!!! BREAKAWAY !!! To Bermuda ^_^ Our Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide!

gambee

Cool, I follow a few lines, but I might just have to start liking all of them.

Thank you :)

That is your best bet ... then start cruising on them all as well. Variety is the spice of life! I could never be loyal to just one line. Yawn.

I really enjoyed the review Gambee, sad to see it end. I do have a quick question about you your camera. I have a 4 year old Sony a230, and I am looking to either upgrade it, or get a new lens. Needless to say your photos are beautiful, and I was just wondering if you feel your camera body or lens has more impact on how great your photos are.

Thank you Chris :)

Yeah try it out, what do you use for post processing?

Nothing honestly I upload them to the computer and then to photobucket to put them in the review. But I always review them first before I post them. Like you, I am extremely picky on the quality of photos

Almost 200,000 views. Great job gambee. I DID HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!! :)

Thank you for helping to make my cruise a trip I will never forget. I truly enjoyed the months leading up to the cruise and our endless hunt for new information.

Also many thanks for extending my vacation an extra 2 weeks. I just watched her sail away again while reading this. Its a fitting end.

Edited by shaun07

I really enjoyed the review Gambee, sad to see it end. I do have a quick question about you your camera. I have a 4 year old Sony a230, and I am looking to either upgrade it, or get a new lens. Needless to say your photos are beautiful, and I was just wondering if you feel your camera body or lens has more impact on how great your photos are.

Well that is really good question.. and I am not sure how to answer it.

I love my NEX F3, and I was actually thinking of upgrading to the NEX 6, but changed my mind after playing with it. Overall I feel my camera is the perfect mix of quality vs price.

That said, I think my Zeiss lens is a big part of the quality of my pictures. That added to just some good techniques of taking pictures.

I have to say that I am a little disappointed of the quality of the pictures of this trip vs the Silli ones. But then again I was having much more fun in this cruise, I slacked a little bit in that department :D.

The thing about the Zeiss lens is the ability to work in low light very well, but for outdoors the camera performs just amazing with the kit lens.

Sorry I cannot be more specific, but that is as clear as an answer as I can give you. By the way I sold the 10-18 super wide lens.

Nothing honestly I upload them to the computer and then to photobucket to put them in the review. But I always review them first before I post them. Like you, I am extremely picky on the quality of photos

You know you can save a lot of time on the internet if you compress them a little with lightroom. The average picture goes from 5mb to about 200 kb.

Just a thought :)

I'll be choosing a cabin soon on the GETAWAY, and a couple questions.

1. Do you think it's worth the difference to go for a "mini-suite" vs a standard balcony cabin?

2. I like those forward M6 cabins on Deck 8 because of the extended balconies, but based on the damage in your photos do you think those cabins might be too risky, especially on a crossing? I don't get seasick but I don't want my balcony to become unusable either.

3. Are there any decks or sections you would avoid?

4. Are there any decks or locations that you would recommend over others?

No rush to reply as I know you're busy finishing up your review, but when you get a chance I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ernie

Almost 200,000 views. Great job gambee. I DID HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!! :)

Thank you for helping to make my cruise a trip I will never forget. I truly enjoyed the months leading up to the cruise and our endless hunt for new information.

Also many thanks for extending my vacation an extra 2 weeks. I just watched her sail away again while reading this. Its a fitting end.

You're very welcome, glad you liked the review and your cruise :D.

We also had a fantastic time!

I will post the closing comments soon.

Gambee - Your videos are incredible! I watched them all back to back, and then watched them again with my 6 year old daughter. She LOVED them and we are all so excited to go experience the ship ourselves.

All I can say is "Thank you!" for all of your hard work. You are so talented.

Looking forward to reading more of your reviews,

JoAnn

I'll be choosing a cabin soon on the GETAWAY, and a couple questions.

1. Do you think it's worth the difference to go for a "mini-suite" vs a standard balcony cabin?

2. I like those forward M6 cabins on Deck 8 because of the extended balconies, but based on the damage in your photos do you think those cabins might be too risky, especially on a crossing? I don't get seasick but I don't want my balcony to become unusable either.

