Day by Day Cruise Review: Grand Princess Alaska/Glacier Bay May 20, 2013

MilliesMom

Mary, did you happen to notice if they had the "On Deck for the Cure" 5k walk? I think it's usually the last sea day.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I planned on doing the walk on our Emerald cruise last year, but we ended up staying up sooo late the night before, hanging out with our daughter and the other singers and dancers, that I did not make it there. This year it is a little more personal for me since my sister has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, she is doing great, but it's a long process and a long time to be worried about a recurrence. So I'm definitely planning on participating this cruise (In 15 DAYS - YAY!):)

Thanks centralcalicruzer .... I was making cards for soldiers (a weekly project with my friends) and just saw the question.

I checked the Patter for times ... last sea day at 1:15. Says to bring your completed registration form. Last minute sign-up at 1 pm. Wheelhouse Bar, Deck 7 Aft.

15 days!!!! So excited for you. You are going to have such a wonderful time on the cruise.

Thanks centralcalicruzer .... I was making cards for soldiers (a weekly project with my friends) and just saw the question.

I checked the Patter for times ... last sea day at 1:15. Says to bring your completed registration form. Last minute sign-up at 1 pm. Wheelhouse Bar, Deck 7 Aft.

15 days!!!! So excited for you. You are going to have such a wonderful time on the cruise.

That's great! On the Emerald last year it was at 9:00 a.m., which normally wouldn't be that early for me, but we had been up until 3:00 visiting with our daughter and some of her friends, and I just couldn't get myself out of bed in time. I hadn't signed up in advance, and even if I had the money goes for a good cause so it wouldn't have been a big deal if I lost out. 1:30 sounds great though.

A question from one of our family members sailing on the Grand with us next week... does Princess provide shampoo, conditioner or body wash in the shower like they do on Carnival?

I read that the new Royal Princess has this, but have never seen it in shower pics from the Grand or heard about it on CC.

There is shampoo, conditioner and body lotion in the bathrooms. Bar soap too.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know! I planned on doing the walk on our Emerald cruise last year, but we ended up staying up sooo late the night before, hanging out with our daughter and the other singers and dancers, that I did not make it there. This year it is a little more personal for me since my sister has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully, she is doing great, but it's a long process and a long time to be worried about a recurrence. So I'm definitely planning on participating this cruise (In 15 DAYS - YAY!):)

You are very welcome! Glad to hear your sister is doing well - enjoy your cruise!!:)

A question from one of our family members sailing on the Grand with us next week... does Princess provide shampoo, conditioner or body wash in the shower like they do on Carnival?

I read that the new Royal Princess has this, but have never seen it in shower pics from the Grand or heard about it on CC.

Yes, they definitely do. It is eucalyptus scented. There was shampoo, conditioner and I think body lotion plus bar soap all scented. Because of allergies, I brought our own and never tried them.

Cabin steward will replace as needed.

Thanks everyone for the shampoo/soap info! And thanks Mary for the pics!

You are welcome.

I know too there is a hair dryer in the cabins too, but my hair is short that I never had the need to use it. My hair is so fine it literally dries in minutes. So no freezing hair out on deck in Glacier Bay. :D

Edited by MilliesMom

hello mary...i'm trying to find the information about the bon voyage experience, bve. do you have the information and/or the form that needs to be completed? i don't remember if i saw it on this thread or another one from the grand but i thought i'd ask you. is it on the princess website?

thank you and cheers

hello mary...i'm trying to find the information about the bon voyage experience, bve. do you have the information and/or the form that needs to be completed? i don't remember if i saw it on this thread or another one from the grand but i thought i'd ask you. is it on the princess website?

thank you and cheers

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/03/20/princess-bon-voyage-experience/

On my blog ...

https://book.princess.com/BookingSystem/jsp/home/ship_visit/BonVoyageExperience.jsp

On Princess website

Anyone can sign up for this, you DO NOT need a travel agent to do the booking. If someone is cruising that day that you know, then link their reservation to yours so that they get priority boarding, lunch, tour, photo too. There is no additional charge to the cruising passenger. Cruising passenger CAN NOT sign up for the BVE themselves, they have to be linked to a non-cruising passenger who is participating in the BVE.

It was a great experience:

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/06/03/cruise-review-day-1-grand-princess-san-francisco-may-20-2013-monday-part-1/

On my blog

Our friends signed up for BVE and we linked the reservations. Our experience of that day is on the link above. it was GREAT!!!

If you want to repeat the cruise in 2 minutes, 30 seconds - check out this time lapse video I compiled (one of almost 350 I have compiled over the last 4 cruise seasons).

Enjoyed your video ... was fun to see the ship come back into San Francisco and sail under the Golden Gate Bridge. We were in the cabin at the time so didn't get outside to see it. (loved it on our first day heading out).

I went through the patters and all the "add in" documents they gave us in the patters and at the end of each day. I can't find anything that references the laundromat.

I do know one day we went to take photos and it was locked.

As I said, we never used the laundry (self-serve or the ship one for a fee).

Yes, it was open during our cruise on May 10th. We used it after we got back onboard the ship in Ketchican.

B

Wonderful!! thanks so much!!! We are on July 9th and with two kids, I can't imagine packing 10 days worth, we'll do some damage control about halfway through. :) (plus I've always met the nicest people on board in the laundry room!)

I just wanted to tell you that your review and photos were fantastic. I'm going on the Coral Princess May of next year and I can't wait. We have a mini suite, doing the precruise cruisetour for 3 days. Seeing your pictures is very exciting.

I just wanted to tell you that your review and photos were fantastic. I'm going on the Coral Princess May of next year and I can't wait. We have a mini suite, doing the precruise cruisetour for 3 days. Seeing your pictures is very exciting.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed the review and photos. You are going to have such fun on your cruise too. It is such beautiful scenery all over in Alaska. I know you won't be disappointed.

My wife of 38 years and I are on the Grand 10-day Alaska out of SFO in July. Read you did the Bon Voyage Experience so a few questions… What time was lunch? Which dining room? Did you order off the std menu?

Also, what were the MUTS they played? Was it too cold to watch them in the eve?

You’ve posted such a fantastic day-by-day travelogue – did you post the daily Patters?

Thanks! LOVE your travelogue! Enjoyed both reading it (multiple times!) and sharing it with my wife!

Thanks!!! Brian