Maps and GPS

C cruzer

Do the ABC stores on Oahu have maps for all the islands, or should I try to get them on line before we leave? And how good was your Iphone GPS service on the islands? Thanks for any help, this is like a puzzle putting this all together!

When you rent a car, the agency will give you a Hawaii Drive Guide for each island ... the maps in there should be sufficient. Here's the on-line version ... exactly what you'll get in print. On the right side of that page you'll see links to detailed maps of various areas on the island.

To see the guides for the other islands click here ... then choose the island that you want, and click on either "Contents" or "Pages Index" at the top left side of the page to find the map pages.

Another thing I like to do is map out directions to some locations on google maps, print it and bring it with me.

Google maps for the iPhone was spot on every single place we went. I would be a bit more leery of reception depending on your carrier. I have Verizon and only lost service one, in the middle of the road to Hana. I heard other pax that had AT&T and one with T-Mobile say they had some issues.

Just as a FYI Hawaii just enacted a law that forbids you to TOUCH your phone while driving....calling, texting, or using it as a GPS. I got pulled over in Honolulu and said I was sorry and wasn't aware. They let me off with an Aloha and a don't do it again :)

I wonder what would happen if you had a holder for the iPhone like the ones you get with a "regular" GPS and had it attached to the window or dash? Or, what would happen if you used your iPad Mini Maps app to be your GPS guide? It's NOT a phone...

Here is an idea that all of you may want to consider; CoPilot Live. http://www.copilotlive.com/us/

With CoPilot Live the maps are downloaded and saved on your device (phone or tablet) so you do not need any cell phone service at all, just GPS. You get great maps and local points of interest, turn by turn verbal instructions (device speaker or to any Bluetooth device), all without any phone service (or data plan usage). I have been testing CoPilot Live in Houston for a couple months now and it works great and does not use any of my data plan's data.

If you do turn-on your data service you can get vocal street names, and a couple other minor things, but it still uses very little data (the maps -data hogs- are already on your phone/tablet). Well worth considering if you use GPS mapping and do not like it eating up your data plan!

Archived