3. Are there any decks or sections you would avoid?

4. Are there any decks or locations that you would recommend over others?

No rush to reply as I know you're busy finishing up your review, but when you get a chance I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Ernie

1. Do not get the mini unless you want a slightly larger bathroom, other than that we really did not notice anything other than the different color decor.

2. I would personally never get a M6, but honestly by the time Getaway comes out I am sure they will have a permanent solution to that problem.

3. Be careful with decks 12 & 13 by the kids area, there might be some running around that area. Other than that, I would never do 14, too much noise from lido deck.

4. For aft cabins 9 10 11 and 12. Other than that nothing that comes to my knowledge. Maybe deck 13 if you're planning to be over the water front, so the view is not affected that much.

Let me know if I can help u more.

Gambee - Your videos are incredible! I watched them all back to back, and then watched them again with my 6 year old daughter. She LOVED them and we are all so excited to go experience the ship ourselves.

All I can say is "Thank you!" for all of your hard work. You are so talented.

Looking forward to reading more of your reviews,

JoAnn

You're so very welcome, glad you liked them :)

Until next time =)

1. Do not get the mini unless you want a slightly larger bathroom, other than that we really did not notice anything other than the different color decor.

2. I would personally never get a M6, but honestly by the time Getaway comes out I am sure they will have a permanent solution to that problem.

3. Be careful with decks 12 & 13 by the kids area, there might be some running around that area. Other than that, I would never do 14, too much noise from lido deck.

4. For aft cabins 9 10 11 and 12. Other than that nothing that comes to my knowledge. Maybe deck 13 if you're planning to be over the water front, so the view is not affected that much.

Let me know if I can help u more.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I narrow down my selection.

Looking forward to your closing thoughts on BREAKAWAY.

It's Stella the solo traveler:)

I am now reading your Breakaway Review and enjoying it immensely! I've already read your other reviews and of course enjoyed them also. I have two cruises in the works one is Grandeur of the seas in 2014 and RCCL's newest ship the Quantum in 2015. My question to you is I know how you tell us how bored you get repeating any certain cruise ships so I was wondering if you would ever consider the Quantum? The reason I'm going is because they have added solo staterooms and some with balconies! woohoo! They have also eliminated that dreaded supplement for solo travelers in the solo staterooms. I absolutely hated that, so now i just pay regularly as one passenger and not 100% to 200% just because I was traveling solo. I hope they implement this in the future on their other ships to.

It's Stella the solo traveler:)

I am now reading your Breakaway Review and enjoying it immensely! I've already read your other reviews and of course enjoyed them also. I have two cruises in the works one is Grandeur of the seas in 2014 and RCCL's newest ship the Quantum in 2015. My question to you is I know how you tell us how bored you get repeating any certain cruise ships so I was wondering if you would ever consider the Quantum? The reason I'm going is because they have added solo staterooms and some with balconies! woohoo! They have also eliminated that dreaded supplement for solo travelers in the solo staterooms. I absolutely hated that, so now i just pay regularly as one passenger and not 100% to 200% just because I was traveling solo. I hope they implement this in the future on their other ships to.

Quantum has added Solo cabin?!?!! that is great I did not know that, thank you for sharing that with me.

I really want to do Quantum, but I think I will be doing any of those Caribbean Itineraries. I think I am going to wait until she starts traveling to Bermuda and then book her there.

RCCL, X and NCL Comparison

I will try now to fairly compare all my past cruises to each other.

Also keep into account my age. I am sure this will play a big factor in this comparison.

I am highlighting the old info in red. I simply copied it from my Silli review.

I will be basing the scores from 1 to 5.

1. Poor

2. Average

3. Good

4. Great

5. Excellent

Food:

RCCL: 3.5

X : 4

NCL : 4

So why am I scoring Breakaway higher than the Allure? Well that can easily be answered by saying that since I never visited the MDR for dinner, then automatically Breakaway wins. But that is not at all my reasoning.

While the food on the Allure was overall good, there was nothing that really stood out to me other than the steak at Chops. Everything else was tasty, but mainly, the biggest problem was that the food was not as hot as I would have wanted it to be.

