Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

1st - Good photo. Nice to see anything not seen before!

2nd - I once asked what happened to the temporary road in front of the large hall 6 doorway that the ships float out through. I was referred to these 2 photos. Like almost everything else at Meyer Werft, it is moved by tugs.

5999244_l.jpeg

5999242_l.jpeg

And here is a video showing how the road will be set in again:

And here is a video showing how the road will be set in again:

Thanks for sharing that. Always glad to get photos and videos like these.

I watched your video yesterday of the launch of the M.V. Reggeborg at the Ferus Smit shipyard in Leer. That wave was crazy! Hope your camera is okay!!

Edit: Have you heard anything about the Quantum of the Seas? There's a scarcity of information and good photos on the internet.

Christmas is coming! I think that Royal Caribbean and Meyer Werft should put something interesting in our stockings!!

Edited by Lloyd555

I was curious about the iFly Ripcord and looked up Skyventure and vertical wind tunnel skydiving simulator and found a few patents under their name. This is one of them. Looks like the Ripcord (Remember - some of the base is under the deck floor).

There's only a mention of a cruise ship in the FIG. 25 note.

What do you think? Am I grasping at straws?!:rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/patents/EP1819592B1?cl=en&dq=flight+simulator+cruise+ship&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GVW0UpvwEOPkyAHY2IDwDA&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAg

imgf0008.png

I was curious about the iFly Ripcord and looked up Skyventure and vertical wind tunnel skydiving simulator and found a few patents under their name. This is one of them. Looks like the Ripcord (Remember - some of the base is under the deck floor).

There's only a mention of a cruise ship in the FIG. 25 note.

What do you think? Am I grasping at straws?!:rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/patents/EP1819592B1?cl=en&dq=flight+simulator+cruise+ship&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GVW0UpvwEOPkyAHY2IDwDA&ved=0CEkQ6AEwAg

Looks like the pictures. The pictures that I've seen of their land based installations have a different appearance than the one on Quantum so this was probably for that. Maybe this is the new design that they are using at new locations though as well. Not sure if this patent is about a new design focused on efficiency or size.

Speaking of the RipCord and delivery of Quantum class pieces, I half seriously asked YouTube's amSeehafen to keep an eye out for a shipment from Mobimar (in Turku, Finland), who are constructing the 150 ton skydiving simulators for the Quantum class.

As mentioned on their site, Mobimar will preassemble majority of the construction in their own facilities before shipping it to Papenburg. By road or water?! Have they already done so? Who knows.

If amSeehafen, who is always out videotaping ships and tugs, sees anything like it, it'll be posted.

Speaking of the RipCord and delivery of Quantum class pieces, I half seriously asked YouTube's amSeehafen to keep an eye out for a shipment from Mobimar (in Turku, Finland), who are constructing the 150 ton skydiving simulators for the Quantum class.

As mentioned on their site, Mobimar will preassemble majority of the construction in their own facilities before shipping it to Papenburg. By road or water?! Have they already done so? Who knows.

If amSeehafen, who is always out videotaping ships and tugs, sees anything like it, it'll be posted.

That should be interesting to see, sounds like a long journey for it. I wonder if they'll even be able to install it before float out. When looking at the silhouettes of the ship RipCord appears to be about half way between the height of the highest deck and the top of the funnels. Meyer Werft always has to install the funnels after float out because of the low ceiling height in the building dock. Could be close or not possible for RipCord.

Lloyd, thanks for the link to the article. The picture is also a wider view, you can see more of the blocks on the left with this photo. Wonder if they have a English translation button on the site like Meyer Werft does.

What I do is highlight the text, and either (1) right click and choose 'Translate with Bing' or (2) copy the text and paste into Google Translate. The translation is off here and there, but you can usually get the jist.

The article in Bing English below. amSeehafen is planning on going to the December 27 & 29 event mentioned and getting some photos. I'm thinking that they may be able to view from the visitor's centre only.

Between the years, the Papenburger MEYER shipyard invites the population from the region and vacationers of home to spontaneous visits to the imposing shipyard and the sophisticated ships.

The "days of the region" are organized by the Papenburg tourist from December 27 to 29. While interested citizens and home tourists can visit the shipyard to discounted admission prices.

New "Quantum of the Seas" cruise ship, and the high-tech research ship "Sun" are likely to be this year in the spotlight.

The "Quantum" for Royal Caribbean International's new cruise ship offers numerous new attractions on board from the bumper cars to a large gondola, which extends far beyond the ship. The research vessel "Sun", however, takes the audience into the deep sea and illustrates the performance of the German marine research.

In the large heated tent, in the vicinity of the new visitors Tower guests can enjoy whatever warming drinks, lunch and cake. Here are also a shop with maritime souvenirs, as well as the cashier at the reserved tickets can be picked.

