Unfair booking conditions- why I will never use an Aus agent again

The issue here is that there are different booking conditions booking through a US TA rather than an Aussie one.

In Aus we lose deposits and try to transfer them .... Well that's another issue:(

True, US customers have been very favourably treated.

A few years ago we transferred a Princess booking (booked through a local TA) and didn't lose our deposit. I also understand that, with Princess, we have the same conditions as in USA - if there is a price drop before final payment, passengers can have the lower price if they ask. :)

Last year I booked a European cruise with RCL for Sept this year. In the past I have usually used US agents and had excellent service and prices. I have also been able to get price drops or upgrade my cabin- last year from Balcony th JS then from JS to GS as price drops occured getting cloer to sail date. I paid a little extra for the upgrades but they were worth it due to big price drops overall.

This year , as prices were comparable initially, I decided to help the Aus economy , by using an Aus agent. About 250 days before sailing there was a big price drop which I managed to get, after going through the convuluted practice of having to pay another deposit and wait for a refund of the first. This was a LOT more complicated than the simple single phone call to my US agent but I went with it.

This week I noticed that a suite guarantee had come up at a $600 extra price difference. This seemed a good deal to me so I tried to apply for it but as I am now outside the 150 day period I will apparently lose my $1200 deposit if I want to get this deal. The 150 day lose deposit window is twice as long as that which exisits in the US and they certainly don't ever apply if to paying for an upgrade- you can apply for an upgrade at any time even after final payment date- and get it easily- as I did last year.

The inequities in this system seem designed to discourage Australians from booking a long way in advance as they stand to lose if there are any new offers- such as the suite guarantee or any price drops. Where I can see there is some business sense in not allowing price drops after booking- though it does not encourage early bookings- there seems to be no sense at all in not allowing people to pay extra on a cruise on which they are already booked and which is clearly selling poorly.

I am waiting to hear back from RCL on this issue but am not hopeful. I have leant my lesson and will use my wonderful US agents in the future and not be disadvantaged just because I come from Australia.

sorry but it is the same in the UK - once the deposit is paid, any change and you lose the deposit, even if the cruise is a year away. If you book direct with RCCL or Celebrity they will move it up to the 90 day out but otherwise we go with a US agent as they give you a lot more flexibility

Gae prices are just one point. The issue here is that there are different booking conditions booking through a US TA rather than an Aussie one.

In Aus we lose deposits and try to transfer them .... Well that's another issue:(

My US TA gives price drops as soon as I email them, change of cabin, no problem. In fact nothing is a problem And the service is exceptional.

Of course with the $ going down you have to do your homework but our next cruises we booked we got $900 OBC which should compensate for any more $drops:D then if the $ drops too much we just cancel. No penalty, easy:D

With princess and p&o if you have an FCC you can cancel out for any reason as long as you dont make final payment so i think our local TA's are giving us a good deal but you have to shop around to get any price drops and see what their t&c's are....my TA is good and they can normally beat princess or p&o prices and still give me the benefits

I use a combination of Aussie and US t/as depending. The service from US t/as is far superior in my opinion based on my personal experience. The booking conditions are better as others have said. The time for final payment is closer to the sailing date. I absolutely refuse to book a cruise far in the future unless the agents guarantees in writing to honour price drops...I was seriously burned on a very expensive cruise by Princess Australia to the tune of many thousands of dollars. I am exempt from the "no booking non US citizens" rule as a client prior to this rule..however I have no problem booking other lines as well. I would like to us Aussie agents exclusively but until I get a fairer deal I will continue to give my business where I can cruise for less and more often.

A few tips for new cruisers...

1. Brochure price means nothing very few cruisers pay this price..so 40% off the brochure price means absolutely zip.

2. Prices quoted by US agencies usually don't include fees and taxes.

3. Always book a "guarantee" cabin if you don't mind where in the ship your cabin will be..good upgrades sometimes.

4. Do your research many agencies will match a genuine offer.

5. Unless its a very popular itinerary the price will be cheaper just prior to sailing.

6. If you have children you have to book early and you will pay more to sail in school holidays..don't leave it too late to book some lines have limits on how many children they will take onboard.

7. Just before Christmas is a often bargain time to cruise...good fun on US lines who decorate for Thanksgiving.

8. Relocation cruises where the ship is moving between different areas of the globe for cruising seasons is often good value particularly if you like sea days.

Others may think of more.

Happy cruising.

Sue

I've had a very different experience by booking direct with HAL Australia for a Med cruise in August. Since I paid a deposit in January my cabin fare has dropped 3 times and each time it's only taken a quick phone call to them to have them drop my fare immediately. This has meant that my fare has dropped by over $2000 - or 30%! Also my deposit is fully refundable until 90 days out. With the final price drop my fare was a few hundred dollars cheaper than through a US TA.

This hasn't always been the case in the past when I've booked cruises but I'm taking this as a sign that things are starting to change now. At least HAL's Australian booking conditions are identical to the US but previously some TAs have imposed additional booking conditions.

Rang to deposit our HAL cruise the other day and the girl said exactly the same. When my Aussie TA discovered I had booked direct with HAL she offered to transfer the booking, discount the price and honour the price drops if any should come up.

Best thing about booking with an Australian agency is the price is denominated in A$ so you have no currency exposure. In the last few months that would have been a huge price increase if you had booked through the US.

Archived