Here is why Breakaway wins. I simply love the amount of alternatives that they offer. I absolutely loved their food bars, and the best part of it is that they don't charge a cover fee plus a la cart pricing (like the sushi place does in the Allure, which was a real turnoff for me).

In addition to that, I don't think I had one luke warm meal on the Breakaway. Everything was nice and hot. Even the room service was really good on the Breakaway.

The only bad meal we had was in La Cucina, and I don't think I will go back there again. I would however love to try Moderno, Chops and Blue in my next NCL cruise.

The only reason I can't score NCL with say a 4.5, is because it just simply does not compare to the Silli food. X is leading strongly in this category.

The food aboard the Allure was for the most part good, the main issue with the Allure was that most of the food came to the table warm and not hot. This was never an issue X, the food was always nice and hot. The buffet of the Allure was good and had good selections, but on the Silli there were much more choices and again everything was kept very hot and rotated frequently. Also the main restaurant on the Allure 150 was not up to par to Murano by no means. The two Dover Soles were in complete extremes, the one in the Allure was cold and fishy and the one in Murano was just PERFECT.

X was very close on getting a perfect score, but like everything there were flaws.

That first night when I got room service, the food was just very bad…

The chicken saltinboca on the MDR was not chicken saltinboca and it was really dry.

The cupcakes on Qsine, were TERRIBLE.

Mom's risotto on Tuscan was very salty.

But that is it, most of the food was outstanding. The price of the specialty dinning also comes into play, I honestly think X is charging too much for these venues. I was happy that I got the package and lowered the cost of them slightly. On the Allure specialty venues are better priced and that makes them more attractive.

Room service arrives really nice and hot in X (breakfast), again in Allure not so much. I believe I mentioned that is why decided to go more often to the buffet on the Allure.

Cabin

RCCL: 4

NCL : 3.7

You might all be wondering why I scored the cabin lower than my other two cruises. Well, I am trying to be fair and actually accounting the size of the average balcony of Breakaway into this category. Sure, if I was counting the size of the balcony we had on this cruise it would be close to 5, but I want to be fair and judge the room that matches the other two rooms.

Overall the room is very well laid out, with my only issue was with the lack of storage. Another thing to note is that I do not like the new system that deactivates all the power outlets in the room if the card is not inside it. But that is an easy fix with the dummy card that they give you to put in there.

The room itself looked more modern than the X and RCCL rooms, and that is why I am not giving it a lower score.

The average size of the balcony in this ship is a real shame; I ponder why they made the decision to do them so small. I would dare say that I would seriously consider getting an inside room instead of a balcony on my next cruise. Unless of course I can afford another aft room, in which case you will be in paradise.

I believe that the cabin on X is 12 sq feet larger than the RCCL cabin, but for some reason the X cabin felt like it lacked storage. One thing that I also miss from the Allure was the balcony light, I like working on my computer at night and I really missed that light. The bathrooms are both good but I think the shower on the X ship is a little bit larger than the Allure. I think scoring them both with a 4 is a good thing, please know that I have never traveled suite so I am just happy scoring up to balcony for now ;).

Cabin TV system

RCCL: 4.5

X : 2.5

NCL : 3.5

There are two reasons why NCL scores lower here.

1. I really like how the Allure offers the option of placing your room service orders via the TV system. Not only that, but you're also able to order breakfast that same morning. NCL does not offer that.

2. The TV programming is just pathetic. Old movies, very few TV shows in their rotating TV show channel, and a bunch of international news channels. They really need to up their game here and include more channels.

I remember the Allure offered a bunch of newer movies for free, in NCL all of the newer movies were Pay-Per-View. Although that is kind of the overall feel of the ship… if you want something, you will pay extra for it.

Aside from that I would like to say that the TV system is very fast, and extremely easy to use, unlike X. All they need is to add a few more channels and let you order from the TV and they would have a winning system in my book.

The TV system on the Allure was magical, it was so easy to use and it had all the information you could ever need. Including menus, shows, shore excursions and more. Even more than that, was the fact that it was so easy to navigate and use, placing orders was super simple.

In contrast X system is full of bugs and lacks all the information that the Allure one had. Add to that how complicated it is to place orders or activate the internet and you end up with a very lousy system.

Not to mention that we kept constantly loosing signal with the TV programing.

