Help from experienced cruisers - Reschedule?

Karmalady

We have cruised quite a few times and have never purchased the insurance.:confused: I realize it is probably a good idea to do so.

We are scheduled to cruise June 8 and my MIL has had a bad fall. Right before cruising, we are in the middle of placing her in rehabilitation and then possibly long term care. She is 93, and has been living independently and up until now has been the poster child for the elderly.

Anyway, it is our hope she will make this transition as well as she has taken all other obstacles. She will be in a safe environment with care. I have been feeling confident, but what if we are unable to go?

Will Carnival let us reschedule without insurance or do we lose everything? We have also paid for excursions and bon voyage purchases.

Thanks for any info you might have.

Pam

I think you are in the 100% cancellation period but it never hurts to call and discuss your options.

Besides the fall, is your MIL in good health and spirits? If so, I think I would still go if there are other relatives that can assist her in your absence. If you are her only caregivers, you may not feel comfortable with that. Talk to your MIL, she may tell you to still go and have a great time.

But as far as rescheduling or obtaining a refund, I think you will only be allowed to if you happen to get a sympathetic ear at Carnival because I don't think they will be obligated to do either.

I think you are in the 100% cancellation period but it never hurts to call and discuss your options.

Besides the fall, is your MIL in good health and spirits? If so, I think I would still go if there are other relatives that can assist her in your absence. If you are her only caregivers, you may not feel comfortable with that. Talk to your MIL, she may tell you to still go and have a great time.

But as far as rescheduling or obtaining a refund, I think you will only be allowed to if you happen to get a sympathetic ear at Carnival because I don't think they will be obligated to do either.

Thank you for answering! MIL wants us to go; it is a retirement celebration cruise. I realize it's not as important as her welfare but it is important too! We are her primary care givers but there is a string of people we can call to assist. I have been putting it out there that all will work out as it should but truthfully we need to see she is okay before we leave and it's a day to day process....one moment at a time. I'm turning this over to the man upstairs. Thank you!

We have cruised quite a few times and have never purchased the insurance.:confused: I realize it is probably a good idea to do so.

We are scheduled to cruise June 8 and my MIL has had a bad fall. Right before cruising, we are in the middle of placing her in rehabilitation and then possibly long term care. She is 93, and has been living independently and up until now has been the poster child for the elderly.

Anyway, it is our hope she will make this transition as well as she has taken all other obstacles. She will be in a safe environment with care. I have been feeling confident, but what if we are unable to go?

Will Carnival let us reschedule without insurance or do we lose everything? We have also paid for excursions and bon voyage purchases.

Pam

You are in the penalty phase so my guess is, if you don't go you lose. It is the risk you took when you didn't purchase insurance. Let me tell you from experience, it makes the decision not to go a lot easier when you have insurance. My DGM passed away the day before one of our scheduled cruises. Because we had insurance, we had an easier decision to turn around and to go home, even though all of our relatives were telling us to go anyways.

FWIW....If MIL is being taken care of and she is not in a life threatening condition, then I would go and enjoy my cruise. Prayers for your MIL.

Pam

Yes, you would lose everything except the excursions & possibly Bon Voyage purchases.

However, it may not be too late to purchase some kind of insurance. Pre-existing conditions would not be covered at this late date. I'm not sure how it would be handles as far as your MIL's situation.

My Mom who is 96 had a bad fall last year and was in rehab for ten days and then in a nursing home for eight weeks even though she was being taken care of she needed to have someone available to take care of laundry ,and assist with the transfer to the nursing home . By the way my Mom's fall happened while I was on a cruise but luckily had insurance which covered my leaving the ship and getting to my Mom's side.

I'm with everyone else, you are most likely going to lose out if you have to reschedule. And as for the insurance, they may not have covered this anyway, depending on your MILs actual medical condition at the time of your actual departure.

Good luck and I hope your MIL feels better soon!

Go and enjoy yourself. She's in good hands.

My dad was in a nursing home for 8 years. My mom, my sister, and I all continued to vacation, including cruises, honeymoons, Mexico, Europe, and didn't worry about the what if. It's no way to live life. In all those years the most that happened when anyone was away was they called me in the middle of the night while my mom was away at my sister's to tell me my dad fell out of bed. Have faith that your loved one will be well taken care of until your arrival should something happen, and have more faith that nothing will happen.

My sister had a cruise scheduled and our dad wound up in the hospital very ill just a week before her cruise. She was ready to cancel but Dad was adamant that she go on with her vacation. He got upset when she just mentioned cancelling it.

So she went on just to keep from upsetting him. I emailed her very early every morning about his condition and she checked her email on the ship.

He improved and was home before she was and she and her friends had a wonderful time.

So if your mom wants you to go and you know she will have good care. Then go!!

God bless and prayers for your mom's recovery!

Wow thank you everybody! And yes, trust me I have learned the lesson on purchasing insurance. :p

This started about 8 days ago. I have had faith that she will be in rehab/nursing facility by the time we leave and will be in good spirits and all will be on go. She wants us to go. But you know how the creepy doubts come up,...my worry mode has taken over. I'm gonna regroup and have faith all will work out.

It is a huge help to hear all your responses...it really is a comforting help! :)

Pam

Archived