Carnival Canceled My Cruise!!! Is this Common?

jesscruiser

You would think right now they would want the business.

Looks like a sneaky way for Carnival to make money on top of cancellations. Figuring if they cancel a bunch of people in this same situation with some vague subject line and then rebook it eventually to someone else, they get twice the price of that one cabin.

Kinda sneaky if you ask me. The least Carnival could do is make human contact with a phone call to their clients. I'm sure that's how they did it before the internet and email!

I know I check my billing page everyday now! I don't want them to cancel again lol. I have even thought about going ahead and paying the whole thing off!

Yeah, but now you have me worried that even after paying in full they could cancel. :)

Looking forward to the cruise is half the fun for me and that is why I'm on this site and Carnival's site daily checking on everything. I'm just glad you got this all worked out.

Got an e-mail earlier this year that my cruise would be cancelled because I owed them .01 cent. WOW! Even my PVP was shocked.

I got an e-mail 2 weeks ago that I owed $49.00 or mine would be cancelled. We upgraded that day from an aft ext to an aft wrap. I already had paid the full deposit plus the insurance that I added on. That night I received the e-mail so I went online to put more down (even though I really didn't need to) and the computer wouldn't let me put anything towards my cruise. I was in panic mode all night until I could reach my PVP the next day. He told me that the reservation was ok but, I told him I wanted to make a payment of $150.00 just incase. LOL! So far no issues at all. Neither of us know what happened.

Wouldn't $500 be more than the full deposit required?

a number of things could have happened. There is a lack of details provided.

3. Did you book when Carnival was offering a 50% discount on deposits? This has been a common theme lately with people not understanding how this works. Basically, with a 50% discount on deposit,,,, you are only holding a reservation. The remainder of the full deposit MUST be paid within a certain time frame to guarantee your booking.

3. Did you book when Carnival was offering a 50% discount on deposits? This has been a common theme lately with people not understanding how this works. Basically, with a 50% discount on deposit,,,, you are only holding a reservation. The remainder of the full deposit MUST be paid within a certain time frame to guarantee your booking.

I'm trying to find where that is said. We booked during the 50% deposit, and my billing page shows the remainder due at regular final payment time.

Do you know where (without holding for an hour on the 800#) I can find where it shows that we need to pay the rest of the deposit?

I'm trying to find where that is said. We booked during the 50% deposit, and my billing page shows the remainder due at regular final payment time.

Do you know where (without holding for an hour on the 800#) I can find where it shows that we need to pay the rest of the deposit?

This is what I could find on Carnivals site:

FRIENDS & FAMILY EVENT

"Cruise rates are in US dollars, per person and based on double occupancy. Savings up to $150 per person up to a maximum of $300 per stateroom on select 3-5 day sailings and up to $300 per person up to a maximum of $600 per stateroom on select 6 day and greater sailings. Savings may vary by ship and sail date. Reduced deposits are based off the full per person deposit amount and may vary by ship and sail date. Changes made to the reservation may result in removal of the reduced deposit offer. Reduced deposits are not available within final payment. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Carnival reserves the right to withdraw and/or change offer at any time without prior notice. Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplements charges and/or government taxes and fees. Government taxes and fees range from $37.06 to $319.82, and are assessed on a per guest basis and according to the itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom, but a minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Carnival reserves the right to assess a change fee according to the date of the request, the length of the cruise, and the actual cruise sail date. Cancellation penalties apply. Offer is applicable on select sailings through August 31, 2013. Valid on new bookings only. Must book between 3/19/13 – 5/31/13. Promotional offer excludes UK and Ireland. If booking within Israel, Russia and all European countries please request rate code I4V & I5V respectively. If booking within the United States and all other countries please request rate code PDO. If the sailing is within final payment, it does not qualify for reduced deposits; for these sailings if booking within Israel, Russia and all European countries please request rate code I4O & I5O respectively. If booking within the United States and all other countries please request rate code PDV. Ships' Registry: The Bahamas, Panama & Malta."

It seems right since I booked on the 50% reduced deposit on an 8 day cruise and my reduced deposit for 2 people was $300. So the full deposit would have been $600 for the both of us.

I don't think you need to pay the rest of your deposit unless you made changes to your reservation, if your cruise manager looks correct, you should be ok. I think the carnival web pages are all screwed up. My web page does not show my 250 deposit, it has my prepaid gratuties mixed in with taxes. It does show 1000 that I paid subsequent to booking, it does not show my 100 obc... it's a mess. I think its because I used my last future cruise certificate. I hope my pvp can get it fixed. Make screen shots of your web page showing what you owe, as the pages keep changing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't $500 be more than the full deposit required?

Yes it was! Even the guy at Carnival didn't have an answer for me when I called. He was confused and had to get someone else and she didn't know. They just fixed it and apologized.

I did get a price drop a few days after I booked, and then I guess they waited about a month and canceled it. Lol I don't know!

Perhaps the booking was simply inadvertently cancelled. In other words, a mistake. A Carnival rep could have cancelled your booking by accident in lieu of a booking with a similar number.

Probably doesn't happen often, but people are human and make mistakes, which is why I check my bookings periodically to make sure they are still there and that nothing has changed (cabin # etc.).

Perhaps the booking was simply inadvertently cancelled. In other words, a mistake. A Carnival rep could have cancelled your booking by accident in lieu of a booking with a similar number.

Probably doesn't happen often, but people are human and make mistakes, which is why I check my bookings periodically to make sure they are still there and that nothing has changed (cabin # etc.).

Yep, it had to just be an accident because no one knew why? No harm though, everything was fixed!

Archived