Sorry X you need to step up your game…

Internet

NCL: 3.8

I would dare to say that the internet is almost the same as the Allure, but the only problem is that at times it does slow down. Also keep in mind that the logout screen at times wouldn’t load. So all you have to do is type www dot logout dot com and you will log out.

You all heard me complain about the internet and trust me it was pretty bad, even Bugsy experienced that in his voyage. The internet of the Allure was very good for the most part, if I recall correctly we lost internet on one day for a few hours. I am not sure if the Silli is having issues with their system, but it definitely needs improvement.

Pools & Jacuzzi

NCL : 3.7

I am not really sure how to score this ship here. The thing is that I honestly don't think that there are enough pools and jacuzzis for the amount of people in this ship. However, in our voyage it was not bad at all. I always had room in the jacuzzi when I wanted to be in there and there was always room in the pools as well.

I am not sure if with better weather it might be much more crowded or not, but overall I found it to be adequate for out voyage. By the way, we were sailing at about 70-80% capacity.

So with little hesitation I will dare to give this ship a 3.8 in this area. I wonder if my opinion will change once I try Getaway in the summer in Florida. Only time will tell.

The one thing that does bother me a little is that NCL has a tendency to charge for everything, and it follows for Vibe. That would be free space on RCCL and X, plus they both offer the solariums that NCL lacks.

At first I was very worried that with only 6 Jacuzzis we would have problem finding space in them. But don't ask me how the two in the solarium always had space for us. Also the pool in the solarium in X is much larger than the the one on the Allure. In contrast the Allure has about 12 Jacuzzis and and 5 pools, which is enough for everyone on board. I can honestly say that ratio based both ships are able to supply their guest with enough water time to make you happy.

I will deduct this from the totals, since NCL does not have one, and I will not take points away from NCL for not having one.

Solarium

RCCL : 4.5

X : 4.3

While I absolutely loved the solarium on the Silli, those lounges and the calm of it. I still have to admit that I liked the one on the Allure just a little more, why? Well simply because it is located in the FWD and this offers 180 degrees of spectacular views. The bad part is that if it rain it is exposed unlike the solarium in the Silli where it completely covered. They are both easily comparable, but I liked the one on the Allure just a tad better.

I will split the Entertainment into two categories, activities and shows. This will make it more fair for the Silli.

Activities

RCCL : 5

NCL : 5

Honestly I am not sure what to say, if you get bored in this ship, well… There is simply so much to do at all times, that it compares completely with the Allure. NCL might even offer more game shows than the Allure, but overall they are both up to par.

They are both very fun ships!

Ok so I mean really, who has a zip line in a ship, who? who? The Allure does :D, not to mention the rock climbing wall, Flow Riders, Ice skating, carrousel ect. The Silli is rather limited in this aspect with very little in the ways of that, I think they have the basketball court and the events that they held by the pool area. It is a rather tame ship.

Shows

NCL: 4

I won’t say much here since you know I am not one for shows. But I will explain why RCCL is still leading. It is simply because of the Aqua Theater. I mean reallym how can you match the Aqua show???

I am not much of show kind of person, but in this regard I am giving the edge to the Allure simply because they have a Broadway show and a diving show in its very own theater. Add to that the ice show and you have a great deal of possibilities. The Silli has good shows with good performers, but there were a few things that I did not like.

A little something to note is that the A cappella group on the Silli was horrible compared to the Allure one (please remember I hate A cappella groups) so that must say something in itself.

I did however enjoy myself on the Silli watching the comedy shows, those are my favorites :).

Bars

RCCL : 3.5

X : 4.7

NCL : 3.5

The bars are about the same in the Allure and Breakaway, but nothing stood out like it did in the Silli cruise. So I think this is a fair score for this ship.

While the Allure does have the raising tides bar, it is simply no match for the Martini bar in the Silli. The Silli hands down wins this section, I absolute love that bar. The molecular was fine and all, but I wasn't really crazy about their drinks and they are so complex and take time to make. Gambee has no patience when I am waiting for a drink. Now imagine the entreatment factor of the martini bar combined with the rising tides bar :D. lol. Never mind to much wait waiting for bar to get there, I want my drink!

