Smart Phone usage

Hikini

sorry - but to access ships wifi, you have to log into their system - could be $.75 a minute. Not free and would be way more expensive that just paying for texts as you get them.

You are correct that you have to log on to the ship WiFi while on board. I believe that I said in my comments that there could be a charge for the WiFi on the ship. But you can also purchase a package that isn't as expensive as .75 cents a minute.. And on some cruise lines your status earns you free WiFi.

Additionally, when you are in a port, there are many free WiFi areas that one can use. My grand daughter recently was calling me from France and there was no charge, zero, zip for using Viber.

When we cruise each of us always has 250 minutes of free WiFi, so it isn't a problem for us. But no one is telling you what to do. The app is free and some may appreciate the info. :)

You are correct that you have to log on to the ship WiFi while on board. I believe that I said in my comments that there could be a charge for the WiFi on the ship. But you can also purchase a package that isn't as expensive as .75 cents a minute.. And on some cruise lines your status earns you free WiFi. ..

Sorry if I (or another) responded in haste.

True, some folks get free WIFI onboard, and some find free or cheap wifi in port. Generally speaking though, very few get that. And, those that do are often wifi/internet/cell phone savvy. And, the best package for most is $.40 a minute. And, you would only get RECEIVE messages when logged in. But, if your phone is turned on, you get messages 24/7 at way less cost.

Very few get free wifi that would allow this.

I believe texting requires a data connection, either cellular or wifi

nope. basic phones can text without data plans. texting is the same as calls. emails and websites are data issues.

fwiw we shut off data on our iphones and texted and called each other no problem.l

Archived