deck plan

Have NCL send you a "Norwegians See More" Freestyle Cruising Guide, 2012-2014. This is the most recent guide available, I think.

It has all the information on cruises and info on the ships, including deck layouts, including cabin numbers, descriptions of cabins, etc. :)

5 of the cruises I have been on - when you get on board and are overwhelmed

with the open atriums - grand foyers - and the banks of elevators that you

have to wait forever to use there is usually a crew member asking if you

need help (directions to your stateroom) and they provide you with a small

folded 3x5 index card with the details of where things are located.

If you loose yours or one is not provided go to the pursers desk for a replacement

or something similar.

Just about everywhere you go on the ship especially near the elevators

and stairways you will note a diagram of where you are on that deck.

Some cruise lines are more detailed than others.

NCL has its own even/odd numbering of the staterooms.

In general on other cruise lines the EVEN numbered staterooms are on the

PORT (LEFT) side of the ship facing forward (BOW)

and the ODD numbered ones on the STARBOARD (RIGHT).

With NCL the cabin numbers are consecutively with no relation to right or left.

NCL has its own even/odd numbering of the staterooms.

In general on other cruise lines the EVEN numbered staterooms are on the

PORT (LEFT) side of the ship facing forward (BOW)

and the ODD numbered ones on the STARBOARD (RIGHT).

With NCL the cabin numbers are consecutively with no relation to right or left.

While that is partly correct, that is not a fleetwide fact. The numbering scheme has variations and has ultimately changed again on the Epic and the later new builds to that "industry standard".

At least on the Dawn and Jewel classes the hundreds part in the cabin number start from zero on the starboard side and from 500 on the port side. So for example the cabins 9204 and 11032 would be on the starboard side and the cabins 4520 and 11632 would be on the port side.

Also on the Jewel class ships (can't remember if this is true for the Dawn class too) you can tell where you are heading by the orientation of the fish in the carpets in cabin corridors, the fish are always facing forward so when walking amongst the fish, you are travelling towards the front of the ship. Also the signs where the ship is pictured always show the ship orientation (bow/aft) correctly where possible.

I find the ships (especially the Jewel class, my favourites) quite easy to navigate but then again, while driving to a new place I usually need to have only one look at the map/route to know where I'm supposed to go and usually find myself there without any problems. ;)

If you have an iPhone or some similar device such as an iPod, the shipmate app or similar app is helpful. It has deck plans that can be used even offline. As I take my iPod with me, it a helpful portable map that I can pull up while on ship anywhere.

Does anyone have an easier way to remember where everything is on your ship? I will be sailing on the NCL Jewel, I've been studying deck plans, just can't seem to get them straight.

Once on board, there will be handy little fold out cards available of the ship and all the decks. Easy to carry with you. However, after a few hours of exploring, you'll be pretty familiar with everything.

You can download NCL "Pocket Guides" from their web site.

On the NCL home page, search for "pocket guide"...the results will list the pocket guides that are available as .pdf files. Click on the appropriate link to see the guide and then click on "Save" to save it to your computer.

here is the link to the one for the Dawn, as an example:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/18423%20Dawn%20Pocket%20Guide_11162012.pdf

Mark me for the "negative sense of direction" category. One of my fears has always been that I would not be able to locate my muster station in an emergency because I started there from another part of the ship. I MIGHT be able to breeze my way there if I started from my stateroom, but what are the chances of that happening once underway when you've got an entire ship to explore? But I'm studying my ship and getting a heads up on what is located on what level, still, I know I'll be lost more than not.

Does anyone have an easier way to remember where everything is on your ship? I will be sailing on the NCL Jewel, I've been studying deck plans, just can't seem to get them straight.

They give u a deck plan card.

First and foremost, relax and remember you are on vacation. You have plenty of time to get wherever you are going. Plus, there are friendly staff and crew everywhere who can help you navigate your way to you next meal or game or cocktail or show or nap.

We recently spent 17 days on the Jewel and it was not until about 15 days into the cruise that I really felt like I knew my way around. On a shorter itinerary it will be difficult to master the ship. Just enjoy yourself and you'll be fine. The Jewel is a beautiful ship with a fantastic crew. Have a great cruise!!!

Port and Starboard lesson #2.

When facing the Bow of the Ship the Starboard side will be on your Right. Typically your Right arm is your stronger arm. Starboard is then your Strong side.

Your left side is Poorer, or poor arm, or Port. A long time ago the Larboard side of the ship was the Left side. The term changed to the Port side through common usage as the Larboard side was the side tied to dock or pier in Port.

The boat was steered from the right by tradition so the Starboard side with the rudder was parked away from the dock or pier while in port.

Starboard is the GREEN side while port is the RED side (the longer word is the green/right side.)

usually with the Jewel and Dawn class ships the inside action is mainly on decks 6 and 7 while the outside action decks are on 11 and above, all other decks are stateroom decks, with the exception of deck 8, mid deck 8 is blue lagoon and the other restaurants, rooms would then be forward and aft of them. And as stated before about the cabin #'s being 500 is the difference between port and starboard example xx501, xx601, xx701 on port side, xx001, xx101, xx201 on starboard side. If you can see outside always know that you are moving forward, that's the bow, turn around and face aft everything is reversed but remains the same: port would then be on your right and starboard on your left but the cabin #'s will show you where you are xx001 is forward starboard, xx299 is aft starboard.

A little OCD of me I'm sure, but I take a plastic report cover, download the deck plans for any deck that has something important on it (restaurants, medical, pool, spa, library, etc.), use Paint to circle important areas, and make a front page that lists the important areas and their locations (4 amidships or 12 forward). Then I print the whole thing out, place it inside the report cover, and take my ship atlas with me. I always know where things are, where I am, and can find my way from place to place without a problem.

DML

I was worried too as it was our first cruise, and my husband literally gets lost once he walks to the end of the street; he got lost on the 3 mile drive from my parents house today!

Don't worry about navigating the ship, although you think it might be scary with loads of floors to remember, in reality you probably only go to a quarter of them. The leaflet they give you is easy to use too. When you are on there you will easily remember that you favourite bar is on the same level as the shops, or the snacks are on the same floor as the art gallery etc. With regards to your muster station, it will be in an easy to remember place (bar, restaurant etc), and the number of the station is on your card too. Even then if anything did happen they will have the signs clearly displayed, and the staff would be able to direct you. In reality it's not like you have to run off the ship, they even suggest you collect medicines and warm clothes in a real emergency it would be easily an hour.

Don't worry about it :D

Archived