Also the sunset bar was very nice, I guess it is similar to the wipeout bar on the Allure. But the sunset had a much better vibe.

Elegance

RCCL : 3.5

X : 4.5

NCL : 4.7

WOW! Breakaway is stunning, the Allure has nothing on this ship as terms of crisp elegance. Why am I scoring it slightly higher than the Silly? Well, I thought they made excellent use of LED lights throughout the ship. And that alone sets it apart.

I loved the decor of this ship. NCL did an amazing job with it!

The S ships are among the cleanest looking ships at sea, actually I think they are my favorite ones. The same line concept follows around throughout the ship, the Allure just doesn't have that. Like I said the S class almost feels like the W Hotel and I not quite sure how to compare the Allure, maybe to a Hilton?

Lawn/central Park/Water Front (special ship Feature)

NCL: 4.7

I am surprised NCL is the first line to come up with this concept, and they have a true winner in my book. After how Epic was so enclosed, they really listened to their customers and improved on the design. This area must be absolutely amazing in a cruise to the Caribbean.

I just think that they should adjust the hours of the gelato store/Carlo's bakery, and maybe add some lounges for people to sit and read.

I honestly think both areas are useless to me, but doesn't mean that I don't appreciate them for what they are. The Allure has that beautiful Central park surrounded by great restaurants, but it lacks that connection with the ocean. While X has that connection with the ocean but again the grass just have no point for me. One thing that puzzled me why don't they have a different setup and had the cabanas facing towards the ocean to make them more private and with a better view.

Service

X : 4.5

NCL :2.5

Here is where NCL is way behind. I should not have been addressed the way I was in this cruise. They really need a lot of improvement in this area.

The overall feel of the ship was not the same as the Allure where the crew just felt proud of their vessel. There was a feeling of disconnection of the staff with the ship.

The only reason I am not scoring Breakaway lower was because of our fantastic stewardess, and a few great servers in the Bistro, Teppa and Raw Bar. But overall I think this is where NCL falls behind RCCL and X. They really need improvement in this area.

Both ships shinned in this sector, while X did not have Gilbert, they were still a solid team and one that I was very glad to have.

Other than the night at Tuscan the waiters were all spectacular (Like I said he was not bad, just a little slow for our taste) and in the Allure all our waiters were great with the exception of the night 150 when we felt like we were second class. I was very glad that our servers in Murano were not like the one in 150, they were actually so nice and friendly.

Total count

RCCL 45.5

X 41.7

NCL 43.1

Just like I thought. The funny thing is that I swear to you, I did not adjust these numbers. It is just how it came up as I was adding the scores.

Conclusion

Ok let’s see… so as you can see Breakaway scored in second place, and that is exactly how I feel. NCL has an incredible product and one that delivers. I absolutely loved Breakaway, and I cannot tell you how excited I am to get Getaway here in Miami next year!

Everything about the ship is just stunning; I was very much impressed by it. And all those worries that I had prior boarding started to disappear as I saw how the ship actually worked. I was very worried about the ship feeling overly crowded, and that I would not be able to use the jacuzzis, ect. I am not sure how, but NCL did just as good as a job as RCCL did with distributing the crowds throughout the ship.

NCL is by far the line that nickled and dimed the most out of any line that I have been on. Not only that, but they seemed to be in a process of adjusting prices and everything seemed to go up in our cruise in particular. I am not a fan of this, but then again, you don't have to purchase anything if you don't want to. It is all about choices… and NCL gives you lots of them.

My huge problem with NCL was their Guest Relations service. That put such a dent on the cruise that it simply could not compete against the Allure. I would not have been treated that way in the Allure. The service, as I said, also lacks, but hopefully that will be improved upon with time.

The energy that this ship radiates is crazy, and not only that but the amount of activities offered is just about enough to keep everyone entertained. They do a great job at it! My guess is that Julie is the one in charge of this. And like I said, Julie does one amazing job. Great job Julie! Maybe next time we can actually have a better encounter =).

I had a great time in this cruise, and I would dare say that I had possibly more fun in this cruise that in the Allure. But encompassing the entire experience, this cruise just falls slightly behind.

