Carnival Canceled My Cruise!!! Is this Common?

jesscruiser

Ok, so about two weeks ago I got an email from Carnival stating that my FTTP had been canceled due to a full booking cancel. I didn't know what that meant so I called Carnival (Lucky for me).

Carnival informed me that my cruise had been canceled because a minumum deposit of $400 had not been paid. I informed them that this booking and been booked for over a month, and in fact I put down a $500 deposit. The guy was even confused. Has no idea why my booking would have been canceled, since my final payment date isn't until September. They fixed it, so no big deal, but my question is does things like this happen often? Has it happened to anyone else?

Lots and lots of Carnival cruises, and NO,,,I've never heard of this happening before. Miss the final payment? Yep, they'll cancel in a heartbeat, but for no apparent reason...thank goodness,,,,NO,,,Never heard of that before. :eek: Sure glad you called, and got it straightened out though! :cool:

"SKY"

a number of things could have happened. There is a lack of details provided.

1. Could there have been a computer glitch? Of course.

2. Did you book with a TA? Maybe the TA made a mistake

3. Did you book when Carnival was offering a 50% discount on deposits? This has been a common theme lately with people not understanding how this works. Basically, with a 50% discount on deposit,,,, you are only holding a reservation. The remainder of the full deposit MUST be paid within a certain time frame to guarantee your booking.

if you booked a cruise during their half price deposit and then submitted for a price drop you will lose the credit for half price deposit

This is confusing. If you made a deposit and are before final payment is due, they should not cancel, and certainly not without contacting you first. If more of a deposit is required, they should notify you. Once you have made your deposit, you should not have to keep checking (although I do) your billing page until it's time to make your final payment, or unless you've made additional payments prior to the final payment.

Ok, so about two weeks ago I got an email from Carnival stating that my FTTP had been canceled due to a full booking cancel. I didn't know what that meant so I called Carnival (Lucky for me).

Carnival informed me that my cruise had been canceled because a minumum deposit of $400 had not been paid. I informed them that this booking and been booked for over a month, and in fact I put down a $500 deposit. The guy was even confused. Has no idea why my booking would have been canceled, since my final payment date isn't until September. They fixed it, so no big deal, but my question is does things like this happen often? Has it happened to anyone else?

Sure glad you got an email about this and read it.

Someone recently mentioned having her booking canceled and they had ignored the email thinking it was just a generic email wanting them to book something.

The full deposit was $400 ( When I booked during half deposit I only had to put down $200) but I put down $500.

They must have only noted $200 of your $500 as the deposit. Even though you paid more than the full deposit, when you went for a price drop (if you did), then it was flagged as not enough deposit (even though overall you had more than enough put down. It's all in how they tag the money.

1. Could there have been a computer glitch? Of course. Most probable

2. Did you book with a TA? Maybe the TA made a mistake. Booked on my own

3. Did you book when Carnival was offering a 50% discount on deposits? This has been a common theme lately with people not understanding how this works. Basically, with a 50% discount on deposit,,,, you are only holding a reservation. The remainder of the full deposit MUST be paid within a certain time frame to guarantee your booking. Half off Deposit was $200, Full Deposit $400. I paid $500.

They must have only noted $200 of your $500 as the deposit. Even though you paid more than the full deposit, when you went for a price drop (if you did), then it was flagged as not enough deposit (even though overall you had more than enough put down. It's all in how they tag the money.

I did get a price drop a few days after I booked, and then I guess they waited about a month and canceled it. Lol I don't know!

This is confusing. If you made a deposit and are before final payment is due, they should not cancel, and certainly not without contacting you first. If more of a deposit is required, they should notify you. Once you have made your deposit, you should not have to keep checking (although I do) your billing page until it's time to make your final payment, or unless you've made additional payments prior to the final payment.

I know I check my billing page everyday now! I don't want them to cancel again lol. I have even thought about going ahead and paying the whole thing off!

Sure glad you got an email about this and read it.

Someone recently mentioned having her booking canceled and they had ignored the email thinking it was just a generic email wanting them to book something.

They should check. When I called Carnival I thought that just my shore excursion (FTTF) had been canceled. Had I not called, I would have not known my whole cruise was canceled.

Wow that's messed up. That's why I read all my emails from them whenever I'm in the middle of vacation plans. And I check my cruise manager once a day just to make sure things are right.

Glad you got it fixed OP. Sounds like they messed up on your deposit.

1. Could there have been a computer glitch? Of course.

2. Did you book with a TA? Maybe the TA made a mistake

3. Did you book when Carnival was offering a 50% discount on deposits? This has been a common theme lately with people not understanding how this works. Basically, with a 50% discount on deposit,,,, you are only holding a reservation. The remainder of the full deposit MUST be paid within a certain time frame to guarantee your booking.

4) Carnival messed up

Oh jeezzz, I can imagine what you felt. But thank God that everything turned out good. I also already put down a $ 500,- deposit and my final payment date isn't untill 17 September.

it happened to me too. I got an email that my FTTF was cancelled and a refund was being issued, freaked me out. my pvp explained there was aglitch when the future cruise certificate was applied. carnival fixed it right away but I did have to order FTTF again.

So if I booked a 50% reduced deposit cruise back in March, are you saying I need to make another payment before my final payment in order for my cruise not to be cancelled?

it happened to me too. I got an email that my FTTF was cancelled and a refund was being issued, freaked me out. my pvp explained there was aglitch when the future cruise certificate was applied. carnival fixed it right away but I did have to order FTTF again.

I had to rebook my FTTF. WHen I called they weren't even sure my room hadn't been taken yet from where they canceled it.

So if I booked a 50% reduced deposit cruise back in March, are you saying I need to make another payment before my final payment in order for my cruise not to be cancelled?

Not really sure about that, but if you are early saver and put down the 50% deposit and then later saw a cheaper fare that required a full deposit, if you submitted an early saver form, than you would have to pay the rest of the deposit. That is why when I booked I paid the deposit and plus some lol

Got an e-mail earlier this year that my cruise would be cancelled because I owed them .01 cent. WOW! Even my PVP was shocked.

Not really sure about that, but if you are early saver and put down the 50% deposit and then later saw a cheaper fare that required a full deposit, if you submitted an early saver form, than you would have to pay the rest of the deposit. That is why when I booked I paid the deposit and plus some lol

I didn't book Early Saver - they just had a really good special going on for past guests. Thanks for replying though.

I did get a price drop a few days after I booked, and then I guess they waited about a month and canceled it. Lol I don't know!

That's scary. I wonder how many others where affected during this 1/2 price deposit and the frequent price drops the past few months. I'm surprised there aren't more people asking "what the heck"!?!!?

That's scary. I wonder how many others where affected during this 1/2 price deposit and the frequent price drops the past few months. I'm surprised there aren't more people asking "what the heck"!?!!?

You would think right now they would want the business.

Archived