Solstice Alaska 17 May 2013 Sailing: Celebrity Today (Dailies)

gw2fll

Thanks! This really helps us to prepare for our 6/21 Solstice sailing.

One thing that hit me immediately was the map of the voyage shown on the first day. We choose this sailing since Celebrity's website shows the southbound return to Seattle using the inside route between Vancouver Island and the B.C. Mainland. But the Solstice Today map show the Pacifc route (outside) in both directions. Did your sailing not sail inside? If outside, was there any mention of a change?

Appreciate your posts.

Did they clarify when Solstice would tender? Every time of every other ? Just curious.

Amy

I don't know how much truth to this is, but from what I overheard - Solstice would alternate tender in Juneau with another line. (We tendered which was extremely time consuming. Solstice used her life boats for the tendering process instead of larger port tenders used in Cayman, etc.)

The day we were in Juneau Holland America had two ships docked. In my opinion, they should have only been able to use one slot with the other to Celebrity. (We had two ships from Holland America and one from Princess.)

Will be interesting to hear how this week goes for the cruise to get a better idea.

Thanks so much for taking the time to scan and post the Celebrity Todays; it is most helpful and answers so many questions the other 16 family members have been asking about! Your timing could not have been more perfect; we are so looking forward to our departure on the 14th.

Do you know if the complete upper level of MDR was for Select Dining or only a portion?

The question on heat (from poster above) in Solarium Pool - I have never been on ship (S or M class) where SP was not heated. The solarium air temp has differed but maybe due to the climate we were cruising but it has always been very comfortable.

We were on the Solstice between May 6th and May 15th on the Pacific Coast Cruise. We had select dining and the balcony in the MDR was used exclusively for select dining. We found out most people tried to eat early so that they could get to the early show at 8 PM. If you do not get in the select dining line in the first 30 minutes, you will need to wait until a table becomes available after other guests are done with dinner. We discovered if you showed up after 7:30 PM, there seldom was a wait and it was no longer a zoo... plus the 10 PM show had alot of seats available unlike the 8 PM show which tended to be standing room only.

The Solarium is a nice place to spend time. The air is comfortable and the pool is heated. Plus, they serve you cocktails in there (a good thing with the complimentry drink package) and there are no kids to spoil the quiet setting.

These scans were exactly what we were hoping to see before we go. I have read them once, and will probably do so again before we sail. Thanks for taking the time and effort!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for scanning and posting. We will be on the 6/28 cruise so I am sure everything will be the same. Since we have been to Victoria before, we probably will be on the ship. Is there much available for those who will be on the ship that night? Also, will the ship dock close enough that we can walk into the town for awhile?

Thank you for taking the time to share with all of us! I was looking for the day and time of the Brunch in the MDR and found it, thanks to you!!! :)

I missed seeing this. What day is the brunch?

Thanks for scanning and posting. We will be on the 6/28 cruise so I am sure everything will be the same. Since we have been to Victoria before, we probably will be on the ship. Is there much available for those who will be on the ship that night? Also, will the ship dock close enough that we can walk into the town for awhile?

I missed seeing this. What day is the brunch?

As you see in the Daily for that day, a lot closes when the ship docks - including bars.

We remained on the ship and finished packing and then relaxed. From what we understand it is a pretty good walk to the shops, etc. I thought I heard there were shuttles available for a fee.

Just got back from the Solstice.

there are shuttles as well as taxis to Victoria. Depending on how many in your party, the taxis may be a better deal. The shuttles were $10/pp roundtrip. The taxis were about $9 to the Empress, no matter how many people in your group.

Dinner was open seating that night in the main dining room at 5:00. We went at 5:00, by the time were done at 7:00 ish, we were cleared to go ashore and there was no line.

Also, if you do any shopping....they accept US dollars, but only give change back in Canadian.

Victoria is really pretty, especially at night when the buildings are all lit up.

Thanks Susan. I do have a question about dinner on the last night. How late do they serve dinner? We have been to Victoria and spent the night there. We were thinking about getting off the ship and walk around for awhile and then coming back for dinner. We have late seating so I was wondering if we could still eat late that night. Also, how long does it take to get to town? Is it walkable?

There is no fixed dinner seating (early or late seating) in the MDR on the night in Victoria. It is open seating starting at 5:00. We went right at 5, were done by 7 and got right off the ship, no waiting in line. The dinner buffet was open from 5-10 pm in Oceanview Café and the speciality restaurants were also open until 10:00 pm. Bistro on 5 was open until 12:30. I think room service closed at midnight, but I can't remember that for sure.

It is walkable, but I would estimate it would take 30+ minutes.

If you take a taxi, it will get you there in 5 minutes. There is also a shuttle and the city bus, but then you have to wait for their schedule. The taxis will accept US dollars.

All aboard was 11:45, but unless you are taking your own luggage off the ship in the morning, you will have to have your luggage outside your stateroom by 11:00.

There were TONS of restaurants in Victoria, especially if you like Indian or Thai food. My original plan was to eat at the Empress Hotel, their curry dinner buffet, but since the MDR opened at 5, we just ate on the ship.

Thanks Susan. I know that there are so many good restaurants in Victoria. My DH and I spent some time there and went to many of them. We are not booking an excusion and will probably just go into the downtown area and walk around. Thanks for your input.

• 7 months later...

Thank you SO much for your efforts in collecting, scanning, and posting these dailies. We are booked on the Solstice (our first time on Celebrity) at a similar time frame here in 2014 (5/23), and I have been looking for these, but have only been able to find prints for the ship's FL and Oz sailings. So this was perfect. Thanks again!

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...