Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

I was doing some digging in patents filled for Royal Caribbean International and found some cool pictures that could mean nothing at all, but its fun to speculate.

I think these relate to Quantum because there is one photo of a drawing of the new family connected staterooms that will be on quantum.

US07617790-20091117-D00004.png

Here is a photo showing new balcony glass, I haven't seen it on any other ships yet.

US07617790-20091117-D00010.png

That's not the interesting stuff though, it's the dining room pictures that are cool:

US07617790-20091117-D00011.png

US07617790-20091117-D00012.png

Those pictures are described as being for a MDR and nothing else, so it would be cool to have a giant glass window like that on either side of the ship.

I just thought this was interesting stuff that RCI has filled as a patent yet we haven't seen this on any of there ships yet - so you never know!

Those ARE cool! What do those numbers represent? Was there language in there around those numbers? Also, when were the patents filed? That may give some more insight.

Great find!!

Sooooo far away!!!!!! That wasn't very nice of them!

Of course, if they're planning on moving the ship forward this week, then that's a good view. :rolleyes:

Edit: It's amusing that when you Google for an image of Meyer Werft or Quantum of the Seas, many of the images that appear are from boards.cruisecritic.com.

Ever heard of it? :rolleyes:

Edited by Lloyd555

Of course, if they're planning on moving the ship forward this week, then that's a good view. :rolleyes:

Edit: It's amusing that when you Google for an image of Meyer Werft or Quantum of the Seas, many of the images that appear are from boards.cruisecritic.com.

Ever heard of it? :rolleyes:

Hahaha yes! The struggle!!

Those ARE cool! What do those numbers represent? Was there language in there around those numbers? Also, when were the patents filed? That may give some more insight.

Great find!!

Here is the descriptions on the patent:

As seen in FIG. 12, the cruise ship (10) has a main dining room (45) with a plurality of spaced tables (46) and chairs (47). An upper mezzanine level (48) is provided also having table (46) and chairs (47) at spaced locations (see also FIG. 13.) Transparent glass paneling (49) extends along the upper mezzanine level (48). As seen in FIGS. (12 and 13), a floor to ceiling clear transparent glass window (50) brings light and openness from the outside environment into the interior of dining room (45) and mezzanine level (48).

Main Dining Room

The main dining room includes a upper mezzanine level and double height windows extend upwardly from the main dining room to the mezzanine level. Alternative dining restaurants are located on the mezzanine level surrounded by glazing.

It was filled on Oct. 17th 2007 and was publicated on Nov. 17th 2009. They just renewed it on March 7th 2013

As seen in FIG. 12, the cruise ship (10) has a main dining room (45) with a plurality of spaced tables (46) and chairs (47). An upper mezzanine level (48) is provided also having table (46) and chairs (47) at spaced locations (see also FIG. 13.) Transparent glass paneling (49) extends along the upper mezzanine level (48). As seen in FIGS. (12 and 13), a floor to ceiling clear transparent glass window (50) brings light and openness from the outside environment into the interior of dining room (45) and mezzanine level (48).

Main Dining Room

The main dining room includes a upper mezzanine level and double height windows extend upwardly from the main dining room to the mezzanine level. Alternative dining restaurants are located on the mezzanine level surrounded by glazing.

It was filled on Oct. 17th 2007 and was publicated on Nov. 17th 2009. They just renewed it on March 7th 2013

So, restaurants within the restaurant! That's really nice. I wonder if these would be not for fee restaurants, but may be part of a rotational model (like on Disney). I'm also wondering if that means that they will have the for fee specialty restaurants outside of the MDR.

I wonder what the patent is on. I'm guessing that they're not the first to have a multi-level dining room with glass.

If nothing else, let the speculation begin!

Main Dining Room

Looks like whenever they get a design idea they patent it. I'm thinking they used the floor to ceiling clear transparent glass for Two70 (as well)?

Edit: While posting, these photos popped up on Facebook. Some blocks sitting on deck, likely at the other end of the hall by the visitor centre's viewing window.

November102013byFBMaxFrey_2_zps1a3f1feb.jpg

November102013byFBMaxFrey_3_zps97ebadc6.jpg

November102013byFBMaxFrey_1_zps04548dba.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555
Misjudges location! though that they were IN the basin.

Lloyd - With not much from the webcam, went back to look at some recent pictures. The one above here is interesting as I was trying to figure out what the small windows on deck 8, 9 and 10 are. I think those are the Family Jr Suite windows of 8624, 9624 and 10624 above. So the other third of these cabins for all decks are on another block to come. Similar type windows are also visible in the video you posted a few days ago showing the blocks from the back door. Mid aft section cabins on decks 7, 8 and 9. e.g. 7664 7668, 7670, 7674 and those above.

There are some of those small windows in this block we saw in hall 5 (top photo) as well. Same block as the one in video perhaps.

