3 yr old traveling with grandparents...

utkikr21

So my DW just called me and said that her parents want to take our DS who just turned 3 on a Disney Cruise in July.

I am not asking for peoples opinions on if it is a good idea to let him travel with them alone on a cruise so save yourself the time of typing that, but what I need to find out (also calling Disney but on hold for 45 min) is what are the requirements for a child to travel on a cruise without their parents?

Thanks in advance!

I think it's a brilliant idea - both for your DS and the g'rents. An amazing bonding time. And... Time for you and DW to do your own thing. I'd celebrate!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I think it's a brilliant idea - both for your DS and the g'rents. An amazing bonding time. And... Time for you and DW to do your own thing. I'd celebrate!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

DW will be on a bachelorette party that weekend with her good friends so I am left home to work on the new house...:rolleyes:

The grandparents should also have written authorization from you to get him medical help if needed. I'm not sure if that is on the DCL form or not.

That is something I will look into! I would rather them have more stuff than needed in case of any emergencies. Dont forsee any but anymore you never know and dont want them to be unprepared.

DW will be on a bachelorette party that weekend with her good friends so I am left home to work on the new house...:rolleyes:

That is something I will look into! I would rather them have more stuff than needed in case of any emergencies. Dont forsee any but anymore you never know and dont want them to be unprepared.

We took our 6 yr old Grandson in Feb. on the Disney Wonder. We are from Canada at the border and Disney check in we were asked for his Passport as well as Notarized letter of permission, and Medical Authorization. In Nassau his passport and ship ID

It was the most rewarding time as one poster said, bonding with him.

Enjoy your cruise.

We took our 5 year old grandson last May on the Magic. We did not need a passport since it was a closed loop cruise. Just an original birth certificate was required. We had a great time with him without the parents along. Just need the form filled out. I also had my daughter-in-law have a form notorized that we could make any medical decisions on their behalf while he was traveling with us.

We travel a lot with our grandkids; you should have a medical power of attorney authorization. You grandkid could get hurt enroute to the cruise; if they need to go to the hospital they will not admit them unless you have proper medical authorization; I know it seems far fetched but it happened to my wife and I six years ago. Youngest grandson sliced his finger and needed stitches; our daughter could not be reached so hospital did not want to admit him. Do not want to scare you; it is a simple process. Anytime you take a small child out of the country without their parents it can get complicated

What is required is the signature of ONE parent on DCL's form.

However, there is a difference between "best practice" and "required." In addition to DCL's form, when I have taken children who are not mine, I have also carried a NOTARIZED letter with both parents signatures both giving me permission to travel with the child and to sign for medical treatment if indicated. These are not required documents, but I function on the level of better to carry an extra piece of paper than to wish I had something that I don't. Also, take a copy of their insurance ID card (medical), and seriously consider whether or not you need travel insurance (which also provides medical coverage.)

Archived