Smart Phone usage

Hikini

I am a late comer to Smart phones. I just got an iPhone the other day, and now want to know about using it on the ship.

I've looked back through several pages and didn't see much on this, so please excuse me if there are already a bazillion Q&A about this subject!

I'm well aware of the exhorbitant charges for using the phone for phone calls in foreign waters, but am specifically wanting to know about data usage. Especially while in port. We will be cruising to AK from Seattle. Most of the time we will be in AK but we'll also have one stop in Canada.

Anyone who has stories - good or bad, please tell me! Thanks!

I am a late comer to Smart phones. I just got an iPhone the other day, and now want to know about using it on the ship.

I've looked back through several pages and didn't see much on this, so please excuse me if there are already a bazillion Q&A about this subject!

I'm well aware of the exhorbitant charges for using the phone for phone calls in foreign waters, but am specifically wanting to know about data usage. Especially while in port. We will be cruising to AK from Seattle. Most of the time we will be in AK but we'll also have one stop in Canada.

Anyone who has stories - good or bad, please tell me! Thanks!

Although you will be in AK a lot, coverage can be sketchy, especially reliable data - at least it was for me. Be sure to keep your phone in airplane mode unless you want to purposely or accidentally incur the ship's wireless fees.

If you want to tap into your carrier's data while in port, turn off the airplane mode and check to see what network is connecting, or trying to connect.

You can probably also use your smartphone to connect to any open or paid wifi spots while in port and side-step your phone carrier all together.

Good luck!

Many smartphones have an option in their setup that is basically "Never use data while roaming." This tells the phone "If you are on a roaming network, do not use the data services." The phone will not check for email, facebook updates, etc. unless it is on its "home" network.

It will still, however, use wi-fi networks for data if it finds one and authorized to connect to it. (Generally, you have to provide the authorization).

This way, your phone can still be on, and useable, but will not incur unknown data usage charges due to app chatter. However....

Please note: As with all software, bugs exist, and it is possible that, while you have this setting applied, a bug or other "feature" ("phone home" functions in many free apps) may override it, so it is not 100% foolproof.

We were in AK a couple years ago and had data usage while in port and it worked fine although a bit slower than we are used to. Check to make sure you have a nationwide plan that covers AK. Verizon also has a map of coverage and type of coverage on their website.

We are Verizon. I found that while in the Alaska port stops, that being US, my service was completely normal. However, coverage was spotty in places. While at sea, you can use you cell phone to call using the ship's cell tower (Verizon at Sea...or something like that). A call is $2.50 a minute. You can text while at sea, SMS only. That is .05c for each received, .50c for each sent. No pictures. While at sea, turn "data off" or "data off while roaming". That is where you can get huge phone bills. You can leave "Wi-Fi on" always. It will try to connect to the ship's Wi-Fi. However, you have to pay for that and it won't connect unless you do. To send and receive texts, you have to leave "voice on while roaming". However, if someone calls you, even if they leave voice mail, as long as you don't answer the call or listen to voice mail, there is no charge. Again, in the Alaskan ports, you at home plan should be in effect for all functions. Just be sure to have the data off as soon as you leave a port and before the ship turns on its cell tower.

Most of the IP part of Alaska is "Extended Digital Serivce" for Verizon voice. This means that service may be provided by other carriers but depending on your plan (like Nationwide plan) it is not charged any different than normal amd is not considered roaming. The map on the Verizon site shows most of the shoreline areas with coverage.

For WiFi - ask crew where they go in towns for free service. But as always with free services assume all data is beig snooped by someone so don't do anything sensitive or confidential - including any services requiring password.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. We always turn our phones off as soon as we leave US waters, which is about 10pm the first night. Then I don't turn them back on until we reach port about a day and a half after leaving Seattle.

I'm not worried about using the phone for phone calls or receiving texts as we've gotten used to how that works over the last 8 cruises to AK.