MovedblocksOctober_zps7042114e.jpg

Main Dining Room

Any chance at getting a look at the description for 44? The reason that I ask is that after looking at some of the blocks, the glass that has been installed looks to be straight.

I'm wondering if the glass on sketch #44 is for one of the areas, and not for cabins?

One other thing. Sequentially, the numbers are really consecutive, which makes me wonder if the balconies are going to be part of the dining experience. I wonder if they're adding veranda style dining to the MDR. That would be different!:D

Any chance at getting a look at the description for 44? The reason that I ask is that after looking at some of the blocks, the glass that has been installed looks to be straight.

I'm wondering if the glass on sketch #44 is for one of the areas, and not for cabins?

One other thing. Sequentially, the numbers are really consecutive, which makes me wonder if the balconies are going to be part of the dining experience. I wonder if they're adding veranda style dining to the MDR. That would be different!:D

After looking at the CGI fly-by video of the ship from the quantumoftheseas.com site, the glass balconies on what I think is deck 13 seems to align to figure #11 balcony glass from the patent sketch.

If this is deck 13, It makes me wonder why those balconies would receive a different treatment than the rest of them.

I've outlined the sections in the attached image.

Quantum.jpg.abef4c5473d40417f5d626c89493610b.jpg

Edited by Overtyme

There are some of those small windows in this block we saw in hall 5 (top photo) as well. Same block as the one in video perhaps.

MovedblocksOctober_zps7042114e.jpg

Yeap that is the same block in the video. There are four of those type cabins on each deck of the starboard side starting on 7, 8 and 9.

After looking at the CGI fly-by video of the ship from the quantumoftheseas.com site, the glass balconies on what I think is deck 13 seems to align to figure #11 balcony glass from the patent sketch.

If this is deck 13, It makes me wonder why those balconies would receive a different treatment than the rest of them.

I think you and hcps-osullivax both are onto/found something. Looking at the picture on the main page for Quantum, you can definately see the difference in the balcony glass. It almost looks like deck 12 may also have some, but it could just be the reflection.

Great find guys.

The pattern that your seeing is actually the supports for the pool deck. The patent's beams only go at an angle half way in height while these go the entire distance. The other half of the cross pattern is the reflection. It does look like the patent and fooled me until I looked a little closer. If you look at any of the other ships with this same design style (Celebrity Solstice class has it for 2 decks) design you will see similar supports. Between the overhang and pool deck noise above you and the supports in your view I'm not sure a cabin on deck 13 is a very desirable location. Oh and 13 is bad luck.

In order for this patent to be implemented it seems like it would require that the cabins on each floor be staggered from the ones above and below. Not sure how that would effect ship construction and design though.

meet-the-ship-header.jpg

Number 44 is just for the patent for the design of the shape of the glass on the balconies, because they make a crystal light reflection.

Here is the sight of the patent (after reading the entire thing it was stated that the first picture of the ship has certain important aspects of it removed - I think it was done to stop people like us catching on to what ship they have patented this for)

http://www.google.com/patents/US7617790?pg=PA1&dq=royal+caribbean+international&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OgWBUuzdJ6O-sQS8yIHICQ&ved=0CD8Q6AEwATgU

Edited by hcps-osullivax

There are a lot of really cool details in this patent! A garden area, where light comes down from a glass enclosure, A Main Dining Room with several spaces (already pointed out), Clear glass ceilings at the top of each stairwell (use caution ladies :eek:) and some other details in the patent.

Great find! Thanks for sharing!!!

Defenitley a good find. Nice to get a heads up of sorts of what is to come in furure RCI ships.

Does this mean that you don't think that these things are not part of the Project Sunshine build?

Are there some elements that you think are not part of this build and some that you think are part of the build, mentioned in the patent?

:(

Does this mean that you don't think that these things are not part of the Project Sunshine build?

Are there some elements that you think are not part of this build and some that you think are part of the build, mentioned in the patent?

:(

Of course they could be part of the Quantum class. I was rushed when I wrote that. My boss needed me in a meeting! :rolleyes:

Number 44 is just for the patent for the design of the shape of the glass on the balconies, because they make a crystal light reflection.

Here is the sight of the patent (after reading the entire thing it was stated that the first picture of the ship has certain important aspects of it removed - I think it was done to stop people like us catching on to what ship they have patented this for)

http://www.google.com/patents/US7617790?pg=PA1&dq=royal+caribbean+international&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OgWBUuzdJ6O-sQS8yIHICQ&ved=0CD8Q6AEwATgU

This patent is assigned to Crystal Cruises and is not owned by Royal Caribbean. Note how the crystal-like appearance may be related to the name of the ship, for example, Crystal Harmony.

The reason that it came up on a Royal Caribbean text search is because the examiner cited "Royal Caribbean Freedom Class Virtual Tour" as a reference.