Breakaway TV Inputs

pyrrhus

Ok,

Been looking and just searched for the answer again. Nothing. Has NCL allowed any of he TV inputs to be enabled on the new Breakaway, if so what type?

Michael

Cabin TVs on Breakaway have HDMI Inputs (3). As I don't take devices along to connect to the TV (I'm on vacation...the LAST thing I want to do is spend my money to watch TV) I can't honestly tell you if either of the two unused inputs have been disabled.

Cabin TVs on Breakaway have HDMI Inputs (3). As I don't take devices along to connect to the TV (I'm on vacation...the LAST thing I want to do is spend my money to watch TV) I can't honestly tell you if either of the two unused inputs have been disabled.

True, but sometimes it is nice to just relax in the room and watch a movie or favorite tv show, especially right before I go to sleep. I often find the tv and movies available on the ship to not be something I am in the mood for and will watch something on my laptop or ipad. If in the future I can bring one cable and watch it on the tv like many hotels are now allowing, even better.

Michael

True, but sometimes it is nice to just relax in the room and watch a movie or favorite tv show, especially right before I go to sleep. I often find the tv and movies available on the ship to not be something I am in the mood for and will watch something on my laptop or ipad. If in the future I can bring one cable and watch it on the tv like many hotels are now allowing, even better.

Michael

No need to argue...as I stated originally it is just MY opinion, nothing more. If you want to spend your money on vacation watching TV...especially something that you are providing the input for...then, please, feel free to do so. My own opinion is that I spend too much money and my time is to important to me to watch television...especially when it is something that I could see at home. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow that is good news, we called ncl and they told me no inputs. I am sailing on Breakaway on Sunday with a 2 year old who won't understand why the tv can't get his shows :). Thanks for this info!

Wow that is good news, we called ncl and they told me no inputs. I am sailing on Breakaway on Sunday with a 2 year old who won't understand why the tv can't get his shows :). Thanks for this info!

They have inputs, but it sounds like they aren't enabled...... technically by the remote. If the flat screens end up being like the old CRT's, then you just need to bring a cheap all-n-one remote and use it to change the tv inputs.

They do have inputs, and from one of the previous sailings, someone indicated that the inputs are disabled. We had the same issue on RCL as well. What we did was bring a laptop and I downloaded some shows and videos for the little one onto a flash drive and played them that way. I do not believe that even if you brought a universal remote that you would be able to utilize the inputs-they are disabled and most likely so you have to pay to watch movies

When I sailed last week - I brought HDMI and component cables just in case (since I have a ton of shows/movies on my ipod/ipad).

The inputs are DISABLED. The TVs have both HDMI/Component, but you do not have the option to change the settings on the TV (I tried with the remote and also manually on the TV itself, no dice, does not work).

Sorry to pass on the bad news ...

I was bummed at first, but I ended up just watching my stuff on my iPad. If you have a kid you're bringing to the ship and need a distraction, might have to settle with an ipad or DVD player.

They do have Nick on the TV channels, but other than that there's not a whole lot to entertain kids.

As for the channel selection they had ESPN (which was some kind of international feed since they had a lot of soccer, rubgy etc), CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, BBC World, and one channel for TV shows and another for movies. The movie channel had stuff like Dark Knight, Avengers as well as older stuff like Pretty Woman, Field of Dreams, Armageddon, Air Force One, Back to the Future, etc.

• 8 months later...

This is a bummer. We like to travel with our Apple TV as using Airplay to mirror our iDevices is a lot better than holding an iPad in bed. Many hotels are now allowing inputs if not putting special input bars beside the TVs.

I realize the cruise lines want you to buy their movies or watch their crappy port sales shows, but this seems like a feature that could have just been "enabled" at no more expense and provided a feature many have been using for years now.

It doesn't surprise me though - they have also been slow on implementing good Internet services as well... ahhh, yea, all those people back in 2005 who preached that Internet was just a distraction are all the ones that would complain if they didn't have it now. How else are you going to Faceboast to your friends? :)

This is a bummer. We like to travel with our Apple TV as using Airplay to mirror our iDevices is a lot better than holding an iPad in bed.

do you plan to use wifi to airplay, that would get expensive not to mention it may be very very slow

I did not know they were disabled, when I was on the gem I thought the tv was broke because i couldn't get the input to work so I called the butler. he did something with the remote and it worked. I have no idea what he did but maybe all the butlers know the trick to getting it to work, can't hurt to ask

• 9 months later...

hi, just for info......

i am just off the breakaway and you can get the HDMI input to work but it is a bit invasive.

i have used this method successfully on both the Epic and Breakaway.