It's just that this "data stuff" is all new to me - I don't want to have a nasty surprise when we get home.

I've gotten good at finding free wifi spots here on land, so we've hardly used ANY data at all and are thinking about reducing what we have on our plan. I think they see "sucker" when someone buys their first smart phone and insist you need much more than you really do. With all of the free wifi you can have....at home, at work, at relatives and friends homes, Starbuck's, etc, I can't see using too much data. Except maybe while traveling.

So far we've used .031GB and are paying for 2GB.

Thanks again for your input. I value it all.

We have iphones and Verizon and had no issues using our phones for both data and cell service while in ports on our Alaska cruise. We gave a family share nationwide plan. Make sure to turn off cell service when the ship is underway or you risk getting texts or calls that will be expensive using the ship's cell service. We just put the phones on airplane mode until we got into port.

There ARE plans through verizon that you can sign up for that reduce those ship cell charges (contact verizon) if you want to use it while not in port, but they're not cheap. My suggestion is just take care of things during your days in US ports.

(For what it's worth, my AT&T ipad had far worse coverage and speed than my verizon iphone when in ports)

We have iphones and Verizon and had no issues using our phones for both data and cell service while in ports on our Alaska cruise. We gave a family share nationwide plan. Make sure to turn off cell service when the ship is underway or you risk getting texts or calls that will be expensive using the ship's cell service. We just put the phones on airplane mode until we got into port.

There ARE plans through verizon that you can sign up for that reduce those ship cell charges (contact verizon) if you want to use it while not in port, but they're not cheap. My suggestion is just take care of things during your days in US ports.

(For what it's worth, my AT&T ipad had far worse coverage and speed than my verizon iphone when in ports)

Ah Mike - my trusted friend! Nice to hear from you again. (Opened any balcony dividers lately???):D

Thanks for the input here.

Thanks.

I forgot to mention my carrier is Verizon. (Which we are also new to.)

well then..call their customer service and be sure to get someone on the ohone who is pleasant and knowledgable. This may take a few calls.

ask them to walk you...slowly thru the procedure if you want to cut off data OR if you want to buy a data package from them (you can also buy a data package from the ship )among other methods of communications.

I too am new to smart phone use, but not new to the fact that using a phone, any phone on a ship is very expensive...so when I call Verizon for guidance, I ask them how do I get calls and texts...without paying enormous phone bills....

we usually text only, but texting access can be sketchy at times on a ship as well.....we ignore our emails except for the one day we are in a US port.

If you think that a smartphone is going to make it any cheaper to use than internet on the ship or cabin phone usage, you may be sorely surprised.

If you have an emergency, then all bets are off, you call from whatever source you can and to heck with the cost, but if you are planning on frequent checks in with the family, babysitter, work, it will cost you and the most efficient way to do this would be thru texting...but CALL VERIZION FIRST.....and speak to ..A KIND AND KNOWLEGABLE person.

fwiw, you can cut off data and calls with Verizon iphones and still receive texts onboard 50 cents/5cents and from what I am told if you keep calls on, but shut data down (which is the real expensive part) and you don't answer the call and let it go to voicemail and retrieve it in a US port, you will not be charged high rates. If you are lucky and see the call coming in you will see the caller ID and be able to gauge if it is worth it to pick up the call now or send it to voicemeail.

This does come up often, but it has been awhile. And, as usual, some folks make this way more complicated than it is.

For data, turn off data roaming. That simple. (if you want ALL cellular data turned off, you have that option as well)

Airplane mode will turn off data, texting and voice services. If you are okay with a few calls or texts, do not do airplane mode.

Our phones stay turned on for most of the cruise - the only bills we get are for a few calls - less than $25. And, we are ALWAYS in touch if needed.

to do any of these switches, just ask somebody with a similar phone - there are millions out there. Way easier than calling customer no-service.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. We always turn our phones off as soon as we leave US waters, which is about 10pm the first night. Then I don't turn them back on until we reach port about a day and a half after leaving Seattle.

