Hotel in Hong Kong

mprcruiser

If AcaCandy checks their power supply as Philob recommends, they can be sure whether or not they need to. I'd be astonished if they do in order to power a modern computer.

The advantage of being sure is that a simple adapter that doesn't include a transformer is a very compact and lightweight device.

I am *sure* that I do not need the 220 to 110 conversion adapter.

The other, I have a whole set of adapters, and they are never where I need them. Really hate to buy another set (or the one that was posted) if I don't need it. I have too much crap that I don't use already :eek::eek:

Edited by AcaCandy

I have another question, on the hotel website (Salisbury) it indicates this:

Transportation

•Free shuttle from Airport Express stops across the street

Is that from the airport? or?

No. The Airport Express is the fast train from the airport. Relevantly for the Y, if you get off at Kowloon station you can then get a free shuttle bus that takes you to your hotel. There's a number of different routes, each stopping at a number of hotels, so you need to know which one goes to your hotel. More details here: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html, including a handy lookup table for which route and stop are closest for each hotel.

Thank you so very much for your quick reply :)

EDIT: I don't see Kowloon Station on the listing? Where would I get off for the Y hotel?

SECOND EDIT: ok, it appears K2, correct?

Edited by AcaCandy

I have another question, on the hotel website (Salisbury) it indicates this:

Transportation

•Free shuttle from Airport Express stops across the street

Is that from the airport? or?

We took the bus from the airport that the Salisbury has listed on its website. I forget what it cost but we checked in at a kiosk at the airport, they called us, boarded the bus and we were taken to the front door of the Salisbury. The charge was on our bill from the Salisbury.

EDIT: I don't see Kowloon Station on the listing? Where would I get off for the Y hotel?

SECOND EDIT: ok, it appears K2, correct?

Yes: route K2, stop 4 for the Kowloon Hotel and the Peninsula (which are basically next door to each other, just as the Peninsula is next door to the Y).

It's as the Y's website says:-

Option 1 - By Airport Rail Express

The Airport Rail Express takes about 21 minutes from The Airport to Kowloon Station. It operates from 5:50 am to 12:45 midnight, with trains leaving every 12 minutes. The fare is HK$90 (subject to change without prior notice).

Airpore Express Shuttle Bus: Shuttles buses are available free of charge at Kowloon Station from 6:15 am to 11:10 pm. Please take route K2 and get off at The Kowloon Hotel which is across the street from The Salisbury.

We took the bus from the airport that the Salisbury has listed on its website. I forget what it cost but we checked in at a kiosk at the airport, they called us, boarded the bus and we were taken to the front door of the Salisbury. The charge was on our bill from the Salisbury.
Just for clarity, so that nobody else is confused. This is option 3 on the Y's website, and is not the same as the free shuttle bus from the Airport Express station.

Thanks but dealing with 4 suit cases might be a problem (93) day cruise.. OR is it not ???

Depends, I deal with 6 32", 2 each, me, SWMBO, KID (6yr), plus backpacks (camera, laptops, & tablets)... :( ...every other year when we visit SWMBO's family :) When we go to the HK train station, we take two taxis, one for them and second one for me and the luggage :cool:

Which reminds me; "other year" is coming up.

Edited by Philob

Thanks but dealing with 4 suit cases might be a problem (93) day cruise.. OR is it not ???

To answer your original question, the alternatives would be taxi, bus, or limo.

You'll still have to schlep your luggage to the pickup areas.

Airport Express is in the terminal, costs $100HK, about $20US pp one-way.

Taxi is slightly more, $230+HK, more if traffic is bad.

To answer your original question, the alternatives would be taxi, bus, or limo.

You'll still have to schlep your luggage to the pickup areas.

Airport Express is in the terminal, costs $100HK, about $20US pp one-way.

Taxi is slightly more, $230+HK, more if traffic is bad.

, So what you are teaching me is that for 50$ US we can go like a king by cab for this big trip ARE the cab large for 4 suit case???and 2 people ?? We are getting the Marriott hotel free with Marriott points for 3 night's> We opened two credit cards and got 70.000 points each

Edited by we're sailing away....

So what you are teaching me is that for 50$ US we can go like a king by cab for this big trip
You don't have any experience of taxis in Hong Kong, do you? :) They're plentiful and safe, but don't expect regal comfort.

Four full size suitcases in a cab will probably see the deployment of a number of bungee cords to keep them inside the boot (trunk), as the lid won't shut.

Yes: route K2, stop 4 for the Kowloon Hotel and the Peninsula (which are basically next door to each other, just as the Peninsula is next door to the Y).

It's as the Y's website says:-

Thank you for your reply. I booked thru a 3rd party with a substantial discount from what they show on their website (in conjunction with my airline reservation), so I didn't actually go to the "Y" website per say, and missed that information.

I haven't and I don't know anyone who has, but I can't immediately see any good reasons why a tourist would want to stay in that area. It's a little bit off the beaten track.

But the TripAdvisor reviews are pretty good and the hotel has a free shuttle to the TST area. Ladies Market is nearby.

We used to have relatives in the area on Sai Yeung Choi St (between the hotel and Nathan Rd) and is/was pretty much a "locals" area.

But the TripAdvisor reviews are pretty good and the hotel has a free shuttle to the TST area. Ladies Market is nearby.

We used to have relatives in the area on Sai Yeung Choi St (between the hotel and Nathan Rd) and is/was pretty much a "locals" area.

I don't see any problem with that area as it is so easy to get elsewhere with the MTR plus your free shuttle. Plenty of places to shop and eat:)

• 1 month later...
Has anyone stayed at the Metropark in Kowloon??

This hotel is in ths Mong Kok area of Kowloon and we stay up there.

If you can stretch your budget a bit I would suggest the Royal Plaza Hotel just up the road, it has a shopping plaza a food court and the east Mong Kok MTR all in the same building.

Alot of hotel for your money.