Spirit - Marina Day info and platform access?

I will be on the Spirit in the Adriatic in about 40 days.While this Forum has some helpful information on the Marina Day and the printed brochure identifies the specific Greek port & day, there is not much information on the actual events in a typical Med marina day (start, duration, events, components requiring reservations, etc). I have seen some photos of the netted pool and the bannana boat ride. Also, a close inspection of the deck plan does not indicate how you get to the marina platform. (It probably is not by thru the galley and the stern stairs do not appear to go to that part of the third deck.). It sounds like a lot of fun. I certainly plan to participate (weather permitting). I am just curious about some additional details.

I will be on the Spirit in the Adriatic in about 40 days.While this Forum has some helpful information on the Marina Day and the printed brochure identifies the specific Greek port & day, there is not much information on the actual events in a typical Med marina day (start, duration, events, components requiring reservations, etc). I have seen some photos of the netted pool and the bannana boat ride. Also, a close inspection of the deck plan does not indicate how you get to the marina platform. (It probably is not by thru the galley and the stern stairs do not appear to go to that part of the third deck.). It sounds like a lot of fun. I certainly plan to participate (weather permitting). I am just curious about some additional details.

I'll try and answer your questions. The marina days we have enjoyed have usually happened in the afternoon, from about 1pm til about 3.30pm. You sign disclaimers etc and get a wristband. You access the marina through the show lounge and down through a bit of a "mechanical area". This is also the route to the tender boats when tendering ashore. Towels are down there with chairs to leave your clothes on. Swimming cage, banana boat, kayaks, tube type large seat for 2 pulled by a speed boat, pedaloes, rides in the speedboat are some of the things I can remember. One time they allowed us to swim in the open sea when all the craft was away. Anyone can go down and watch without taking part. They take names when there is a queue for the rides and then call you for your turn. Life jackets are provided and are compulsory apart from in the swimming cage. It is great fun and we have found both the Med and the Adriatic nice and warm and very buoyant. You will really enjoy it!:)

Thank you Margbem and Chairsin.

I have read 2 blogs from similar Spirit sailings in 2012, where the writers refer to signing up early for specific events for that day. Does that mean entering your name on a reservation list for the bannana boat ride, etc?

It's a maze through some of the "working" areas of the ship (unsightly and smelly), but well worth it for the banana boat and water skiiing.

Water skiing? I wasn't expecting that.

Thank you Margbem and Chairsin.

I have read 2 blogs from similar Spirit sailings in 2012, where the writers refer to signing up early for specific events for that day. Does that mean entering your name on a reservation list for the bannana boat ride, etc?

We have never put names down early, just whilst down there and not had long to wait for each ride. The banana boat seems to be the most popular. Can remember water skiing but never had a go. Also, never found the area you walk through to be smelly, just clean but engine type machinery there and spotlessly clean. The worst bit can be passing the crew outside smoking area but I'm not opening up that can of worms!!

We have never put names down early, just whilst down there and not had long to wait for each ride. The banana boat seems to be the most popular. Can remember water skiing but never had a go. Also, never found the area you walk through to be smelly, just clean but engine type machinery there and spotlessly clean. The worst bit can be passing the crew outside smoking area but I'm not opening up that can of worms!!

I agree with the poster about the area being malodororous; garbage, and because it was warm and humid, kind of like, well, no need to explain. Be thankful you did not experience that.

I agree with the poster about the area being malodororous; garbage, and because it was warm and humid, kind of like, well, no need to explain. Be thankful you did not experience that.

Sounds horrid! Was this on one of the larger ships? We only have experience of the Legend and the Spirit.

While you do pass through an "industrial" part of the ship with industrial-type smells, I have never smelled garbage.

One thing I have noticed on marina days is that the ship's doctor is always on hand in case of an accident, and a couple of years ago a woman slipped and was surely glad the doctor was close by.

The only time I have had the opportunity to swim in the open sea was when I fell off the banana boat.:o

I am convinced that main goal of the boat driver pulling the banana boat is to dump everyone off.

Yes!!! I am pathetic in water and don't like it over my head. When I did the banana boat the driver asked if we wanted to be dumped off. The consensus was no so he didn't! Obviously a banana full of wussies! My husband had to go on again when they were dumped!

• 2 weeks later...

We loved the Marina Day!! Ours began earlier though, I can't remember exactly when, but morning time. Ours was in Triluke Bay.

The Marina was popular on our cruise and we did have some waiting time after signing up for activities. Some, like the paddle boats, are easy to get on, but the banana boat was hugely popular, and when my kids got off they tried to sign up again but the list was full and they were not allowed to. I would recommend arriving on the earlier rather than the later part of the day just to be sure you get to do what you want.

Here's a shot of some of our activities!!

i-9CMDc4L-M.jpg

Archived