, thus when I sat on it over the trip, I felt it and HEARD it cracking inside the wall. I am 6' 3" and weigh 328. I'm not a blimp, and I know there were many large people on the ship, I don't know how NCL or Meyer Werft expects those toilets to not fall off the walls within a few trips.

What else:

The water slides were pretty awesome, almost no lines on the trip. Tons of loungers all over deck 15 and 16, and deck 15 has tons of shade while 16 has tons of great sunbathing areas. Pool entertainment musicians were mediocre.

The video arcade had a great selection of games, air hockey tables were awesome.

SpiceH20 has very little seating, which is needed during stuff like Dancing with the breakaway stars (which was really nice)..

During the fireworks show, SpiceH20 could barely hold all the people.

The ropes course was amazing, and the rock climbing wall looked great. (Didn't do that one)

Vibe was deserted during the cruise, I never saw anyone going in there.

Elevators were very nice but they have a big issue, the doors shut until 5 inches apart and then they close VERY SLOWLY, like 3 seconds to fully close. During this time if anyone presses the button outside to call an elevator, the doors will reopen and the process begins again. Causes delays when elevators are full and you want to call another one.

Shows:

I saw Rock of Ages which was very well done, great singing and acting. The breakaway theater was very nice if a bit small.

Cirque Dreams and Dinner, the food was good, the show itself was amazing, truly great performance.

Howling at the moon was very fun, great performance, very good on their feet and very good improv. The free Second City show was great too, we took the 11pm risque show and we loved it. It was only 40 min though, too short, but great none the less.

I will answer any more questions I can.

edit: I didn't have the unlimited drinks thing, but I did have the soda card which was great. You just flash your card anywhere and you get unlimited soda: Pepsi, diet pepsi, lemon/lime soda, orange soda, mountain dew and ginger ale.

The cabins were absolutely quiet, it was great. We heard no noise from above or below, only when our neighbor opened their doors, nothing from their cabin though.

Sorry for abandoning the thread like this, I was sick and just got back.

To answer questions:

------

Cagney's steakhouse was great, we loved it and the filet mignon was amazing, truly my favorite specialty restaurant.

Le Bistro was second best, the duck was great, but the four cones with different salads was underwhelming, I think I should have gotten the escargot instead.

My biggest disappointment (and I don't want to be hated here) was Ocean Blue. I got the scallops platter and some salad that I forget now. It tasted okay, not bad, but nothing great either. The eatery itself is a little place tucked away near the raw bar and the sushi bar, and the decor wasn't anything to rave about either. The way they served the food simultaneously along the table was a nice touch but nothing else really matched the service, which was great. It was barely worth 35 dollars, not worth 50.

Frost- Thanks for the great info!! Interesting about Ocean Blu..a friend's TA went on the 2 nighter in NY and she said Ocean Blu was THEE BEST meal she's EVER had- ANYWHERE including on land...WOW, big statement from someone who told my friend she does not like NCL...And Yes, you should've had the escargots at LB, my favorite venue, w/ Cagney's 2nd & Teppanyaki 3rd, all great IMHO....I hear La Cucina is very nice and very attractive place to dine in...do you know if the unlimited booze package includes ALL draft beers? Great having you respond to all..we're looking to do the Getaway next year....

Big Al

I'm ready to book on the Breakaway. I was looking at the layout and finding it difficult to pick a deck. I plan on booking an inside cabin. I'm trying to find a deck that isn't on top or below anything noisy; restaurants, shows or stores. How was deck 11? Should that be my choice? Definitely looking for a quiet area.

Thanks for the answer

We stayed on 11 and were under the splash academy registration desk but we never heard anything..... and if your looking to book an inside book one in the area by 11603 hallway as it is right off of the elevator and then is no need to walk thru the tight hallways.....

Hi

Thanks for all the great info. Did you do the second city dysfunctional family lunch show? If so what did they serve and how was the show?

We originally booked the murder mystery lunch show but then when we arrived on the ship it was the family reunion but we made the best of it. We liked it better then expected but it did leave something to desire. It wasn't booked much as it was cancelled all week and everyone place at 1230 on Saturday. And the room still wasn't full.

I can answer any questions you may have.

I sailed inside stateroom, 11615, there was another cruise critics member like 2 rooms from me, name started or ended with _rem I think. I saw the picture she/he put up on the room door.

Also, really liked the large hardcover breakaway book they gave everyone on the last day of the voyage. I have a ton of pics of the ship from deck 15/16 and outside in bermuda looking at the ship.

Let me know if I can answer anything.

Confused about Burn the Floor. Read 7:00 p.m. show is in Manhattan Room. Is dinner served during performance?

Thank you

How was the nightlife on the boat if you did go to any of the clubs or bars...?

Also, I'm just hearing about an unlimited alcohol package. Is this a rumor or true?

I sound like an alcoholic party animal haha. Traveling with all my friends (about 21 years old) and they're all very curious... Thanks!

Thanks Frost and Renee for all these insightful info about Breakaway.

My family of 4 (with 2 tweens) will be on Breakaway the first week of September, jamming into an inside stateroom on deck 13. Guess it will be a challenge.

I really hope there will not be much wait in lines for the slides, rope course and such... Did you try "Walk the Plank"? Or did you want other people doing that? What's your take on this daring act?

Was the pool area crowded during the day? Is it difficult getting lounge chairs?

hi renee...found where you are posting. Im having cruise depression and I want to book again but don't know if ill be able to. We aew looking at October 13 and October 20th but not sure yet.

hope to hear from you soon, hows tammys foot doing? did she see the dr yet?

Talk to you soon, diane

I had no problem with getting a chair on the deck because it was pretty cold but don't know what it will be like with the summer months and when all the kids get out of school.

We had premium seating and we sat at the head of the table right next to the stage. The standard seating was right behind us on a platform. They had circular booths. I'm sure they could see fine and that the premium is not necessary.

Confused about Burn the Floor. Read 7:00 p.m. show is in Manhattan Room. Is dinner served during performance?

Thank you

Yes. They were actually at 6 or 6:30 on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in the Manhattan dining room during dinner. It is a shorter show.

Any pointers on what to do or not to do in Bermuda? :D It's our first time. There will be 4 adults, 3 of us are in our early 40's and my niece will be with us is 18.

I took the glass bottom boat in Bermuda. I loved it and it's something everyone would remember. It's cheaper if you book it yourself, I think it was half the price. I really enjoyed it, it didn't take up thewhole day which was great, I still had time for the beach and time to get back to the ship for lunch and diner

For the Cirque Dinner Show did you have premium or standard seating? Any input on seating would be appreciated. Thanks!

I first booked premium seating but then someone told me it didn't make much of a difference so I changed it to regular standard seating, then I was glad, my seats were great and I was also happy I didn't spend the extra money

Archived