You simply remove the company's only HDMI input cable from the TV and replace it with your own.

Your device's output is then reflected on the screen.

This has not been extensively tested - only used an iPad 2 with an HDMI cable but it worked absolutely fine.

As an aside - I use a Seagate Wireless Plus 2Tb disk as a wireless hub and media storage all in one box - stellar all rounder. not without its quirks (and if you're using with an iOS device you need to consider video formats and / or players - both create a compromise between performance and ability to play files) but all round a good performer and 2Tb means there's no copying back and forth.

HTH

Paul

hi, just for info......

i am just off the breakaway and you can get the HDMI input to work but it is a bit invasive.

i have used this method successfully on both the Epic and Breakaway.

You simply remove the company's only HDMI input cable from the TV and replace it with your own.

Your device's output is then reflected on the screen.

This has not been extensively tested - only used an iPad 2 with an HDMI cable but it worked absolutely fine.

As an aside - I use a Seagate Wireless Plus 2Tb disk as a wireless hub and media storage all in one box - stellar all rounder. not without its quirks (and if you're using with an iOS device you need to consider video formats and / or players - both create a compromise between performance and ability to play files) but all round a good performer and 2Tb means there's no copying back and forth.

HTH

Paul

Should have said - please BE SURE to reinsert the cruise line's own HDMI cable into the TV every time when you are done. Also, you will not receive any mandatory message on the TV while you have the cruise line's HDMI disconnected!

p

I did not know they were disabled, when I was on the gem I thought the tv was broke because i couldn't get the input to work so I called the butler. he did something with the remote and it worked. I have no idea what he did but maybe all the butlers know the trick to getting it to work, can't hurt to ask

I doubt that they are physically disabling the ports on every tv, especially given your experience, so there may be some way to "enable" the ports via the correct sequence of button presses on the tv remote. If anyone knows the exact models of the tvs, this could be looked up.

If you have a butler as poster above mentions, you don't need to do anything because you will have a DVD player.

All the TV's extra connections are disabled on all NCL ships. I'm guessing if it's important enough, you can bring your own DVD player/monitor. There's plenty to do on the ship for many.

I would have thought this raises Health and Safety issues for the Cruise Line.

Every electrical item needs to be tested for compliance and safety.

They can certify as safe all equipment on board, but how can they know if equipment brought on board by passengers are safe.

I haven't read through all conditions of travel, but I'd be surprised if their isn't something in there prohibiting the use of un-certified electical equipment.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
Should have said - please BE SURE to reinsert the cruise line's own HDMI cable into the TV every time when you are done. Also, you will not receive any mandatory message on the TV while you have the cruise line's HDMI disconnected!

p

You won't receive them if the TV is off either.

By the way, this was very easy to do on the Getaway. I think I posted pic in another thread. It's not a common tv brand. The existing hdmi cable you can feel if you stick your hand from the bottom. I always put it back before I left room. You just have to make sure when you reconnect you stick it in original jack.

I agree not to waste time in room on cruise watching tv but everyone needs down time and the op wasn't asking for advice on how to best spend his or her time. People on this forum hijack threads all the time preaching unsolicited morals (in this case advice) . Especially threads on sneeking alcohol on board. No one is asking whether or not their souls will be damned if bringing ones own alcohol, they just want to know how to do it. My point is either answer the question or post some place else.

Edited by jmsnyc

Been on the BA 3 times, Insides to Balconies - in short, it can be done for Balcony staterooms where there's easier access to the bottom feed HDMI-1 port, as seen here - I used a 6' HDMI shielded cable for direct hookup to my Sony Viao. All other ports are firmware locked out of the box from OEM. (Details in our BA 2015 review)

However, I reconfirmed this in May, don't bother if you are staying Insides, as you cannot reach the HDMI port used - it's "buried" tightly behind the wall mount. It's possible to disconnect it but making a successful connection would likely need a long surgical forceps or long needle pliers with a 12"+ reach, plus a LED flashlight, a 2nd. helper would be helpful. Not worth the trouble, IMO.

Pictured below, Windows 7 Pro "casting" to HDTV (Sole is the brand)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2327%20%281024x768%29.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2245%20%281024x768%29.jpg

I believed on the newer ships that recently came out of drydock, they might've switched back to component input using a locking RG-59 ring to secure the connection, so HDMI is out of the question & with ports firmware locked. Just bring that 17" laptop.