Keflavik Layover

Alex71

On our next transatlantic flight with Iceland Air, we have a seven our layover in Keflavik. We arrive at midnight and leave at 7 am. My feeling is that we won't have anought time to get a hotel room since it would probably take us some time to get off leave the airport and we would want to be back there two hours before our connecting flight.

Is there anything we can do at the airport at this time of day? Are there any comfortable chairs we could sleep in?

Many thanks!

Check with Icelandic. They usually offer arrangements for such layovers.

Thank you, Penny, will do. My concern is that we won't have enough time to go to a hotel since we only have seven hours total and we will need some time to leave the airport and will want to be back at least two hours before our next flight.

Thank you, Penny, will do. My concern is that we won't have enough time to go to a hotel since we only have seven hours total and we will need some time to leave the airport and will want to be back at least two hours before our next flight.

Icelandic allow free stopovers of up to a couple weeks. Why not make it 1 day 7 hours, and go explore for a day?

We stayed at the Hotel Loftleider (I believe it has a new name) and took an excursion to the capital city. If I were to go again, I would take an excursion to the volcanic areas. Iceland is a very unique country/island.

Would love to do a stop over in Iceland. Unfortunately, our rate does not allow us to do this, but we will try next time.Thank you for the great suggestions, everyone.

After landing in KEF to spend a few days in Iceland, I thought at the time, what a barren airport for a forced overnight. Reviews on the "Sleeping in Airports" website are, at best, mixed.

Compare this comment:

12 Sep 2012 - Angela on our [sleeping in Airports] Facebook page says "Slept in Keflavik airport in Iceland on Saturday night, at least they let us sleep inside the building, which I can confirm is open 24 hrs (wikitravel suggests otherwise) but the building was not heated during the night (and so pretty cold even at the end of 'summer') and an airport employee came round and woke people up who were lying on the group sleeping (there are signs up proclaiming that sleeping in the airport is forbidden) but did not bother those of us who were attempting to sleep on the chairs. One of the less good airports I've slept in my time."

with this comment:

"Last week I traveled home from Boston via Reykjavik. This entailed an 8 hour overnight wait in Iceland for my flight to London. Having read the comments about this airport I was wondering what to expect. My fears were unfounded. Indeed, I was approached by a Security Guard while sitting outside my Gate No and told I could not sit there, but he was extremely polite and directed me upstairs to the shops and eating outlets area telling me there were sofas where I could sleep. The terminal was lovely. Very modern, light and airy and the shops were upmarket. There were many armchairs and long padded benches to sit on and the hot chocolate I had was delicious. Everything closed at 1am and opened again at 5am which was not a problem for me. The place was comfortably warm and clean."

Personally, I would spring for a hotel in Keflavik (check TripAdvisor) and get a few hours of comfortable sleep.

I personally can't do a short hotel stay for a few hours sleep as all I can do is worry about oversleeping. Likely it won't be easy to get a 'day room' rate in any case.

I have slept in airports and try to avoid doing so. Forced to sometimes for weather issues. If your travel date gives you the midnight sun, I would get out of the airport at least for a little while.

Here's the reality check: there are no good options.

You can

1) stay in the airport and try to sleep (problematic and at best, uncomfortable);

2) get a few hours sleep in a hotel in Keflavik;

3) take the Flybus to Reykjavik (about 21 miles) and find an all night restaurant or bar (do your research in advance) and stay awake all night -- and get back to the airport in time to check in;

4) Walk around town in Keflavik in the middle of the night where there is nothing to see or do.

What I would choose or what anyone else would choose is irrelevant. You have about 5 hours to do "something." It's totally your choice.

Thank you very much, Shorex and PennnyAgain. I think all the options are on the table now. We will have to think it through and littlle more and prepare, so that we can deal with the situation. It's not ideal, but since it's four of us flying and a more convenient connection would have been 500 euros more expensive per ticket, we will have to make the best out of it.

On our next transatlantic flight with Iceland Air, we have a seven our layover in Keflavik. We arrive at midnight and leave at 7 am. My feeling is that we won't have anought time to get a hotel room since it would probably take us some time to get off leave the airport and we would want to be back there two hours before our connecting flight.

Is there anything we can do at the airport at this time of day? Are there any comfortable chairs we could sleep in?

Many thanks!

Is it eastbound? If so, change the first leg to the later one (evening, not afternoon)! This will allow you an hour or two layover in Keflavik which is more than ample.

We have been to Keflavik several times!!! Wonderful airport but I would imagine it being so dead during the wee hours of the morning.

Just one month ago DH and DS went from Toronto to KEF and then on to Glasgow. The plane was late leaving Toronto but the Glasgow flight waited for them.

On the return they spent 26 hours - I booked them into Northern Light Inn next to Blue Lagoon - they loved it - free shuttle to/fro airport and Blue Lagoon.

We have spent up to a week in Iceland a few times - love that country!!

Is it eastbound? If so, change the first leg to the later one (evening, not afternoon)! This will allow you an hour or two layover in Keflavik which is more than ample.

We have been to Keflavik several times!!! Wonderful airport but I would imagine it being so dead during the wee hours of the morning.

Just one month ago DH and DS went from Toronto to KEF and then on to Glasgow. The plane was late leaving Toronto but the Glasgow flight waited for them.

On the return they spent 26 hours - I booked them into Northern Light Inn next to Blue Lagoon - they loved it - free shuttle to/fro airport and Blue Lagoon.

We have spent up to a week in Iceland a few times - love that country!!

Yes, it's the eastbound flight. It seems the later flight was already full, that's why we ended up on the earlier one. Next time we will allow for some extra time in Iceland to explore.

Sounds like Icelandair does not serve food in economy and longer, so we'll grab a late dinner at the airport and then find a quite spot to get a little bit of rest before we can get some breakfast and head towards the gate.

In such circumstances I make sure that I can make my jacket into a pillow or some such and also have something else to cover up to avoid a chill.

Good luck in your travels! Even a glimpse of Iceland is a treat.

Yes, it's the eastbound flight. It seems the later flight was already full, that's why we ended up on the earlier one. Next time we will allow for some extra time in Iceland to explore.

Sounds like Icelandair does not serve food in economy and longer, so we'll grab a late dinner at the airport and then find a quite spot to get a little bit of rest before we can get some breakfast and head towards the gate.

Yes they serve food in economy - but you pay for it.

Archived