Belize--recommended things to do in port

hockeygal54

We are coming in first week of Jan on Princess, arrival 7, depart 5P so looking for something to do besides nothing @ the pier or spend lots of $$ on ship excursions. It is myself (female, late 50's), almost 24 y/o DD and her BF who will be 33 and is bilingual. Just threw that in since I'm thinking his physical presence and spanish language skills will go a long way on this itenerary! I've been to Belize before but didn't make it past the pier cause we sailed all day on prior port day in Roatan, drank too much cerveza and got too much sun!! :mad::mad::mad:

In Belize you really need to take an excursion, ship or private. It is not a good "do your own thing" port. English is the "official" language of Belize, but most natives speak a patois among themselves. Not sure if Spanish would help more than English.

Agree with above. We were just there and had a nightmare excursion with Coral Breeze, although we do prefer independent tours, except no more in Belize. We were there last year and did a ship excursion to Bannister Island and enjoyed it, nice boat ride there and back also, and does not cost much.Click on photos.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/521/sany1977.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/sany1961.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/sany1985.jpg/

• 2 months later...
In Belize you really need to take an excursion, ship or private. It is not a good "do your own thing" port. English is the "official" language of Belize, but most natives speak a patois among themselves. Not sure if Spanish would help more than English.

They speak a dialect of Portuguese.

Spanish is good in the northern area's closer to Mexico and North of Belize city. However everyone understands two languages very well. One, English (except some Indian groups) and two, a Caribbean Creole.

We took a city tour our first time there from the pier. There were some young black street workers doing road repairs. I walked away from the cab about one block to take a picture of a church. I heard there conversation in Creole. As I passed them I said hello and they stopped and replied and we had a great conversation with them speaking in the most perfect Queen's English. I did not expect that.

I would not be afraid to leave the pier area. We have done that several times. It has been cleaned up since our first trip there. Even if you walk to the end and go across the Queen's swing bridge. There are some wonderful shops, not touristy there and you get some of the local flavor with the street venders. It is a great experience. There is a British military outpost about two blocks up and you see them running that street all the time.

My wife took a pic from the middle of that bridge looking out into the harbor with all the sailboats in the middle of the river. I had a friend do a painting of that photo for one of her birthdays. Our friends here from Belize see it and are amazed that it is such a true picture.. It is really a picturesque site.

Archived