Cell Phones - Seattle & Alaska

Anyone out there be able to help me with information about cell phones that i will be able to buy in Seattle and use during our upcoming Alaska Cruise.

Flying in from Ireland and looking to buy a cheap pre-paid cell phone that can accept international calls. We arrive on 4th July so any help on where to get such a phone on this day (i will assume most places are closed for National Holiday) and sail on Friday 5th July!

Any information that you can give me would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

Most pharmacies such as CVS and Walgreens will be open on July 4th. Wall Mart generally opens at 7 am so you could go past there on your way to the ship. I would also recommend looking at EBay to get it delivered to you before you leave home. Have fun!

Just a heads up: Most prepaid phones sold in the US will only work in the US. That means Seattle and Alaska, but NOT in the Canadian waters or ports you sail through between the two.

There are many stores at SEATAC airport, so you might be able to find phones there...but don't expect any discounts at that location. :-)

thanks guys!

not too worried about canadian portion of our trip - 1 day in Prince Rupert, and i am sure while at sea the reception won't be great anyway!

Calls from my irish mobile back home will cost almost $2.00 per minute and 40c per text, but I have free international calls from my home landline hence reason for getting new pre-paid mobile for use during our holiday!

Not knowing anything about the US market - would you recommend one provider over others?

Realise Seatac airport would not be first choice to pick up a phone but over here (in Ireland) the phone companies dictate price so every shop has to sell for the same price.

thanks

Ash

You might even be able to find phones in supermarkets. Our local supermarket sells them. You could bring an unlocked phone from home. Make sure the model will be supported in the US. Quad Band is best.

Some networks (ex. AT&T Go Phone) use sim cards. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/gophone.html#fbid=g_amFfP8rnC

We have a contract with AT&T and have used the Go Phone service in the past. Other networks might also use sim cards.

Other providers are TracFone & Boost mobile. There are others but I can't think of them at this time.

The supermarket (grocery store) idea is an excellent one, as many such stores will likely be OPEN on the July 4th holiday.

TracFone is a widely available brand around here (my local market has them). There is a store-finder feature at their website. Entering postal ZIP code 98104 for downtown Seattle produces a list of many stores, mostly drug/variety or supermarkets. I would expect many of these to be open on the 4th, or certainly in the morning of the 5th before your cruise.

Good luck!

Pretty much any cell phone purchased n the US will accept calls from anywhere, you just will not be able to make calls in Canada or on the ship while using the ship's tower.

Any pharmacy, supermarket, dollar store, Wal-mart, etc, will sell you a pre-paid phone.

I suggest finding larger Wal-mart or Radio Shack, since they will likely have someone to answer your questions.

Common companies are: Virgin (virginmobileusa.com), Boost mobile, both of which work on the Sprint network.

Tracphone, At&T Go-phone. Verizon also offers a prepaid version. Wal-mart has their own phone service now, Straight-talk wireless.

If you have an unlocked cellphone using the correct frequencies, you can buy a pre-paid sim that works on AT&T or T-Mobile.

I've used Virgin before for my kids, and my stepfather stills uses them and been happy with their service. I recommend checking their website.

I would look at the prepaid phones you can buy at 7-11 stores. They cost as little as $10. The service is by

tracfone.com

so you might check online to see the rates and also the international fees. I do caution you strongly that when your on the ship you will always be ROAMING on the ships cell tower and the cost is 6-10 times higher than your 'base' rate. Only use the phone while in port and never leave it on while at sea. Most ships charge about $2.69 a minute.

Pretty much any cell phone purchased n the US will accept calls from anywhere, you just will not be able to make calls in Canada or on the ship while using the ship's tower.

Any pharmacy, supermarket, dollar store, Wal-mart, etc, will sell you a pre-paid phone.

I suggest finding larger Wal-mart or Radio Shack, since they will likely have someone to answer your questions.

Common companies are: Virgin (virginmobileusa.com), Boost mobile, both of which work on the Sprint network.

Tracphone, At&T Go-phone. Verizon also offers a prepaid version. Wal-mart has their own phone service now, Straight-talk wireless.

If you have an unlocked cellphone using the correct frequencies, you can buy a pre-paid sim that works on AT&T or T-Mobile.

I've used Virgin before for my kids, and my stepfather stills uses them and been happy with their service. I recommend checking their website.[/quote

Will the above mentioned ones work in Hawaii. Being from Canada,we usually pick up one and use it in Fl. This year we willbe in Florida 2 weeks before we cruise 15 days Hawaii.

Many thanks.

Archived