I'm not worried about using the phone for phone calls or receiving texts as we've gotten used to how that works over the last 8 cruises to AK.

It's just that this "data stuff" is all new to me - I don't want to have a nasty surprise when we get home.

I've gotten good at finding free wifi spots here on land, so we've hardly used ANY data at all and are thinking about reducing what we have on our plan. I think they see "sucker" when someone buys their first smart phone and insist you need much more than you really do. With all of the free wifi you can have....at home, at work, at relatives and friends homes, Starbuck's, etc, I can't see using too much data. Except maybe while traveling.

So far we've used .031GB and are paying for 2GB.

Thanks again for your input. I value it all.

just go over the procedures with Verizon for shutting down/turning back on data usage while onboard/an/or in port.

I stress be very specific that you do not want any surprises with costs and let them know the point of your call is to be sure you will not be surprised with the next bill or 2

This does come up often, but it has been awhile. And, as usual, some folks make this way more complicated than it is.

For data, turn off data roaming. That simple.

Airplane mode will turn off data, texting and voice services. If you are okay with a few calls or texts, do not do airplane mode.

Our phones stay turned on for most of the cruise - the only bills we get are for a few calls - less than $25. And, we are ALWAYS in touch if needed.

It actually is simple...we keep airplane mode off and just text and if needed will make a call...simple

as far as calls...if you don't make one you don't get charged...if you don't answer one you don't get charged..lol

data is the real issue and it goes off while onboard and in foreign ports

One word, Canada.

Make sure your data plan is OFF is you can see Canada because your phone may hit one of their towers as phone are stupid.

We have this problem in Michigan! If we get too close to the Detroit River, Lake Erie or Lake Huron on a cloudy day.... we bounce off of Canadian towers!! Apparently there's nothing that can be done so I have my phone notify me if I hit one of their towers so I don't get the extra charge. Verizon won't take the charges off the bill because there's "no way to prove we weren't in Canada"!:eek:

No need to worry about cell phone or roaming charges on the ship or in any foreign country. No need to turn off your phone unless you want to.

There is an app for iPhone that allows you to call or text from any wifi location in the world for free. I am not sure if it is available for Androids. The only charge would be for the ship WiFi

You just have to make sure that the person/s you are calling have the same app. So before you leave, just have the parties you want to call or text download the app.

It is called "Viber", and it is free, and iPhone users can download it from the iTunes app store.:)

fwiw, you can cut off data and calls with Verizon iphones and still receive texts onboard 50 cents/5cents and from what I am told if you keep calls on, but shut data down (which is the real expensive part) and you don't answer the call and let it go to voicemail and retrieve it in a US port, you will not be charged high rates. If you are lucky and see the call coming in you will see the caller ID and be able to gauge if it is worth it to pick up the call now or send it to voicemeail.

I believe texting requires a data connection, either cellular or wifi

No need to worry about cell phone or roaming charges on the ship or in any foreign country. No need to turn off your phone unless you want to.

There is an app for iPhone that allows you to call or text from any wifi location in the world for free. I am not sure if it is available for Androids. The only charge would be for the ship WiFi

You just have to make sure that the person/s you are calling have the same app. So before you leave, just have the parties you want to call or text download the app.

It is called "Viber", and it is free, and iPhone users can download it from the iTunes app store.:)

sorry - but to access ships wifi, you have to log into their system - could be $.75 a minute. Not free and would be way more expensive that just paying for texts as you get them.

I believe texting requires a data connection, either cellular or wifi

However the magic of all of it works.....texts (SMS) actually are transmitted over the voice feature of cell phone technology. So you only need voice, not data or wifi, to send and receive them.

However the magic of all of it works.....texts (SMS) actually are transmitted over the voice feature of cell phone technology. So you only need voice, not data or wifi, to send and receive them.

So correct. For those not "getting it", you do have to have the cell phone part of your phone turned on to get those texts.

Archived