I am sure you noticed that the Allure might of won if you go by score factor and I think that I still have the Allure as my favorite ship ever, I actually think it will be quite hard to get down from his throne. There is just so much to do in that ship that it is hard not to fall in love with it.

That said, we loved the Silhouette and had a grand time. Sure the weather could of been better and our neighbors were not the best, but we still had an excellent vacation.

I will certainly consider X for a future cruise, I think that it would be an ideal ship to cruise say Europe or Alaska. I could totally see myself traveling around Europe on this incredible ship.

Will I do it again in the near future? I don't think so, I get bored easily and once I've seen it I want to do something new, the same goes for the Allure. Right after my NCL Breakaway cruise, I will be interested in trying the Carnival Breeze, Royal Princess and Quantum of the Seas. We will see if I am lucky enough to do all 3.

Thank you!

I want to thank all of you for being a part of this. Reviews as such would be nothing without my followers. The more reviews I do, the more I realize how much work it takes to do them. Right now I am exhausted and I can't wait to fully relax again on a day off. I plan on reviewing the Breeze in August, but I think I am going to tackle that cruise differently. I will take advantage that Sarah is doing most of the planning, and just go and relax. Sorry Sarah, I am just beat right now. I need a cruise were I have little in the works of planning :D.

Once again, thank you all very much for following our adventure, I truly appreciate it! Getting to almost 200k views in weeks is not easy, and that is all thanks to everyone in here.

A special thank you to Sarah for editing this last section, I am beat and really could not do it.

And also to pcreek for sending me that amazing Breakaway Coin. Thank you. I have a full collection now =)

P6090006_zpscc42d73e.jpg

Also special thanks to my FB friend who invited me to Starbucks =), yum yum. I rather not type the name of the person for privacy.

Until next time ;-)…

Gambee thanks again for this great review and wonderful pictures. I think your scoring and comparison was very fair. Somehow I felt you would still give the edge to Allure But obviously there was not a big difference between all three in scoring.

I won't be able to compare Oasis(Or Allure which is coming up in just over 5 months), Silhouette, and Breakaway till I sail on Breakaway. I dare say your review got me interested in trying it out again :)

Gambee thanks again for this great review and wonderful pictures. I think your scoring and comparison was very fair. Somehow I felt you would still give the edge to Allure But obviously there was not a big difference between all three in scoring.

I won't be able to compare Oasis(Or Allure which is coming up in just over 5 months), Silhouette, and Breakaway till I sail on Breakaway. I dare say your review got me interested in trying it out again :)

You should really consider the ship, it is truly an amazing vessel. I hope the Getaway is even better.

I love my NEX F3, and I was actually thinking of upgrading to the NEX 6, but changed my mind after playing with it. Overall I feel my camera is the perfect mix of quality vs price.

Gambee, I can't believe you are changing your mind after recommending I purchase the NEX 6 over the NEX 5!!! :eek:

I did a comparison and the one thing I wasn't sure about was the 180 degree tilt screen on the NEX 5... does the NEX 6 have the same feature? I do agree the built in flash is a plus on the NEX 6.

Ok, now that is over... your review is completely awesome! I enjoyed reading through the entire thread. It makes me want to go back to Bermuda - it's been 20 years since the last time I was there.

Gambee, I can't believe you are changing your mind after recommending I purchase the NEX 6 over the NEX 5!!! :eek:

I did a comparison and the one thing I wasn't sure about was the 180 degree tilt screen on the NEX 5... does the NEX 6 have the same feature? I do agree the built in flash is a plus on the NEX 6.

Ok, now that is over... your review is completely awesome! I enjoyed reading through the entire thread. It makes me want to go back to Bermuda - it's been 20 years since the last time I was there.

lol, wait a minute, the F3 vs the 6 is a big gap in price, so I prefer mine.

But I truly believe that the 6 is a much better product than the 5, specially with all the extra features. Plus the price gap is not as large as the the f3 vs the 6.

Edited by gambee

My heartfelt thanks to you for this amazing travelogue. I am astonished by the amount of work you have done. It is truly appreciated; hope to meet you someday!:)

Thank you, I hope all my work is appreciated by many. Now time to rest... ZZZzzzzzzzzz......