Starting point of all guides on the MEYER-Werft shipyard, which is the guest by phone or on the Internet at the Papenburg tourist GmbH should pre-register, is again the "Gate 1" or the Tower of visitors at the shipyard. From here the sightseeing tours start - unless there are enough applications - every 20 minutes. Free parking at the shipyard are appropriately marked.

According to the Guide on the Meyer Werft invites the "Papenburger time memory": "Dietrich von Velen" is virtually with the founder of the city on a journey through the history of the city. Also get exciting visitors in the memory inside test activities on the local automotive test site of automotive testing Papenburg (ATP).

More information and tickets see 04961 83960 and http://www.papenburg-tourismus.de

Thanks for the quick translation above. That should be a great event to go to even in the cold. Hopefully as you note we will see some great pictures from amSeehafen. I keep checking Ingrid's site every once in a while but nothing new on Quantum.

Wonder why she isn't/can't post Quantum of the Seas photos again? Other new cruise ships are on her site! Weird.

Was it you that said you had managed to register for & create an account for her website? And if so, are there 'bonus' photos (of the Quantum of the Sea)?

Edited by Lloyd555

Wonder why she isn't/can't post Quantum of the Seas photos again? Other new cruise ships are on her site! Weird.

Was it you that said you had managed to register for & create an account for her website? And if so, are there 'bonus' photos (of the Quantum of the Sea)?

Yes I did create an account. They must be restricted as searching for S697, S698 and the names Quantum or Anthem yield no results. While on the other hand every other ship picture pops up using the build number or name. I cannot even find the engine pictures anymore. It is strange to say the least.

Yes I did create an account. They must be restricted as searching for S697, S698 and the names Quantum or Anthem yield no results. While on the other hand every other ship picture pops up using the build number or name. I cannot even find the engine pictures anymore. It is strange to say the least.

I wonder if royal found the pics from posts on here and made her take them down! I can only guess that maybe there is some sort of proprietary stuff they don't want anyone to see..

I wonder if royal found the pics from posts on here and made her take them down! I can only guess that maybe there is some sort of proprietary stuff they don't want anyone to see..

You know I would not be surprised. There is nothing RCI on the site. I thought at one time she may have had pictures of the Radiance Class ships. Today nothing directly related to RCI is visible. Even the Celebrity ships are visible, so it is strange.

Sometimes I think since NCL has the next build in line behind Anthem they (RCI) don't want their secretes out. But then NCL could have done the same thing while their ships were being built and have a complete blackout to press and tourist. I'm sure Meyer Werft does not like this restriction as they want the world to be exposed to the beautiful ships they build and at the same time create some excitement for cruising. Since RCI is the client, they must have a say on what info gets put out there I suppose.

You know I would not be surprised. There is nothing RCI on the site. I thought at one time she may have had pictures of the Radiance Class ships. Today nothing directly related to RCI is visible. Even the Celebrity ships are visible, so it is strange.

Sometimes I think since NCL has the next build in line behind Anthem they (RCI) don't want their secretes out. But then NCL could have done the same thing while their ships were being built and have a complete blackout to press and tourist. I'm sure Meyer Werft does not like this restriction as they want the world to be exposed to the beautiful ships they build and at the same time create some excitement for cruising. Since RCI is the client, they must have a say on what info gets put out there I suppose.

It truly makes no sense at all. I'm fascinated by the building process, the fact that something that big floats, houses some many people, and yet no big crowds in any one spot. The mechanical aspect just blows my mind how they have it all figured out and keep it running smooth

It truly makes no sense at all. I'm fascinated by the building process, the fact that something that big floats, houses some many people, and yet no big crowds in any one spot. The mechanical aspect just blows my mind how they have it all figured out and keep it running smooth

I'm with you, it is really fascinating. Going to Meyer Werft and see it "live" is on my list of things to do if I am ever in Germany.

I'm with you, it is really fascinating. Going to Meyer Werft and see it "live" is on my list of things to do if I am ever in Germany.

I can only hope to get there one day, I also wanted to go to Finland and see the yard there, but I don't know if I will ever make it there.

I can only hope to get there one day, I also wanted to go to Finland and see the yard there, but I don't know if I will ever make it there.

Yes let's keep hope. What's the saying, wherever there is a will, there is a way. Something like that.

So what are the chances we will wake up tomorrow morning and see a "nice clear" and new update of Quantum in Hall 6?

Yes let's keep hope. What's the saying, wherever there is a will, there is a way. Something like that.

So what are the chances we will wake up tomorrow morning and see a "nice clear" and new update of Quantum in Hall 6?

I keep hope every week to see a nice clear shot, or even a double shot ! Fingers are crossed

While in New York yesterday, I was able to look at the Norwegian Breakaway close up. It is a huge ship and really drove home to me how big that assembly building at Meyer Werft really is. I would love to visit the facility when I get to Germany some day.

I expect we will see some progress on the webcam after Christmas. It is fun to follow the construction of these cruise ships, even if the updated photos are slow to arrive and small in size.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr