Sapphire Beach

UncAl618

I've been to Magen's Bay a number of times, but I'm looking to go to a different beach this time. Can anyone tell me about Sapphire Beach and what it's like. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I've been to Magen's Bay a number of times, but I'm looking to go to a different beach this time. Can anyone tell me about Sapphire Beach and what it's like. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

It's a really nice quite bech but you may want to check the st Thomas ports of call board

I was just there in March. Very pretty, BUT...huge drop off when entering the water!! Several people fell getting in the water and fell hard getting out. It was not fun:(

Snorkelling was horrible that day too. Unless you are thrilled by seagrass:mad:

there were a few food options (very pricey though). we skipped it and ate elsewhere.

lots of "wildlife" wandering around:)

chairs were $7 each to rent:rolleyes: and they were not in the best of conditions.

very pretty beach...but we wont return.

Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and they will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxi to Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach. Sapphire Beach is a gorgeous white sand beach with lots of shade trees and awesome views of several nearby islands including St. John. The snorkeling is good. We saw several schools of fish (previously unknown to us), an eel, and a small stingray. Unpadded beach lounge chairs are $5 each if you want to rent one, or free if you just occupy one of the many chairs abandoned by their previous inhabitants. A dive shop, bar and grill, and restrooms are available. Some water sports are also available. Pick up the taxi again where it dropped you off.

More Secrets of the Caribbean: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

I had a wonderful day at Sapphire beach. I don't know how much the loungers were, I just used a blanket on the sand. Brought my own snorkel gear and had great snorkeling! When you enter the water, towards the left is much sea grass and to the right is rock and coral. I ordered lunch from a girl walking on the beach, I assume she worked at the snack shack there. For $10 I got a huge ham&cheese sub with chips and a pickle. I ordered beers from the stand with a local lady instead of the bar. Here's a few pictures:

563602_312023558899811_1010220915_n.jpg

156140_312023728899794_116960781_n.jpg

576257_312023758899791_1144972731_n.jpg

63729_312023882233112_1954872837_n.jpg

399222_312024015566432_1178572917_n.jpg

563828_312023815566452_162100534_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We stay at the Sapphire Resort and Sapphire is gorgeous and the only beach offering abundant shade along the water. Restrooms are fine and you will find any amenities you want. We've never seen a drop off when entering the water, very easy entry and easy for off the beach snorkeling.

Sapphire just has so much more character than Magens, for example. Beautiful water colors and island views. The Banana Cabana serves a great mahi mahi sandwich, and beer and rum punches are cheaper at the dive center.

We've seen ppl walking up the hill from Sapphire to the road and waiting in vain for the "$2 bus" and I would not suggest that for most folks, just grab a $10 taxi at the dock and get dropped at the beach and relax.

We've seen ppl walking up the hill from Sapphire to the road and waiting in vain for the "$2 bus" and I would not suggest that for most folks, just grab a $10 taxi at the dock and get dropped at the beach and relax.

Just got back from Sapphire. It is beautiful as always. Taxi is $11pp (coming and going) Round trip for 2 was $44:eek:

Archived