Anyone Sleep on the Balcony?

Badfinger

I am seriously tempted to bring along an air mattress and sleep out on the balcony at least once...maybe more. I think I could move the chairs inside if stacking them doesn't give me the space.

I grew up in Minnesota and camped along the lakeshore and riverbanks may times. One of my favorite things to do.

Anyone ever do this? Is it allowed? Will they bring you a couple extra sheets and pillows for this?

We are on the Magic Spa Deck 11...towards the front.

I have and it's wonderful. Cool breeze, great sounds of the ocean. Smoke didn't bother us.

Expect an early morning if it's a port day. They arrive early and make noise docking.

The good part is watching the sunrise!

ENJOY!

I am seriously tempted to bring along an air mattress and sleep out on the balcony at least once...maybe more. I think I could move the chairs inside if stacking them doesn't give me the space.

I grew up in Minnesota and camped along the lakeshore and riverbanks may times. One of my favorite things to do.

Anyone ever do this? Is it allowed? Will they bring you a couple extra sheets and pillows for this?

Badfinger, Like your screen name. You should be OK as the spa balconies are non smoking:) Pink

We did it on a Royal Caribbean ship. It was cool for a bit, but it wasn't restful sleeping. We woke up groggy and feeling a bit steamrolled.

We find it way too hot to sleep on our balconies. Of course if you doing an Alaskan cruise it might be different but cruising in the Western Caribbean is a different story. Even when the ship is moving at full speed you still have hot air to contend with.

Not a good idea. No matter how high up you are the salty ocean spray will make you wake up feeling yucky!

On my first Baltic cruise I fell asleep on ours because I was totally amazed that it still light at 2 AM and wanted to stay outside. This was not a good decision. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

Not a good idea. No matter how high up you are the salty ocean spray will make you wake up feeling yucky!

On my first Baltic cruise I fell asleep on ours because I was totally amazed that it still light at 2 AM and wanted to stay outside. This was not a good decision. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~~

True, makes me wonder why the only sell Right Guard :( ,the left side always gets neglected :confused:

We were on the Breeze a few weeks ago and stayed in a Spa Balcony on deck 12. There is a sprinkler/water system that goes off above around 3:00 a.m. every morning. These balconies do NOT have a overhang/covering so you can look directly up. It was probably something to clean the upper windows but you could hear it every night since it sounded like rain. It wasn't a problem for us but you could not sleep all night out there or leave any clothing. If I booked a Spa Balcony again on the Breeze, I would book on deck 11...JMO.

I started a cruise with a cold a few years ago and ended up sleeping on the balcony as we were in an aft penthouse on another line at the time. I thought it would spare my DW and DS from waking if I coughed. Problem is, I was rudely awaken at 2 am when the water from the lido deck washing came splashing down on me. It was pleasant until the and the moist air kept me from coughing which cleared up the next day, thankfully.

Sounds nice, but I can't imagine sleeping on the balcony. In fact, our balcony on Ruby Princess last December 2012 was battered by wind, sea, and sea salt. The balconies were so coated in sea salt that they spent an entire day in port cleaning them (Princess left a letter in our cabin letting us know they might enter our cabin to access ours and other balconies for cleaning).

Picture of balcony dividers opened for cleaning:

DSCN0347.jpg.e12cae930fe66199ae77d54b2a342709.jpg

Go for it.

You will wake up that hot, sticky, humid, air, and a glaze of salt covering your body.

Probably a stiff back from being scrunched on the hard floor in a small space.

You might even get a cigarette butt dropped on you from above to make things fun.

With any luck you will get douched with the automatic washer in the middle of the night to cool you off.

It will be just like camping in Minnesota...

I've taken plenty of naps on our balcony.

In December 2011 we were on the Carnival Legend and I fell asleep on the Serenity Deck. I went up one night around midnight to look out at the stars. I decided to sit down for a minute in a clamshell chair. I was woke up by a crew member at 6:30 who was wanting to wash the deck off and move the chairs. I couldn't believe I slept all night.....it was an amazing night sleep

Go for it.

You will wake up that hot, sticky, humid, air, and a glaze of salt covering your body.

Probably a stiff back from being scrunched on the hard floor in a small space.

You might even get a cigarette butt dropped on you from above to make things fun.

With any luck you will get douched with the automatic washer in the middle of the night to cool you off.

It will be just like camping in Minnesota...[/quote]

Reminder to self , visiting Minnesota, watch for flying cigarette butts that may land on your arise ;)

last nov I could not sleep, and i slept from 4 am to 7 am in our family cabana on the Eurodam.

what a restful sleep on the huge loungers, until the crazy loud alarm that went off while the retractable roof was testing/closing/opening etc at 7.

scared the heck outta me.

I read all the other posts and most seem to think it is not a good idea. I say "GO FOR IT". I very often sleep on the balcony and I absolutely love it. Especially in the Carribean where nights are warm. I did not experience sea spray and/or any other disturbances and like you I grew up going camping so the odd disturbance won't bother us too much.

Should there be too much sea spray then there is always the cabin to go back to ;)

Archived